Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-12-2017, 10:08   #16

Boat: Leopard 39
Re: Sunsail / Age of Charter Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarcus3 View Post
I wanted to toss out the question for peoples comments on using Sunsail on my first BVI charter.

Also, what's the trade off between older / newer boat (0-1, 1-3,4-6, etc.)

Thanks
My experience has been somewhat different than other posters. First of all I would highly recommend using Sunsail. They are a first rate charter company and will make every effort to see that your experience is as trouble free as possible. They will also compensate you fairly if you have difficulty with their equipment. The people from the front desk to the dock personnel to their captains are all cheerful and willing to help.

That having been said I have had equipment problems on three separate occasions when I chartered their boats. Some were minor like clogged shower drains that were not cleaned after the previous charter or a boat that was checked off as ready to go but didn't have diesel fuel or propane. Others were more serious like an engine transmission that failed leaving us without a port engine the last two days of our charter. On that same vessel (a Leopard 444) the main halyard at one section was worn through the outer cover exposing the inner core. In February of this year we chartered a Jeanneau 41 and while we enjoyed the handling of the boat very much we had multiple problems. Within the first three hours of our charter the lazy jacks parted on the starboard side requiring us to return to Roadtown for a fix. One of the bilge pumps was inoperative which I discovered before leaving the dock. Most of the cabin sole hardware was so corroded you couldn't unlatch them. After the lazy jacks were restrung we headed back out and just made our mooring before the sun went down. On day 2 some of the electronics went out. The windlass would only raise the anchor 1 meter at a time from the cockpit. The handheld control at the bow was completely dead. The depth sounder was dead as well. (These systems checked out fine at the dock the day before.) We radio-ed Maintenance for help and they did send a guy out about 2 hrs later. He trouble shot the system, doing exactly what I had already done, and was unable to figure it out either. The only remedy was to return to base for repair. Having already spent 3/4's of the first charter day tied to the dock I declined and opted instead to continue on. The chart plotter and auto pilot were working so "steady on". The plan was for them to send someone to meet us at Scrub Island, then Cooper Island, then Spanish Town but every time we got to our destination it would have required several hours wait while they got someone to us. We decided to go without their assistance and avoided anchoring as much as possible.

While that may sound like a nightmare it was more inconvenient than overly worrisome. You also might think that such an experience would put me off Sunsail but being a business owner myself I know that sometimes things go off the rails. It was their professional and unhesitating support after all the problems that makes my recommendation of their service possible.

The Jeanneau 41 was the oldest of the vessels we chartered and was in fact at the very end of its 5 year charter period. The 444 that lost its transmission was 3 years into charter.

They have thousands of boats and some charter "guests" treat the boats with less than proper respect. It only stands to reason that every now and then you get a problem or two.

Hope this helps.
Nani Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2017, 22:56   #17

Boat: Oyster 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hhew View Post
Here’s one reason to go with the newer boat: batteries. The boat with the new batteries will hold a charge better. That said, I’ve always been impressed with the overall condition of the Moorings and Sunsail fleet, even the older boats. So if you go with the older boat, don’t scrimp on the charging.
True, but hardly a reason to spend 3 grand, unless you've just got money to burn. I owned a boat in the Sunsail fleet for 6 years, and sailed new and older boats in nearly all the Sunsail/Moorings bases. I never saw $3k difference between the new and older boats.

May is a great time to sail in BVI, better weather than January and cheaper.

I just returned from BVI a few days ago and I was very impressed with the way that Moorings/Sunsail has refurbished their facility and their fleet. They have brought in about 200 new boats, so you might actually get a new boat for the contract price of an older one. Provisioning and fuel are back to normal. Many of the bars and restaurants are operating again, not necessarily fully restored, and more of them will be operating by May, but you will see some heartbreaking damage if you sail to Bitter End, Marina Cay, Trellis Bay, and much of Jost Van Dyke. But if great beaches, clean water, snorkeling, Baths, etc. are your thing, they are as good as ever. And if the crowds are down, that makes the anchorages better.
Dr. Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2017, 09:29   #18

Appreciate all the information. I can't thank you all enough for all the advise and such. Thank you thank you thank you.

One last question, anyone have any suggestions on a Sunsail 38 vs a Sunsail 41 for the two of us? Price is comparable between the two. The biggest difference I see looking through the spec sheets is that the 38 has LED lighting, electric heads and a small solar panel for trickle charging. Thanks!
smarcus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2017, 10:13   #19

Boat: Oyster 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarcus3 View Post
Appreciate all the information. I can't thank you all enough for all the advise and such. Thank you thank you thank you.

One last question, anyone have any suggestions on a Sunsail 38 vs a Sunsail 41 for the two of us? Price is comparable between the two. The biggest difference I see looking through the spec sheets is that the 38 has LED lighting, electric heads and a small solar panel for trickle charging. Thanks!
Go with the bigger boat. Every foot counts. More space, smoother sailing.
Dr. Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2017, 10:49   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sea View Post
Go with the bigger boat. Every foot counts. More space, smoother sailing.
I was thinking the same. Thanks for the confirmation.
smarcus3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter, sail