Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2024, 16:47   #1

Alberg 30 seacock replacement?

1970 Alberg 30

I am having my boat hauled out and replacing the seacock for the engine water intake. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if there is any access in this boat to the other side of the bulkhead the valve is mounted to. The valve is nearly down the centerline of the boat, and it seems like a long way for the seacock pipe to go from the outside of the boat to the valve location. I can see the valve is bolted to the bulkhead underneath the engine compartment but can't seem to find any access to the other side of this bulkhead.

It seems to be underneath the built in ice box, but there appears to be no access. I'm wondering what those bolts are attached to on the other side. One photo is zoomed in closer and you can see the 3 bolts on the right side where it goes through the bulkhead. The other is zoomed out where the center compartment under the floor is that has the batteries and is directly forward of the engine compartment.

https://imgur.com/AyAF1R2
https://imgur.com/UBN0OH1

mjh410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2024, 17:16   #2

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom
Re: Alberg 30 seacock replacement?

If I see that correctly those 3 bolts do not go thru a "bulkhead".
They go thru the hull, the other side is the water.
The opening you took the picture thru is a partial bulkhead that has an opening cut out of it to access the valve.
Old 27-03-2024, 17:34   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowdrie View Post
If I see that correctly those 3 bolts do not go thru a "bulkhead".
They go thru the hull, the other side is the water.
The opening you took the picture thru is a partial bulkhead that has an opening cut out of it to access the valve.
I could be wrong, but I don't think so. That space where the batteries and cutout is is underneath the wooden floorboard in this photo. I think that valve location is too far to the center of the boat for the other side of that to be water isn't it?

https://imgur.com/Kacclk1
Old 27-03-2024, 18:31   #4

Boat: Sea Sprite 34

Your thru hull in the picture has a wedge shaped backing plate. It is located on the hull itself. What the batteries are sitting on and where your floor boards sit is the liner, on the A30 the liner is about 1/4" thick. I've owed both liner and non-liner A30s....the engine thru hull is in the same place on both. Much easier to get to on non-liner boats. Check all the thru hulls on these boat...if it's factory installed it may not be a true thru hull and need to be replaced.
1966 Alberg 300 Jante II hull #150.....preparing to get underway!
USCG 100T Master Near Coastal
Cruiser2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2024, 18:44   #5

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser2B View Post
Your thru hull in the picture has a wedge shaped backing plate. It is located on the hull itself.
You're right, and to the OP, I wouldn't go fussing around with those bolts while boat is in water.
They actually look to be cap screws that are threaded into something within that block, or perhaps the block itself?
Anyway, it appears that the valve has an integral flange.
Old 27-03-2024, 19:31   #6

Thank you both. It is in the water, and no I won't mess with the bolts while it's in the water. I'm got some info to have it hauled out and the storage facility does some work on boats, they said they can replace the seacock, so with any luck they'll know what they are looking at and can get it replaced easier than I can on my own.

The ground is still frozen and have some ice yet on the ground so they are not accepting any new boats yet in their yard. The temps have been rising so we're hoping in the next week or two the last bit of ice on the ground will be gone soon and I'll have it hauled out.
Old 27-03-2024, 19:54   #7

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh410 View Post
Thank you both. It is in the water, and no I won't mess with the bolts while it's in the water. I'm got some info to have it hauled out and the storage facility does some work on boats, they said they can replace the seacock, so with any luck they'll know what they are looking at and can get it replaced easier than I can on my own.

The ground is still frozen and have some ice yet on the ground so they are not accepting any new boats yet in their yard. The temps have been rising so we're hoping in the next week or two the last bit of ice on the ground will be gone soon and I'll have it hauled out.
I suggest that you be there when the replacement is done so that you can see and understand just what is what.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2024, 20:25   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
I suggest that you be there when the replacement is done so that you can see and understand just what is what.
Assuming they are fine with that, I would prefer that.

I also considered that once it's out of water, I'll be able to see what the outside of the hull looks like and look at the thru hull. I can remove the bolts on the inside and attempt to do it myself and always get them to finish it if I can't. I've watched videos on changing a thru hull on an Alberg 30, I just can't quite figure out what those bolts are threading into or holding onto, compared to the video I've watched where the thru hull pipe threads into the back of that valve plate.

That's why I was thinking that it was a bulkhead and the bolts where threading into nuts on the other side somewhere.

Boat ownership is new to me so I'm figuring it out as I go. Fortunately it was well maintained and good safety features and upgrades were installed by the previous owner. They had taken it out for a 45 day trip and were out on the water not docked for over 30 days two summers ago. They also lived aboard it for a while after their house had burned down.

Tags
alberg, men, alberg 30