Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2024, 04:34   #1

Boat: Lagoon 400
Windward Islands to Guatemala

Currently in Grenada, soon to be in Martinique. I want to get the boat, a 40 ft catamaran, to Guatemala by mid-April for haul out. Earlier is okay, but not much later than that.

I'm open to either the northern or southern route. We have sailed enough in the eastern Caribbean that I don't feel a need to visit any other islands in particular and am looking for the easiest, most reliable route to Guatemala. No experience at all in the western Carib.

Any suggestions on best route? What's the longest offshore passage to expect?

If going south, I would prefer to sail from Martinique to Aruba/Curacao, staying away from the Venezuelan coast, then on to Columbia. But I'm concerned about the potential high winds and waves near Columbia. And it's unclear to me how easy it will be to sail up the coast from Panama to Guatemala.

On the northern route, I think it would be DR to Cayman Islands, skipping Jamaica.

I will probably be looking for crew in Martinique. At least two more persons (I will be single handing after Feb.20) but the boat will comfortably accommodate more.

Thanks for any insights and suggestions. This forum continues to be a useful source of relatively BS-free advice. Thank you to all who help keep it that way.

Charlie
cjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 05:26   #2

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Re: Windward Islands to Guatemala

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjenkins View Post
Currently in Grenada, soon to be in Martinique. I want to get the boat, a 40 ft catamaran, to Guatemala by mid-April for haul out. Earlier is okay, but not much later than that.

I'm open to either the northern or southern route. We have sailed enough in the eastern Caribbean that I don't feel a need to visit any other islands in particular and am looking for the easiest, most reliable route to Guatemala. No experience at all in the western Carib.

Any suggestions on best route? What's the longest offshore passage to expect?

If going south, I would prefer to sail from Martinique to Aruba/Curacao, staying away from the Venezuelan coast, then on to Columbia. But I'm concerned about the potential high winds and waves near Columbia. And it's unclear to me how easy it will be to sail up the coast from Panama to Guatemala.

On the northern route, I think it would be DR to Cayman Islands, skipping Jamaica.

I will probably be looking for crew in Martinique. At least two more persons (I will be single handing after Feb.20) but the boat will comfortably accommodate more.

Thanks for any insights and suggestions. This forum continues to be a useful source of relatively BS-free advice. Thank you to all who help keep it that way.

Charlie
Leave Martinique and head straight west - trip should be about 8 days at sea. No need to stop anywhere. The trade winds should blow you straight to Guatamala

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 06:04   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Windward Islands to Guatemala

^^^^^

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Guatemala, wind, Windward Islands