Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2012, 15:29   #1

Boat: Bristol 27.7
Sunsail Pricing Fair for First Night of Charter ???

We have a charter booked with Sunsail out of Marsh Harbor and now realize that they are charging us a full day's rate for Day 1 but not allowing us on the boat until 6 pm. I understand the Moorings does not charge a full day's rate for sleeping aboard the night before the charter begins but has a reduced rate for the overnight. Before I begin to feel that unfair advantage is being taken by Sunsail, I would appreciate hearing from those of you who have chartered from either Sunsail or the Moorings or both in the Bahamas and can tell me whether this practice is commonplace or is a sign Sunsail is not playing fair. (It also raises the question for me of whether the two companies are linked or are completely separate entitities.) Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this.
JoeGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 15:46   #2

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran
Re: Sunsail Pricing Fair for First Night of Charter???

I am paying $90 for a couple to sleep on a Seawind in the Whitsundays boarding at 4.30pm night before 7 day charter.

That includes a meal and bottle of wine for $90.

Cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 16:38   #3

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

I own a Moorings boat and trade in other areas, and also chartered before I purchased. As you indicated I paid less for a sleep aboard, starting the charter the next day.

While Sunsail and The Moorings are both owned by TUI marine, they still have some separate operating policies and some of the boats that have been in the fleet are still of differing qualities. Sunsail is often a bit cheaper, but one pays for that in other ways as you are discovering.

I've done trade time in Marsh Harbour often, and just returned from a 10 day cat charter there. Even though the boat is not guaranteed until 6:00 pm, it would not surprise me if it is ready for you earlier. If it's not, leave your luggage in the office and go do your provisioning. (It's very easy to provision yourself there.)

In addition to chartering there several times, I've spent a couple winter's in the Abacos on my own boat, so I'm happy to chat about any locations or other things related to the Abacos. Feel free to pm me. Also, some island and information pics on my Abacos website:

bahamasmariner.com/abaocs (As always, still in progress...)

Have a great charter. I love the diversity the Abacos offer. On my recent charter we were able to get an anchorage to ourselves every night (9) and enjoyed catching and eating about 10 lobsters. You don't find that in many charter locations....
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 14:31   #4

Boat: Bristol 27.7

Dave...I've tried to send you a message directly. I'd love to chat and get your advice. I've tried to include my email in my other message to you, so I hope you can be in touch and I can ask more about your experiences in the Abaco's. Thanks!
Joe Goodman
JoeGo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter