Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2014, 16:29   #31

Boat: 1984 34 Oday
Re: St Vincent and grenadines yellow flag

I never said it was a requirement and I was just relaying information not looking to get into a debate on international maritime law. The input has been most entertaining but not what I started this thread for. Don't over think it and always sail safely. Have a great debate. Over and Out.

The Lady Euphoria
justjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2014, 16:31   #32

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

While you may think you are correct based on years of not having problems breaking the law, or just thinking that you know what the law is, everyone here has been trying to tell you that you are, indeed, wrong on this.

There is no reason to be nasty to the messengers.

Please point to a legal definition that you have. Others have pointed to those showing the opposite of what you believe to be true.

Here is the official St. Vincent definition of clearance, and it hasn't changed in many, many years: "Visiting yachts arriving in St Vincent territorial waters must proceed to a port of entry to clear in before stopping in any other port or anchorage. Fly the 'Q' flag and dock or anchor in the port of entry.."

It does not get much clearer than that.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2014, 17:14   #33
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I hope John understands that the discussion is not about him.... but clarity on the proper procedures, for those new to cruising worldwide.

Historically, in the days of sailing ships, port management prioritized on health first which is why even today Quarantine officers are always the first to inspect to make sure there are no contagious diseases on board.
Athough the boarding party is made up of various departments..... Q-officers take the lead in processing so always show them preference.

If in doubt about arrival procedure...you will often find a Quarantine Anchorage marked on the chart.... So anchor there first and continue to try and make contact with Port control for instructions.

That way...you are following international convention.

Beaware ... After 9/11, port security upgrades are tighter ... So you are often expected to file/email pre-notice from last port PRIOR to arrival.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:59   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I hope John understands that the discussion is not about him...
He does seem to have taken it rather personally. I don't think anyone here meant personal criticism.

It is just that this is a rather confusing subject, to a large extent because of the very fact that it can change from country to country, and from time to time within a country. Not to mention that the laws as they are written, and how they are actually implemented/enforced, is often quite different. That's why these kinds of discussion (so long as they are kept civil, and I think this one has been) can be extremely helpful to those who wish to travel from country to country.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:40   #35

Boat: 1984 34 Oday

Steady lads. I don't take anything personal here. And I don't care what piece of cloth, dirty draws or crate paper you run up your mast. I was given information and passed it on. Then a legal debate broke out. To each captain and master on there own boat. But it sure is sweet of you all to care about my last feeling. . If you really want to help the new cruiser. TELL THEM TO TURN ON THE ANCHOR LIGHT AT NIGHT!!!

The Lady Euphoria
justjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:49   #36
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
St Vincent and Grenadines