Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2021, 04:51   #1

Trailer Sailer Maine Itenerary

Hello!

I'm in the midst of planning a 2 week trip from the God forsaken land locked state of Oklahoma to the coast of Maine with my trailer Sailer west wight Potter 19. Our intentions are to put in somewhere that'll allow us to hop around and camp/get a room for a night and continue on hopping.

To those of you that have done done this before besides the obligatory "yer gonna die" and "watch out for them pots" what advice and destinations would you suggest?

Thank you very much for any input!
ACOrton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2021, 10:14   #2

Boat: 1997 Hunter Legend 40.5
Re: Trailer Sailer Maine Itenerary

If you want to explore the Casco Bay for a few days in the Portland Area, there are great boat ramps in South Portland and in Brunswick/Mere's Point.

I would probably spend most of my time on Penobscot Bay. There are so many cool islands to explore. I don't know of exact locations of boat ramps, but I would check in the Belfast area. Cool places to visit are Vinalhaven, Swans Island, French Island, Isleboro, Deer Isle, Isle Au Haut, plus lots of smaller islands with good anchorages. You can also sail over to Mount Desert Isle and Acadia National Park. I think there is a good ramp in Northeast Harbor.

There is a book called Cruisers Guide to Maine by Taft that is worth looking. It is out of print but can be obtained from Hamilton Marine's website.

We just got back from a week exploring the area.

Dave

Edit: Watch out for the double lobster buoys in Penobscot Bay.
daveandsara2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2021, 11:09   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39
Re: Trailer Sailer Maine Itenerary

ACORton,
Penobscot Bay is amazing for exploring. But... are you needing to sleep ashore every night?
JoeRobertJr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maine, sail, trailer