Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2014, 23:23   #16

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Re: Trinidad

Almost everybody has widely different experiences in the most southern windward islands of Carriacou, Grenada (proper) and Trinidad. I suspect most of it has to do with 1 - luck and timing and 2- attitude.
I have had 2 outboard engines stolen in Carriacou which really turned me off since the locals (including the Chief Constable knew who the thief was) weren't interested in doing anything since we were transient foreigners. And to me the place was seriously boring after a week.
However, we spent more than 4 years in southern Grenada - St Georges Lagoon and Clarkes Court Bay / Hog Island. We did not have any serious crime issues ourselves though others did. We loved the social schedule of cruisers in Grenada and loved being able to hike the mountains and waterfalls along with exploring the northern most beaches.
We used to go to Trinidad every year after Hurricane Ivan in '04 but slowly stopped going except for a short visit to do "North American Shopping" as there were mega shopping malls, restaurants, movie theaters and access to what we were used to when living in North America. However, for any, IMHO, comfort, security you need to be in a marina or TTSA. Over time you learn were to shop for boat parts and repairs without paying the normally very high prices in Chag Bay's main boat part stores. But without the proper attitude and buying savvy Trinidad can be very unpleasant.
IMHO, there is a world of difference between the islands of Grenada and north compared to Trinidad. And that is were attitude and savvy comes into play.
So you can expect hugely different tales of various cruiser's experiences in these islands ranging from loving them to hating them. What your experience will be like is not determinable in advance.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 01:56   #17

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
Originally Posted by VieuxMalin View Post
At the end I've stopped in Tyrrel Bay, Carriacou.....so relaxing that I can't be bothered to go anywhere else now (been at sea for 8 months now).
There is a tiny, hectic shipyard here....anybody has experienced it?
I am anchored just in front of it.

we hauled in carriacou a couple of years ago -- but not sure they can haul you -- check with the yard mgr - he is great and will tell you - we are 40' and they could not loosen our backstay so it was a very tight fit into their lift - but once there they did a great job - we did part of the work and they did part - worked hard and a lot of fun and did great work -
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 04:30   #18

Boat: Kirié Feeling 446

Yes TBYH (Tyrrel Bay Yacht Haulout) is small but competent, very friendly and efficient. Paul the manager speaks speaks English and French, he is a yachtsman and very helpful. The only drawback, water is very limited. None of the Grenadines have any water, they recuperate rain in cisterns.

I highly recommend this yard. Prices are also reasonable. But I would also recommend other yards in the region. I am at Coral Cove in Trinidad now and their service is also excellent considering the price.
SaltyTanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 11:24   #19

Boat: Alpa42 Ketch
Send a message via Skype™ to VieuxMalin

A larger than mine boat has been hauled out yesterday.....so, I hope they could manage my vessel.
Interesting facts about Trinidad....but it's quite south, and close to pirates....any issues about it ?
Old 30-01-2014, 13:34   #20

Boat: Kirié Feeling 446

Quote:
Originally Posted by VieuxMalin View Post
A larger than mine boat has been hauled out yesterday.....so, I hope they could manage my vessel.
Interesting facts about Trinidad....but it's quite south, and close to pirates....any issues about it ?
There a no pirates in Trinidad proper, they are in Venezuela but a yacht transiting from Trini to Grenada 4 years ago was attacked by pirates some 40 miles north of Trini. This was the last attack I have heard of on this route. It is still probably a gook idea to have buddy boats during this crossing.
SaltyTanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2014, 09:39   #21

Boat: Sunbeam, 37, Ziamar

I am looking for some advice on Grenada and Trinidad for boat work and storage for several months. I am in Puerto Rico and would like to have my deck resurfaced. I would also like to replace all of my through hulls. (I would do this part myself.) And while on the hard I'd have the bottom cleaned and repainted. I would probably move the boat south in early July since I have a bunch of other things keeping me busy until then.

I'd like any advice on quality of work, labor prices, boatyard prices for haulout and storage, places to stay, close to the boatyard, etc.

I can buy many of the things that I'd need here in Puerto Rico and carry them with me. Things like bottom paint, resin, gelcoat, etc. That might make things easier and cheaper.

I've visited both Grenada and Trinidad in the past but never on a boat. Lore is that prices and quality for this kind of work are both good in Trinidad but I'd like some local knowledge.

Thanks for any comments or advice!!

Bill
Old 17-03-2014, 10:08   #22

Boat: Frers, Pilothouse, 72ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyTanned View Post
Wolfy is this a marina or a yard where your boat was robbed of all this?

I have never had such experiences here in many years. In St-Lucia my boat was broken into.

In Grenada my 15hp outboard was stolen while locked to my boat. And twice I woke with someone either boarding or coming down the companionway at night. These were unarmed young men on drugs and I was able to chase them away just by yelling. The police were useless. Oh they asked me to fill forms allright.

True we do not use the same calendar as Caribbean island folks. Rainydad is a very wet place so yes this will delay much boat work. Workers accept more jobs than the can manage during the busy time of the year. The chandelries run out of many staple items causing more delays.

The cost of living is not cheap here (compared to Canada) so when you hire someone at 15$ an hour do not expect a super pro. This is mainly a commercial marine operation installation, so the very qualified will be tempted to work for a better pay at commercial yards. Still I have had excellent work done here at a reasonable price, but never on time.

The homicide rate is way high even for the Caribbean. Few yachtsmen are ever part of those statistics though. The anchorage is an awful place.

And oh yes. the customs are the absolute worse I have ever had the displeasure of clearing with.

Would I recommend coming here just for fun. Only if you are a masochist. To have work done, yes. To leave the boat and fly home, yes.

I really miss Venezuela though. So many places to visit, so many great island anchorages, so many nice folks (although folks are just as nice here in Rainydad).
It's at Peakes, I'm using a Contractor to oversee the work getting done, but, the key to the boat just seems to float around for anyone to get all the access they want.....nothing left to "borrow" now....so, safe enough.
But she's gonna get wet at last...around mid April....well that's the schedule that I've been promised....we'll see
2 years of cruisin' down the tubes......
Old 11-09-2014, 19:46   #23

Boat: Frers, Pilothouse, 72ft

Let me just clarify....Yes the Boat is in Peakes yard ...but, the Contractor I'm using has no assocation with Peakes, in fact Peakes have done absolutely everything possible to assist me in recifying the poor workmanship and problems that I've had in using this particular Contractor.
I personally can't thank Peakes enough for all of the help.
Old 11-09-2014, 21:14   #24
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
Let me just clarify....Yes the Boat is in Peakes yard ...but, the Contractor I'm using has no assocation with Peakes, in fact Peakes have done absolutely everything possible to assist me in recifying the poor workmanship and problems that I've had in using this particular Contractor.
I personally can't thank Peakes enough for all of the help.
They they get all that from your boat while you were sleeping, or did you leave your boat and fly out of Trini? Doing that is like abandoning it for them because this happens all the time; problems, divorces, broken dreams etc. all lead to abandoned boats there and any boat without owner is put under that same label regardless of it making any sense or not.

The big question is if you will stay bitter over it, which will be noticeable and make your life in the Caribbean h@ll or if you can put this behind you, get a rum and coke and enjoy life

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote