Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2021, 20:26   #16

Boat: KH 49x, Custom
Re: Anchoring in Bangor Maine.

As a quick update. I'm now in Newport RI. Tomorrow I'll start making calls to the marina in Bangor; I doubt they'll be open yet, but who knows? If that doesn't work out, a friend has recommended some other anchorages, and other airports in the area.

In a related matter. Maine presently requires PCR tests to enter the state, (from most other places) but that requirement will be dropped May 1. We have enough flexibility in our schedule to allow for that, so I'll head to Portsmouth NH first (which is pretty much open), and leave there to time my arrival in Maine (Bar Harbour area) for after the first of May.

Thanks for your contributions.

Cheers.
Paul.
Old 22-04-2021, 04:57   #17

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIT View Post
In a related matter. Maine presently requires PCR tests to enter the state, (from most other places) but that requirement will be dropped May 1. We have enough flexibility in our schedule to allow for that, so I'll head to Portsmouth NH first (which is pretty much open), and leave there to time my arrival in Maine (Bar Harbour area) for after the first of May.
I don't want to encourage bad behavior, but as a resident of Southern Maine I can assure you nobody is being checked at the border. We're seeing record tourist traffic every weekend. Some hotels I'm sure are being diligent about asking for proof (or a statement) about testing status. Beyond that I don't think anyone is going to challenge you.

That said, like everywhere else people congregate we're seeing an increase in cases. Things could change at any time. But even during the worst of the lock-downs last spring, marinas were selling fuel and in some places even accepting transients. Even walking ashore (masked) to provision will be unlikely to raise eyebrows. And, of course, anchorages are a great place to quarantine. Just avoid going ashore to isolated, non-tourist island communities where outsiders may not be as welcome.

Oh, and understand that recreational marinas are unlikely to be "open" before May 15th. That doesn't mean there's no-one there, since this is a busy time for pre-season preparations. And commercial fuel docks are generally open year-round.
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2021, 05:15   #18

Thanks CaptTom. I appreciate your insight.

I agree about not promoting bad behavior, and don't find the restrictions overly onerous, or unfair, so I'll comply with the rules.

If I run out of food, or something life threatening happens, I will do what I have to do, and be considerate while doing so. Barring such an event, I'll be a good boy.

Thanks for the May 15th comment, I wasn't sure when Maine considers sailing season to begin. I'll be making my calls today, and see if Bar Harbor marina will be open, and check on other airports in the area.

Cheers.
Paul.
Old 22-04-2021, 05:19   #19

Boat: sabre 28

FWIW, the city moorings in Belfast should be in by the 15th of May. As others mentioned in Belfast, Front Street & also Thompsons Wharf. Harbor Masters office, 207 338 1142. Roughly an hour from Bangor by car.

I store my boat for the winter @ Mid-Coast Marine, (207 223 4781) 14 NM up the river in Winterport. I know they're trying to get the docks in now. By car, Bangor is 12 miles away.

Personally I'd shoot for Belfast. Nice place with easy access.

Good luck!
Bob
Old 22-04-2021, 05:50   #20

Thanks Misfits. I'll call them too.

Cheers.
Paul.
Old 22-04-2021, 12:45   #21

Thank you all for your contributions.

Nova Scotia just closed it's borders today; so we have to re-evaluate our options.

If we can't get to Nova Scotia, then Maine is still in the cards, but I won't be rushing to get there until it warms up a bit.

Cheers.
Paul.

Tags
anchor, anchoring, maine