Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2017, 05:52   #1

Two or three week trip to the Bahamas

I am looking to take a short, two or three-week trip Bahamas from Fort Lauderdale. I know there's not a lot to do in Bimini so looking for suggestions. Perhaps westend ? my boat is a 44 foot Motor yacht with a cruise speed of about 8 knots
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 06:20   #2

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33
Re: Two or three week trip to the Bahamas

I have been to West End on 5 separate occasions going back to early 2009, the most recent was February 2017. There is less and less to do there every time I have gone. The financial crisis of 2008 killed that place, and then Hurricane Matthew whacked it even worse. If I were you, I think I would just go to Bimini. If you feel lucky, though, why not run over to Nassau and then down to the upper Exumas? You have Highbourne Cay, where you can get cellular wireless, then you have Shroud Cay and Normans Cay below. Plenty of exploring and nice beaches at these places. Weather of course is going to be an issue. Last winter, there was a cold front every week that caused boats to stay put for a day or two (or more). Just kind of rambling here, but this is what I would look at doing if I were making that trip.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 06:24   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Head for Bullock's Harbour from Lauderdale to clear in. Then do the rest of the Berrys.
Old 19-10-2017, 07:35   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Head for Bullock's Harbour from Lauderdale to clear in. Then do the rest of the Berrys.
That's what I would do. We took a two week sail through the Bahamas many years ago. Our route was Ft. Lauderdale to Bimini around the Berries to Nassau to Morgan's Harbor, Andros to Cat Cay to Fort Lauderdale without killing ourselves although we had to endure some weather we would have waited out on a longer trip.
Old 19-10-2017, 09:03   #5

Boat: Krogen, Cutter 38

For a three week trip.
I would go to West End to clear in, cross the Little Bahama Bank hang out in the Sea of Abaco, down to the Berrys, from there to Bimini then back to Ft Lauderdale.

Using that route you never are fighting the Gulf Stream, you are actually using it to help you get to your destinations.

I have done that route several times by sailboat.

You don't mention your draft, that could change things.
Richfind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 09:08   #6

Boat: Island Packet 32

Agree with above. The Berrys are pretty close, have a new pristine anchorage every four hours and are anchored at both ends with facilities. I have done it a couple of times with 9 day charters. You can anchor out after your midnight passage, then cross the banks to Chub and check in. If you can time your crossing of the banks for a clear, near full moon night you will find the Bahama Banks pretty spectacular. Then anchor hop up the archipelago. Don't miss Little Harbor and Flo's Conch Bar. I know Flo is long retired but I'm pretty sure the place is still there. Call ahead on the radio and they go out and get the conch. She would make you up some bimini bread too if the ask the day before. Then you end up in Little Harbor which is a wonderful community and marina. Then a night cross back to Ft. Lauderdale on the north side, past the Hens and Chickens. Enjoy!
CaptRory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 09:29   #7

Boat: Kadey Krogen 39, 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richfind View Post
For a three week trip.
I would go to West End to clear in, cross the Little Bahama Bank hang out in the Sea of Abaco, down to the Berrys, from there to Bimini then back to Ft Lauderdale.

Using that route you never are fighting the Gulf Stream, you are actually using it to help you get to your destinations.

I have done that route several times by sailboat.

You don't mention your draft, that could change things.
Hey Rich, Jack Silcox. Glad to see you are keeping up with the "good stuff".
Probably going to the Chesapeake this coming summer.
Boat is Palm Cove Marina in JAX Beach. kk38@comcast.net
captjack1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 13:01   #8

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

Fly to Marsh Harbor and rent a villa or hotel room. Rent a power boat and cruise the Sea of Abaco for several days, rent a car for the other days and check out the entire island - north to south, or hire a local captain to take you to the offshore reefs for fishing. As you drive the island, you will find you can dive from shore in most places.

Less stress, no waiting on weather windows to cross, no waiting for gas barge to arrive and refuel your vessel, no worry about anchor dragging when you are not aboard. Keep it simple!
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 13:39   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfin View Post
Fly to Marsh Harbor and rent a villa or hotel room. Rent a power boat and cruise the Sea of Abaco for several days, rent a car for the other days and check out the entire island - north to south, or hire a local captain to take you to the offshore reefs for fishing. As you drive the island, you will find you can dive from shore in most places.

Less stress, no waiting on weather windows to cross, no waiting for gas barge to arrive and refuel your vessel, no worry about anchor dragging when you are not aboard. Keep it simple!
If I wanted to do that I wouldn't have a boat
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 14:51   #10

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Quote:

Now here is someone who knows how to relax!
Come to Abaco!
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 15:22   #11

Boat: Chris Craft 38 Commander 1965

Depends on what your definition of “things to do” is when you travel. Travel to islands in the Bahamas doesn’t usually have much activities like going to most typical travel destinations. It’s all about the cruising mostly. Some places like Freeport, Nassau have a little nightlife. Most of the Berries, and Bimini are pretty much taken over by private developments. Cruising is still nice.
If you like visiting towns or small villages and hanging out or meeting some of the locals then really only two places in the northern or central Bahamas come to mind. - the Abacos and north Eluthera around Spanish Wells and threrbouts.
All those other places mentioned are nice places to see if you enjoy the journey and it’s al about the solitude.
I haven’t traveled south of Bimini or Current Cut in Eluthera but anything North of there is remote and quaint except those mentioned above.
A loop from lauderdale - Bimini - west End - Abacos - little Hsrbour - Spanish wells - bullocks Harbour - Chub - Bimini - Home would be a great trip but don’t think you would do much more than stop for fuel and food and move on.
Squanderbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 02:14   #12

Boat: Imexus 28, Malcolm Tennant 46 Timeliner cat

We were cleared in Lucayan marina,to be exactly at Grand Bahamas Yacht Club heading to starbord ,after channel. The owner himself came to help with mooring and within 1/2 hour arranged clearance at the dock - customs and immigration came from marina. They have fuel dock at site and all facilities (thought, wifi was only at the lobby,two years ago).There are rooms available, if ones desire. The cruising and fishing license cost about $300 (for my boat size) and valid for 3 mos. It was apity to leave - I'd like to spend more time
YARGESOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 05:28   #13

Quote:

There is a good point to be made that if you are on a time schedule, the best way to get anywhere in the Bahamas, is by aircraft.

We actually just flew to Marsh Harbor one year and did just rent a boat and a cabin on a canal we could tie the boat up next to.
Old 25-10-2017, 15:44   #14

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

Unless your boat handles Gulf Stream rough water, a 2-3 week trip may be pushing it. Over the years, we've spent up to two weeks waiting for good crossing windows.

Tags
Bahamas