Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2018, 10:47   #16

Boat: Nordic 44
Re: Am I crazy to buy a boat on the east coast when I live in Southern California?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasick View Post
From our home in Oregon we have purchased a vessel on the Great Lakes sight unseen. Some deals are just too good to pass up. Ours turned out to be a great experience. If the boat you think of purchasing happens to be a wooden boat, then no, I would be hesitant to leave it unattended whether hauled or floating but with honest representation, someone to keep an eye on it etc. I think it is a reasonable gamble if you want to start your sailing life on the east coast.

Personally I hate Panama or at least the Canal Zone experience and so would completely exhaust the potential used boat offerings in Washington, Oregon and BC.
I would never buy a boat sight unseen. Pictures and even surveys don't address many deal killers. The survey cannot tell you if you if you personally love the boat. Would you buy a house sight unseen?

I bought my present boat in Ft. Lauderdale in 1990 and had it trucked to Chicago. That requires two trips to complete the transaction. 130,000 miles later I still love the boat.

I agree with you feelings about Panama. I have been through the Panama Canal twice. Once under American administration and once under Panama administration. I do not care for Panama either but the months it saves are worth it.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 11:00   #17

Boat: Island Packet 350
Re: Am I crazy to buy a boat on the east coast when I live in Southern California?

We keep our boat on the hard during hurricane season at Snead Island Boat Works in Palmetto, FL. and fly home to Oregon. Boats (including cats) are strapped down. My insurance company likes that!
sailorman7225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 11:44   #18

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Yes. You are crazy.

There will always be more boats.

I know how you feel. I'm maybe 2 years from heading south. I keep seeing amazing boats at great prices...and think to myself "this is what I've been waiting for!". But its too soon. There will be more boats. Boats don't store well.

On the other hand, money stores very well. In fact, you put it away and when you go back to check on it...there's even more!

Think of all the wasted costs on storage, insurance, stale fuel, engine cylinders rusting away, hoses decaying from lack of use, insects making your boat their home...etc...etc

When you are ready to go, there will be another boat you will love. There will always be more boats.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 12:01   #19

Boat: olsen / ericson 34

You might want to relax a bit and take a look at what you are doing.

You have not gone thru your own inspection of the vessel, you have not even seen the boat in person, and you have not sailed the boat, yet you are going to write a check sight unseen and have no clue as to what you are really getting. That could be a very huge misjudgement that could not only cost you thousands of extra dollars , but put the binders on your cruising plans.

We have professionally been around all different types of vessels, sail and power, for nearly 40 years now, and I do not trust any thing that a boat owner tells me about how great is vessel is. Also, not all boat owners are even aware of the problems that their boats have. Or hey just do not care.

It takes us about two to three hours to go thru our usual inspection of a boat that we intend on sailing. Many times we find so many descrepancies that we do not bother with a sea trial, or in the case of a purchase, the absolutely manditory Survey.

Also, when we bare boat, or plan on using a sailing club boat, we always go thru our own very in depth inspection . Plus the vessel systems check out by the bare boat charter staff. We do our own inspection first .

Just our own opinion, we would never, and I mean never, buy a boat unseen, un inspected by ourselves, and no sea trial. And, of course a well done survey. And, this vessel you are thinking of is all the way across the united states of America.

I do not think you are nuts, but you may be inexperienced. I know, you are excited and have the dream.

You can live that dream, but it might be a good plan to protect yourself .
Lihuedooley77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 13:48   #20

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

No where does the poster state he is buying the boat sight unseen. So, I don't think that is a factor.

Hoping that someone will check your boat is or can be a dicey proposition. I think it is correct to put the boat on the hard. Set up proper ventilation and dehumidification procedures. I would also pull the mast and tarp the boat heavily.

I also agree with some of responses that u might just wait until u r free of Southern California and able to go about it unfettered. But if u found the boat and u can't restrain yourself make sure u do a very good inspection with a real seatrial. Don't take her out in 2 knot winds with 1 foot bay chop. Be very vigilant at all of the flex points on the aka and ama connections.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 19:25   #21

Boat: 55 fleming

years ago I knew a man from California who kept his boat in Florida. He said that the cursing on the East coast was much better than Ca and flying back and forth was not that expensive when you compared the difference in coast of keeping a boat in Florida and California.
wesevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2018, 11:11   #22
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

The OP isn't crazy. (His psychiatrist went to great lengths to make sure I understood that.)

IF you are sure you have a firm timeframe.
IF you are sure you can get solid insurance including hurricane coverage.
IF you see the boat youself, agree it is still a bargain, and can take care of any leaks or other "NOW" work.
IF you can get it to a reasonable storage yard.
IF you know how to lay up the boat, and/or can get someone to visit weekly or bi-monthly to check up on the boat.

Then the idea is perfectly sound. Hurricanes are more of a problem in Florida, but you may remember Tropical Storm Sandy pretty much chewed up the Northeast coast up past NY and NJ? So, these days a hurricane must be allowed for, all the way up.

I'd want to be comfortable with the insurance, with the yard itself, and to have the hulls firmly attached to hurricane anchors as well. If that feels foolish, just say they are lightning grounds. And yes, that also means mast down, decks clean, so it is storm-ready. (Not so bad to pull the mast and have anything refit that way while you are at it.)

If for some reason the schedule doesn't work out, or a leak and humidity cause mushrooms to sprout in the boat...Then the picture changes, and can get way more expensive. Still, if the price is right and the boat is in good shape? It pays to go out and look at it, and see what the local options for sheltered storage are. Keeping it 100% out of Cali can also help keeping it out of Cali taxes.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2018, 12:07   #23

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by magentawave View Post
I found what looks to be a good deal...
What looks to be a good deal, now, won't seem like such a good deal after you factor in multiple airfares, long term storage, trying to get things done a continent away, etc.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2018, 05:18   #24

Boat: Defever sun deck 43feet

If you want a cheap sail boat come to Rock Port Texas now . I can sell you a cat or any boat for $5.00 after the hurricane.😭😭😭😭 Check out what a hurricane does to boats even on the hard it knocks them off the standings! Even the stack storage building full of boats were totaled. I don’t even talk about insurance 😭😭😭
Defeverboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2018, 06:17   #25

Boat: in the works

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasick View Post
From our home in Oregon we have purchased a vessel on the Great Lakes sight unseen. Some deals are just too good to pass up. Ours turned out to be a great experience. If the boat you think of purchasing happens to be a wooden boat, then no, I would be hesitant to leave it unattended whether hauled or floating but with honest representation, someone to keep an eye on it etc. I think it is a reasonable gamble if you want to start your sailing life on the east coast.

Personally I hate Panama or at least the Canal Zone experience and so would completely exhaust the potential used boat offerings in Washington, Oregon and BC.
Not only that, but a canal crossing is pretty expensive and could change that great deal into an average deal. Not knowing what the boat is or the $ involved.)
jefjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2018, 07:44   #26
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

why not just buy one in cali. you can save the pinche sales tax by doing baja navals 90 day or 365 day yacht club purchase and keep it in mexico--that is only 60 miles south of san diego and available for use at any time you manage to wrench yourself away from the more important things in life to go visit it. and the tacos are better in mexico. hahahahaha
why bring more boats into cali.. cali is overrun with abandoned boats as it is.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2018, 08:10   #27

It depends.
DO you plan to go cruising the end of the year? No problem then, buy it and yes dry store it.
DO yo have years before you go cruising? Then NO dont buy it.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, cal, california, east coast