Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2021, 17:41   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1
Anyone know really what’s included with Beneteau three year factory warranty?

I rencelty bought a 2018 Beneteau and it’s still under warranty until the end of this month. My problem is the things wrong with the sailboat don’t seem to be covered under warranty.

Had a charging issue and it was not covered.
Have a rain water link in the aft cabin and was ignored.
Fusion stereo not broadcasting VHF and was ignored.

Is this normal? I’m wondering if it’s just me asking to much.

Thank you for any replies - Sam
Sam Woodbridge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 07:13   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Anyone know really what’s included with Beneteau three year factory warranty?

Is the warranty written? If so whatever is contained within the four corners of that document are what is covered. If you feel you have been wronged then file a claim in small claims court. Call your secretary of states office and they will inform you whom to serve papers to for any business doing business in your state. It may very well be a broker which is legally representing Beneteau for business transactions.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 07:22   #3

Re: Anyone know really what’s included with Beneteau three year factory warranty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Woodbridge View Post
My problem is the things wrong with the sailboat don’t seem to be covered under warranty.
Quote:
Had a charging issue and it was not covered.
What was the root problem?

I cannot imagine a battery being covered in ANY warranty. If the issue is with the charger, then I would assume that would be covered by the charger manufacturer as that is a 3rd party item that was simply installed by the vessel manufacturer.

Quote:
Have a rain water link in the aft cabin and was ignored.
I would assume this would be covered under warranty.

Quote:
Fusion stereo not broadcasting VHF and was ignored.
I would think this would also be covered by Fusion, not the vessel manufacturer. (I didn't even know you could monitor VHF on the Fusion. Everywhere I have a Fusion stereo, I also have a VHF radio).
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 07:29   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Anyone know really what’s included with Beneteau three year factory warranty?

I would imagine the stereo would come under its manufacturers warranty as opposed to Beneteau.. not sure it's a standard factory fit.
Charging problem also likely not covered..
As for rainwater leak in aft cabin.. depends, is it due to structural failure, damage or just dried out seals.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiot' of the West still pays for the beat of the Apartheid Drum.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 07:41   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
Is the warranty written? If so whatever is contained within the four corners of that document are what is covered. If you feel you have been wronged then file a claim in small claims court. Call your secretary of states office and they will inform you whom to serve papers to for any business doing business in your state. It may very well be a broker which is legally representing Beneteau for business transactions.
Orion Jim, thank you for your thoughts. The sale of the boat came from a dealership. I have a copy of the warranty, but it’s written lawyer style. I’m no where close to going to court over the small items that need fixing. I’m just curious what other people think.
Old 05-01-2021, 07:45   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
What was the root problem?

I cannot imagine a battery being covered in ANY warranty. If the issue is with the charger, then I would assume that would be covered by the charger manufacturer as that is a 3rd party item that was simply installed by the vessel manufacturer.

I would assume this would be covered under warranty.

I would think this would also be covered by Fusion, not the vessel manufacturer. (I didn't even know you could monitor VHF on the Fusion. Everywhere I have a Fusion stereo, I also have a VHF radio).
Shrew,, thank you for your thought. Yes I agree I’m leaning away from Beneteau and more towards the manufacturers of the items I’m having problems with. I just wanted some input from you guys and thank you.
Old 05-01-2021, 07:49   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I would imagine the stereo would come under its manufacturers warranty as opposed to Beneteau.. not sure it's a standard factory fit.
Charging problem also likely not covered..
As for rainwater leak in aft cabin.. depends, is it due to structural failure, damage or just dried out seals.
Thank you Boatman61 for your thoughts. The rainwater link in the aft cabin is most likely due to someone having the compass out and not replacing the gasket when it got put back in and I’m thinking the plastic housing might be slightly cracked from over tightening the screws. Also the same for the Yanmar control panel on the pedestal. Someone probably had it out and didn’t replace the gasket when it got put back in.
Old 05-01-2021, 07:57   #8

Quote:
The rainwater link in the aft cabin is most likely due to someone having the compass out and not replacing the gasket when it got put back in and I’m thinking the plastic housing might be slightly cracked from over tightening the screws.

Also the same for the Yanmar control panel on the pedestal. Someone probably had it out and didn’t replace the gasket when it got put back in.
That sucks. Assessing blame will depend on whether it was a factory install or part of dealer setup. (A lot of options are installed at the dealer, not the factory). It could have been during service as well, but odd for such a late model boat to have to take stuff apart.

I was doing work on my windlass. I'm not sure if was installed at the factory or dealer, but when they cut the hole into the balsa cored deck, they didn't bother to seal the exposed balsa coring. I suspect they assumed that the windlass itself was sealed with caulk. Unfortunately, the hole is the hawse where the chain passes through. So, I have no idea whether they thought I was going to dry the chain before storing it in the locker while I was retrieving it. Plus, rainwater can make it's way in there as well.

I ended having to hog out all the rotted coring and fill the sandwich with marinetex.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 08:36   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
That sucks. Assessing blame will depend on whether it was a factory install or part of dealer setup. (A lot of options are installed at the dealer, not the factory). It could have been during service as well, but odd for such a late model boat to have to take stuff apart.

I was doing work on my windlass. I'm not sure if was installed at the factory or dealer, but when they cut the hole into the balsa cored deck, they didn't bother to seal the exposed balsa coring. I suspect they assumed that the windlass itself was sealed with caulk. Unfortunately, the hole is the hawse where the chain passes through. So, I have no idea whether they thought I was going to dry the chain before storing it in the locker while I was retrieving it. Plus, rainwater can make it's way in there as well.

I ended having to hog out all the rotted coring and fill the sandwich with marinetex.
Shrew sorry to hear about how your windlass got installed. That’s something you shouldn’t have to deal with. Sometimes I’ve wondered how professional are the people putting these sailboats together or how well a mechanic knows his business.

I know for a fact someone was messing about with my boat before I bought it. I found a bolt laying next to the sail drive and found that it was the very bolt that held the forward, neatrul reverse cable on the sail drive shaft. The shaft was splined and key and was still super tight, so I put the bolt back in. And that was the reason someone had the compass out and Yamnar control panel, to gain access to the cable for forward, neutral, reverse.

Oh well Shrew, thank for your reply and I’m glad we are both capable of working on our own boats.
Old 05-01-2021, 08:41   #10

Many things are not installed by the factory. Those would usually not be included in a factory warranty. I would go on record with a letter regarding the rainwater leak though. Those can be tough to fix. You need to document your request BEFORE the warranty expires.
Not that I'm optimistic about really getting anything done. Heck, does the warranty require you to return the boat to the factory? Wouldn't surprise me.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 09:01   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Many things are not installed by the factory. Those would usually not be included in a factory warranty. I would go on record with a letter regarding the rainwater leak though. Those can be tough to fix. You need to document your request BEFORE the warranty expires.
Not that I'm optimistic about really getting anything done. Heck, does the warranty require you to return the boat to the factory? Wouldn't surprise me.
Thank you Cheechako for your thoughts buddy. I’ll send them a email over the rainwater link; but the warranty person actually told me in person at the dealership to put some silicone around the link!?! At the time I didn’t know how bad it was and brushed his comment off. I also seem to have shower water linking into the bilge which it shouldn’t be (very small amount) So, at this point that’s what I’ll email and document with them before the warranty expires.

Thanks again - Sam
Old 05-01-2021, 09:03   #12

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 410

I had minor warranty issues with two Jeanneau sailboats that were promptly resolved by the dealer. If you are not able to resolve your warranty issues with the dealer, send a report to Beneteau America, copy to the dealer.
pschleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 09:15   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

Uhhgh wrong question. It is up to you to do everything to stay save out there. Warranty wont help when you are drowning.
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 09:32   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pschleck View Post
I had minor warranty issues with two Jeanneau sailboats that were promptly resolved by the dealer. If you are not able to resolve your warranty issues with the dealer, send a report to Beneteau America, copy to the dealer.
Thank you Pschleck for your response. I like your idea. That’s playing hardball and unfortunately sometimes in life we need to do that.
Old 05-01-2021, 09:34   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by moseriw View Post
Uhhgh wrong question. It is up to you to do everything to stay save out there. Warranty wont help when you are drowning.
Moseriw, I can’t help but agree with what you stated

Tags
beneteau