Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 29-06-2012, 02:52   #1

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"
Anchoring and Dragging

Just woken up from an entire 4 hours sleep after being on anchor watch last night so had to vent a couple of things.

Firstly, what is it with people wanting to anchor so close? It was bad enough just for the sake of swinging but if something started to drag? In no time at all your in all sorts of problems!

Secondly, why oh why do people goto sleep in a busy anchorage with NO LIGHTS at all on? Never mind an anchor light, a cockpit light or even something shinning through a porthole would do! This is directed especially at those who for some reason think a boat shouldnt be white and have dark blue hulls, like the Bene' 40cc and the UK flaged ketch anchored in Portinatx last night, you know who you are! Nearly motored right into the Bene' as I had no idea he was there!

The reason im asking these (admitedly retorical) questions is that last night the wind picked up big time from the land where I was anchored and lots (including ME!) started to drag! I tried to reset several times but because the boats where so close together, I couldnt safely let out all of my 40m of chain (id originaly set 20m in 4m of water) for fear of swinging into them if the wind shifted. Therefore, I was forced to leave my spot and retrete to the far side of the anchorage so I had more room.

So, question for you, would you rather risk a longer ride to shore in your dink or put yours and others boats at risk just for convienience? It really has amazed me how many people take the second option.

The pic shows what it was like late afternoon, a couple more arrived soon after!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000930a.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	384.8 KB
ID:	42853  

Tags
anchor, anchoring