Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2022, 17:01   #31

Boat: Boatless in Seattle. Ex- Alberg 30, 30’ Gillnetter, 63’ Wm. Hand Ketch, 36’ Lapwor
Re: Alberg 30 as "bluewater" cruiser

Yep, Ok, my mental math missed the mark. The edit feature on this forum disappeared before I could go back and correct. The important thing is: as a 30’ cruising boat it’s still a 5-6 kt boat. so 100-120 miles per day would be a nice run - same as any other displacement hull with similar lines.

And it does stand up very nicely in 50kts with deep reefs in the main and small jyb. Very well balanced and stable. Most all the Alberg designs are noteworthy in this regard.
Glenn.Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2022, 20:27   #32

Boat: Island Packet 29

Doesnt Sailor James have an Alberg 30? I love old boat but I dont like how cramped they are and the quarter berths are dinky if they have one at all.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2022, 22:16   #33

Boat: Boatless in Seattle. Ex- Alberg 30, 30’ Gillnetter, 63’ Wm. Hand Ketch, 36’ Lapwor

Yes they are quite narrow by today’s standards. Just a Bit over 8’ beam. I singlehanded for most of 40 years and thought the narrow beam was actually a plus for bracing yourself in the cabin and working the gear on deck. I ran all the lines into the cockpit so had reefing,,sheets and halyards right at hand. Worked well for me, yet big enough for weekend sailing with three other crew if family or others wanted to come on board.

I don’t think Whiby built any with pilot berths. Acouple of owners may have done so on their own. There are two big fleets on the east coast, around 700 boats or so total, so lots of customization over the years. Factory design usually was aft galley to stbd, ice box to port at the rear of the cabin. Settee/ double forward one side of the main cabin, a single berth to port. Then main bulkhead, hanging locker/head amidships, v berth focs’le forward. Definitely traditional cruising layout. Not a Harbor queen, but a good family boat overall.

One advantage these days is you can often find fairly complete boats in reasonable condition for $4k-$6, fully upgraded and equiped sometimes for $15-19k. So fairly economical to go set up for cruising on a tight budget. The Whidby hulls continue to have almost no history of blistering, and little to no delimitation. Their heavier layup i think, contributes to their longevity.
Old 28-09-2022, 04:29   #34

Boat: Bristol 27

A friend of mine had an Alberg 30 for a while.

I really liked the way it looked on the water with sails up.

He ended up refitting it and replacing the A4 with a diesel.

Later he bought a Westsail 32.

Now he has a Cape Dory 25 he got for free and refitted
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A30.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	466.0 KB
ID:	265076   Click image for larger version

Name:	A30.1.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	467.7 KB
ID:	265077  

Name:	A4.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	308.2 KB
ID:	265078  
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2022, 12:43   #35

Boat: no boat any more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn.Brooks View Post
...And it does stand up very nicely in 50kts with deep reefs in the main and small jyb. ...
50kn =10Bft, 29-41' seas
(after more than 3 rtw I have to say: "BS!")
Old 28-09-2022, 14:32   #36

We were in sheltered waters, so the seas were mild. The whole point of my comment is to let people know the characteristics of the boat. It handles very nicely in a variety of conditions.

Not quite sure why that is so hard to understand...
Old 28-09-2022, 15:01   #37

Alberg designs do fine offshore.

That's all that needs to be said, but that can get you in trouble close to shore.

25' Folkboats have sailed the North Sea singlehanded and circumnavigated

The Alberg designs are very similar

https://www.classicboat.co.uk/articl...rdic-folkboat/

Contessa 26 another Folkboat spinoff

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tim-Wright.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	286.2 KB
ID:	265099  
Old 28-09-2022, 23:47   #38

Quote:
We were in sheltered waters, so the seas were mild. The whole point of my comment is to let people know the characteristics of the boat. It handles very nicely in a variety of conditions.

Not quite sure why that is so hard to understand...
while the A30 is a very nice looking vessel, I object to outrageous claims of owners about their & their vessels sailing prowess
Old 29-09-2022, 11:23   #39

So the Alberg 30 is definitely a Bluewater Boat as it was based on the tiny (24'-25') Folkboats which have crossed oceans numerous times.

https://www.yachtingworld.com/featur...folkboat-67743

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/in...ional-folkboat

https://sailingmagazine.net/article-540-alberg-30.html
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Folkboat.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	265120  
Old 29-09-2022, 13:28   #40

Yes, actually the folk boat was the original inspiration for the A30. A couple of original owners - who still own their boats- approached Carl Alberg and Whitby and asked them to develop a larger version of the folkboat for family cruising. The A30 is what emerged.
Old 29-09-2022, 14:53   #41

Quote:
Yes, actually the folk boat was the original inspiration for the A30. A couple of original owners - who still own their boats- approached Carl Alberg and Whitby and asked them to develop a larger version of the folkboat for family cruising. The A30 is what emerged.
Yeah, Kretschmer mentioned that in the link above.

My boat is very similar and about the same speed maybe a tad faster depending on seastate

But the A30 is a beautiful boat
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0645 (4).jpg
Views:	53
Size:	478.7 KB
ID:	265134   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0646 (4).jpg
Views:	44
Size:	447.4 KB
ID:	265135  

Name:	IMG_0639 (5).jpg
Views:	48
Size:	455.6 KB
ID:	265137  
Old 21-10-2022, 06:42   #42

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40

Rule number one about all sailboats: there’s nothing practical about them. Don't waste your time seeking practicality in the concept.
Now that we have that behind us, we must admit to ourselves that what we really like about blow boats are the aesthetics- admiring a lovely set of lines, the tranquility (sometimes) of peaceful progress powered only by nature’s essence, quite anchorages, a connection to centuries-old skills and traditions- the list is long. Most assuredly we all like different and often conflicting things.
I owned and happily sailed an Alberg 30 for 10 years. Had our sailing goals not developed further, I would probably be sailing one still. I acquired mine because a friend sailed his around the world. I have heard of at least three other Alberg 30 circumnavigations besides.
I think too many people wrongly bring shore-based expectations aboard. Simply stepping aboard means you should be prepared to do things differently.
I’ve been at this sailing thing a long time. The Alberg 30 is a very sea-kindly boat. I have not found them to be any more wet or motion-prone than any other boat its size. Many designers contend that overhangs- especially at the stern- keep the boat safe in a seaway.
As to room: it’s a 30 foot boat whose room should be compared to a comparable boat without the stern counter, like the Cape Dory 28. What can you really expect.?
Old 21-10-2022, 06:46   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeyrouse View Post
Rule number one about all sailboats: there’s nothing practical about them. Don't waste your time seeking practicality in the concept.
Now that we have that behind us, we must admit to ourselves that what we really like about blow boats are the aesthetics- admiring a lovely set of lines, the tranquility (sometimes) of peaceful progress powered only by nature’s essence, quite anchorages, a connection to centuries-old skills and traditions- the list is long. Most assuredly we all like different and often conflicting things.....I think too many people wrongly bring shore-based expectations aboard. Simply stepping aboard means you should be prepared to do things differently.
I’ve been at this sailing thing a long time. ...
ABSOLUTELY!!!
Old 21-10-2022, 12:11   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeyrouse View Post
I think too many people wrongly bring shore-based expectations aboard. Simply stepping aboard means you should be prepared to do things differently.

it’s a 30 foot boat whose room should be compared to a comparable boat without the stern counter, like the Cape Dory 28. What can you really expect.?
My shorthand is, I love camping!

Truck, car, hiking, tent.

And yes, fulltiming, months at a stretch away from amenities.

Within that context the following is no longer true

> there’s nothing practical about them. Don't waste your time seeking practicality in the concept

In fact out of all the modes, cruising is the most "luxe" version, so maybe glamping is more like
PaulCrawhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2022, 15:31   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulCrawhorn View Post
My shorthand is, I love camping!

Truck, car, hiking, tent.

And yes, fulltiming, months at a stretch away from amenities.

Within that context the following is no longer true

> there’s nothing practical about them. Don't waste your time seeking practicality in the concept
Many of these older pocket cruisers are being refitted with GPS, AIS, inverter, solar panels, outboard motors in lieu of diesels, composting heads, increased water capacity, upgraded dated sail plans, etc. All at about 30% of the cost of a new Beneteau. I know of one of these refits that sailed singlehanded from the East Coast to Tahiti.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alberg, alberg 30, Bluewater, cruise, cruiser, water