Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2019, 13:40   #16

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
Re: Advice on crossing Haro Straight, San Juan Islands

There's another way you can do this. Go up through Thatcher Pass and explore the San Juans as someone posted above. Come out near Sidney, you can also visit Sidney Spit, and go to Sidney or one of the other nearby marinas. It's about a 1/2 hour bus ride to Victoria. Also you can go into Saanich Inlet and visit Butchart gardens via the back door where they have a dock.

This minimizes time spent in open water, but cruising inside the San Juans in summer can be very light winds.

As everyone has said you'll need to watch currents.

My first trips to the San Juans from Seattle decades ago, paper charts, compass, lead line, nav lights, flares, and cabin lights. Sometimes a dink, sometimes not.

Things are different now.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2019, 15:29   #17

Boat: Alerion Express 28

If memory is correct, there an article on this in the current edition of Cruising World.
DEAN2140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2019, 20:57   #18

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Your biggest problem in July will probably be lack of wind but always pay attention. Fog can be a real problem but probably not in July. I lived at Deception Pass when I was young. Love that place.
I prefer the Coast Hotel. Nice docks. Swimming pool, sauna and towels used to be included. Free shuttle to downtown and back or walk. Call ahead for reservation. Good restaurant for breakfast.

Pay attention to advice above especially currents.
Love that trip. See Orcas on the way. Done it 100 times at least.
Last time wind was blowing 80 (yes really) but that was November in a Southern Cross 39 (Sonsie).
Have fun.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2019, 07:48   #19

Boat: 2008 Nordic Tug 37

You have lots of good advice above. I second one point about the Port of Sidney. It is a very nice marina, has Customs and easy bus access to Victoria. It is also a lot shorter transit than sailing to Victoria and a lot cheaper. Prevost Hbr on Stuart Island is a nice place to hang out if you must wait for weather to cross.
Waterford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2019, 08:01   #20

Boat: Hunter 386

We obviously need more PNW question here in the forum. A relatively straightforward question garners 18 answers from a bunch of people with low post counts

We obviously are just bursting with the desire to share!

As for the OP, my only advice is make sure your engine is in good shape given the currents. I would likely stay outside discovery and trail islands on that route, but if you've never done it inside it is a real lesson in confusing currents: SOG of 8 knots, turn a corner and you are down to 3!

Should be glorious sail (or motor) in July.

Tags
san juan, san juan islands