Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2022, 21:57   #46

Boat: Boatless in Seattle. Ex- Alberg 30, 30’ Gillnetter, 63’ Wm. Hand Ketch, 36’ Lapwor
Re: Alberg 30 as "bluewater" cruiser

Iam a big fan of the A 30. Just found this link on UTube. James is a little rough in the beginning but does a nice job showing how he overcame real adversity sailing his Alberg 30 singlehanded from LA to Rangiroa and the Tuamotus via Hawaii.

I posted this particular link because of his presence of mind on the ocean when he lost his rudder 1000 nm from Hawaii. Real life drama here.

His latest videos show you what you can do with an A 30, if you just go sailing. Good stuff. Good boat study also.

BTW, if/when he completes his circumnavigation, James will be the 8th, maybe 9th person to solo around the world in an A-30. I’ve heard of two A-30’s now, that are currently enroute. Not bad for boats made in 1966.

https://youtu.be/vvPM8Y-GP64
Glenn.Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2022, 07:30   #47

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn.Brooks View Post
I’ve heard of two A-30’s now, that are currently enroute. Not bad for boats made in 1966.

https://youtu.be/vvPM8Y-GP64
Would it be possible to show a list of who you know about?
My friend Terrell Adkisson circumnavigated in Altair, a 1975 hull, in 1975-1977. Prompted me to buy my A-30, hull #589. I get extremely nostalgic thinking about her.
Old 24-10-2022, 19:36   #48

Boat: Boatless in Seattle. Ex- Alberg 30, 30’ Gillnetter, 63’ Wm. Hand Ketch, 36’ Lapwor

Here’s the background I worked up 10 years ago.

https://www.alberg30.org/boat/Alberg...navigators.pdf

I heard bout Terrell’s voyage at the time I was researching, but never managed to find out much about his adventures or what became of the boat, other than it was still sailing on the Texas coast.

Since then, Dave Dosanji left Seattle in my old boat - Dolce, #318, built 1968. Last I heard, circa COVID he was tied up in Tanjian, China. He first sailed to Hawaii, twice into the So pac, then on to Phillipines, and mainland China.

Of course, we know about James, aboard Trinteila, an early 1965 with wood rudder, currently cruising the Tuamotus.

There also is a possible third circumnavigator whom I read about earlier this year, departed Southern Cal for the Pacific. Can’t remember his name or the boat. May have translated the Panama Canal. Wondering if this earlier notation might be James. If anyone knows, please annotate…

Are there others in the last 10 years?

Thanks
Glenn
Old 24-10-2022, 22:27   #49

Quote:

I heard bout Terrell’s voyage at the time I was researching, but never managed to find out much about his adventures or what became of the boat, other than it was still sailing on the Texas coast.

Since then, Dave Dosanji left Seattle in my old boat - Dolce, #318, built 1968. Last I heard, circa COVID he was tied up in Tanjian, China. He first sailed to Hawaii, twice into the So pac, then on to Phillipines, and mainland China.

Of course, we know about James, aboard Trinteila, an early 1965 with wood rudder, currently cruising the Tuamotus.

There also is a possible third circumnavigator whom I read about earlier this year, departed Southern Cal for the Pacific. Can’t remember his name or the boat. May have translated the Panama Canal. Wondering if this earlier notation might be James. If anyone knows, please annotate…

Are there others in the last 10 years?

Thanks
Glenn
There is another from around the Chesapeake. He set off about 2 years ago. Last I heard he was in Tahiti. It is a boat I would be on my short list of Offshore Pocket Cruisers.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2022, 22:48   #50

Happ, thanks much. This would probably be Jason Jernigan, aboard Lora hull#499. He just emailed from Mayotte island, off the northern tip of Madagascar, headed for Cape Town.
Old 24-10-2022, 23:02   #51

Glen you are correct it is Jason.
Old 25-10-2022, 03:26   #52
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie12 View Post
For me 30 foot is a bit too small to live on.

depends on which 30 footer.
Old 25-10-2022, 07:23   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
That price seems way off to me though. Maybe he meant $15,000 even with an old engine since you can use a new 6-9.9hp outboard on this type boat which you can get for just $1700-$2500
Many of these older boats go for these prices. However they need work if you are going over vast distances. Add electronics, sails, standing and running rigging, motor, dinghy etc. and you can easily be at $50k. One had a totally rebuilt and the owner was at $80k. Still thats about 1/3 of the cost of a new 30’.

Having chatted with a few who have crossed oceans they plan for 80 to 100 miles a day.
Old 26-10-2022, 21:04   #54

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40

Quote:

Terrell passed away about ten years ago. Altair was given to his nephew Leon Singleton of Baton Rouge, who had made much of the voyage with him. I have not heard anything about the boat since.
Old 04-09-2023, 06:27   #55

Boat: Alberg 30

Hi all! I'm Jason Jernigan. I finished my circumnavigation in June 2023 aboard Lora #499. I know this is an old thread but thought if someone finds this and is interested in the Alberg 30, I'm happy to answer questions. Just to give some answers to questions that came up previously.
I planned on 100nm days, I normally averaged about 120nm. My best day was 200nm and second best was 176nm. I had multiple days over 150nm. I often surprised my friends on bigger boats, my advantage on the bigger boats was light wind days if they didn't fire up the engine. I love my boat! I'm planning a second circumnavigation and if I'm single handed again it will be on Lora.

I believe from the Alberg 30 association that I'm the 5th Alberg 30 to circumnavigate.

If anyone has any questions about the boat or sailing one around the world. I'm happy to help.

Jason
jjernigan1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 07:10   #56

Jason you own the boat James did a totally refit on. I saw the video from him as you pushed off on your Circumnavigation. Way to go completing that voyage.
Old 04-09-2023, 07:15   #57

Happ, yes. James has been an invaluable help to me. He did the refit for the owner before the guy I bought the boat from. James did weather routing for me the whole way around and provided lots of advice and specialized parts when I needed them. If I can afford it and James doesn't retire, I hope to take Lora back to him for a mini-refit before the next trip around.
Old 04-09-2023, 08:08   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happ View Post
Many of these older boats go for these prices. However they need work if you are going over vast distances. Add electronics, sails, standing and running rigging, motor, dinghy etc. and you can easily be at $50k. One had a totally rebuilt and the owner was at $80k. Still thats about 1/3 of the cost of a new 30’.

Having chatted with a few who have crossed oceans they plan for 80 to 100 miles a day.
Boats can be gotten for less than $10k if you going to do a complete refit. Yes it will cost close to $90 if you do a complete job inside and out. This would put the boat in a capable world cruiser. Consider a new Beneteau 30 geared up you will be in the $250k range.
Old 04-09-2023, 08:57   #59

Jason, congratulations on tying the knot! Wonderful to hear you are contemplating another go. Looks like there may be an additional two A30’s currently underway - all singlehanded. You are in very exclusive company! Well done.
Old 04-09-2023, 09:12   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happ View Post
Boats can be gotten for less than $10k if you going to do a complete refit. Yes it will cost close to $90 if you do a complete job inside and out. This would put the boat in a capable world cruiser. Consider a new Beneteau 30 geared up you will be in the $250k range.
I'd say I ended up between 45-50K all in on the boat and cruising gear by the time I departed.

Tags
alberg, alberg 30, Bluewater, cruise, cruiser, water