Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2022, 04:35   #46

Re: St Pete Forbids People From Staying Overnight on Their Boats???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
I’ve been doing this for 35 years now. 35 years of consecutive boat ownership.

This is the first time in my life I have ever heard of a situation like this.

Typically they roll out the red carpet for you when you are spending $10,000 or more.

It was never communicated or discussed in any way whatsoever. Because I had never heard of it.

To me, it seems like they might have anticipated it since I delivered the boat hundreds of miles up here for them to work on. They visited my boat in the other location. They saw that I was living in my RV and I had a helper living here in the boat.
I've been at it for 30-years, including 5-years as a full time delivery skipper, and about 7 years as a liveaboard. Pretty much a DIYer. I've been to more backwater docks and repair service places than I can count. Several i can think of would not be tenable for liveaboard. I just can't rolling-up and assuming I could just liveaboard for 2-3 weeks, especially if it were a deal killer. It's their property, their policy.

When/if you get more clarification on basis of restriction, can you post an update? Your subject header levies criticism at the city of St Pete, my home town these days. But if the issue is a strict owner, a policy, impractical logistics, safety concern, insurance restriction, etc, would be good information.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2022, 04:41   #47

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
I've been at it for 30-years, including 5-years as a full time delivery skipper, and about 7 years as a liveaboard. Pretty much a DIYer. I've been to more backwater docks and repair service places than I can count. Several i can think of would not be tenable for liveaboard. I just can't imagine making an assumption I could just liveaboard, especially if it were a deal killer.

When/if you get more clarification on basis of restriction, can you post an update? Your subject header levies criticism at the city of St Pete, my home town these days. But if the issue is a strict owner, a policy, impractical logistics, safety concern, insurance restriction, etc, would be good information.
I think in this thread we determined it’s just the yard I’m at.

The laws were looked up and they do not support what I’m hearing here.

So the city of Saint Pete is off the hook I think.

But yeah. Their property. Their policy. My money. I don’t have to give them any of it.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2022, 04:57   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Are there no ride share companies in the US?
In Europe we have the fantastic Blablacar system.
Yes, there are ride share companies if it's not too far.

Otherwise, a one way car rental will do the trick (Enterprise advertises that they will pick you up).

I'm still not clear why it wasn't clarified if he could stay on the boat ahead of time. It's hit and miss at working yards if you can stay, so makes sense to check before showing up.

A lot of vagueness and confusing statements. I'm betting there is more to the story about hearing people talking about looting the boat but hard to figure it out without a clear explanation of what is happening.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2022, 04:59   #49

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50

Quote:
I’m hoping it doesn’t come to that. Especially because my Mast is here.

Just in case, does anybody know of some good multi-hull Riggers in Tampa Bay Area?

I’m hoping things will work out just fine here. But just as a back up in case it doesn’t go right.
Snead Island might be able to help. I have used them once to unstep my mast, and were pretty good at it, and they also did my shipping prep. They do not allow you to work on your own boat there, and I would definitely ask about living on board as the work is done..They are just inside the Manatee River off Tampa Bay.

https://www.sneadislandboatworks.com/

Good luck to you.
Old 20-12-2022, 05:00   #50

Boat: CS27, C&C25 half a lifetime ago

Quote:
Why don’t you ride a greyhound in the usa and report back to me on your experience. This isn’t Canada

Where do you think the person on their boat is going to put all the stuff they steal? Are you thinking that through or no?
You are not well acquainted with Canada, are you?

If it is not wedding season in Florida there should be no shortage of cherub decorated white Rolls Royce's for hire.

Good luck with those windmills, Don Chotu.
5BTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2022, 05:02   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Yes, there are ride share companies if it's not too far.

Otherwise, a one way car rental will do the trick (Enterprise advertises that they will pick you up).

I'm still not clear why it wasn't clarified if he could stay on the boat ahead of time. It's hit and miss at working yards if you can stay, so makes sense to check before showing up.

A lot of vagueness and confusing statements. I'm betting there is more to the story about hearing people talking about looting the boat but hard to figure it out without a clear explanation of what is happening.
I often wonder why people get so confused on this forum when you tell a story. Why is that?

More to the story about hearing the people talking? What else can there be? I’m on the boat. They don’t know I’m here. They are just talking freely as they step on the boat and step on the dock. How is there more to the story? That’s just something I heard one of the guys saying.

Why do you guys make these threads so complicated? It’s pretty simple stuff. And when I say these threads, I mean the ones where something happens to someone. Always trying to add extra details in that don’t exist. Lol
Old 20-12-2022, 05:03   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5BTM View Post
You are not well acquainted with Canada, are you?

If it is not wedding season in Florida there should be no shortage of cherub decorated white Rolls Royce's for hire.

Good luck with those windmills, Don Chotu.
Well, that one guy did cut off the guys head on a Canadian greyhound. I remember that from a few years back. So I guess yours are just as bad. And yes I’m very well acquainted with Canada. It’s super peaceful and nice up there. Until it isn’t. Then it really goes downhill fast. But mostly it’s nice.
Old 20-12-2022, 05:52   #53

Quote:
I often wonder why people get so confused on this forum when you tell a story. Why is that?
I too was confused. Unclear whether you wanted a solution or just rant. Unclear whether the issue was a St Pete code or something else. Unclear why you believed you had permission to liveaboard. Unclear whether the policy is just a strict business owner, some sort of logistics (e.g. they secure their yard and it's not suitable), insurance requirement, etc. I know it seems cut/dried to you - it's fresh in your mind and a bit raw. But from this side of the conversation, it's a bit murky. Just trying to understand so I can avoid a similar fate in the future.

You won't like this, but expecting the rigger to get you to your RV because they won't let you use their facilities as temporary housing just because you're spending money is a bit entitled. I would certainly be pissed-off too, but would direct it at myself for not asking a pretty obvious question. That said, wish I were in town to offer some local support (ride, etc.). I certainly wish you well -
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2022, 06:01   #54

Boat: 1998 Catalina 320

Sorry Chotu but, reading your many posts, you seem to be evolving into a drama king.

When you're a liveaboard and need to go to a boatyard, the obvious question to ask is whether you can stay on board. In the vast majority of cases in Florida, the answer is no because of code regulations.

I presume you are at SSMR Rigging in Salt Creek. You can't live aboard because there's no pump out, among other things, that would keep you from fouling the small body of water.

Also, the boatyard does not want strangers wandering around its property for security and insurance reasons. All reasonable for an urban area, in my opinion.

When my boat was there being rerigged a few years ago, it sat for several days with the cabin unlocked. No problems because the boatyard has the place secured.

Trying to live aboard on a budget requires being flexible. You can ride a free bus from downtown to 34th Street and check into a cheap motel, then spend your time enjoying the area.

Florida is just not the place for a cruiser to seek out special accommodations. You're just one among tens of thousands of boaters here, many sporting big bucks. If you don't have the money, they just shrug.
Shanachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2022, 06:06   #55

Welp…. I’m sticking with them.

The riggers are very nice and I think they’ll do a good job (as I’d always thought).

They are kind enough to give me a ride to the RV. So that kind of solves the problems.

It’s very inconvenient, but it should work out.

Morning marina worker banter was the general boatyard employees, not the rigger or his employees.
Old 20-12-2022, 06:10   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
I too was confused. Unclear whether you wanted a solution or just rant. Unclear whether the issue was a St Pete code or something else. Unclear why you believed you had permission to liveaboard. Unclear whether the policy is just a strict business owner, some sort of logistics (e.g. they secure their yard and it's not suitable), insurance requirement, etc. I know it seems cut/dried to you - it's fresh in your mind and a bit raw. But from this side of the conversation, it's a bit murky. Just trying to understand so I can avoid a similar fate in the future.

You won't like this, but expecting the rigger to get you to your RV because they won't let you use their facilities as temporary housing just because you're spending money is a bit entitled. I would certainly be pissed-off too, but would direct it at myself for not asking a pretty obvious question. That said, wish I were in town to offer some local support (ride, etc.). I certainly wish you well -
Thank you. That’s a nice post.

Constructive criticism. Lol and still a nice post.

I’m just not used to the way things work down here. When you travel you have to do as they do in Rome, right? This is not what it’s like where I’m from.

So, I didn’t understand the policies of boat yards. And I remember getting into something on the form about that before. A confusion about boat yards and marinas. Where I’m from, they are kind of the same thing. You go to a place and they haul you out and they do all of the work. There are docks. There are showers. We don’t really have a boat yards up north. At least not many. The marinas do everything. They are called a full-service marina. Not that I use them very much anyway. I mostly am someone who travels. I don’t have one particular spot. You know. A cruiser. Like the forum name?

But this is a case of When In Rome.

When is Florida, the rules are different. At least this part of Florida.

My confusion though, is what if you get dismasted in Florida? It turns into a disaster? You have to get a hotel you can’t just have someone fix your mast?

If I didn’t have an RV in storage down here, I would be up the creek.

I’m not from Florida. I’m traveling here.
Old 20-12-2022, 06:13   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanachie View Post
Sorry Chotu but, reading your many posts, you seem to be evolving into a drama king.

When you're a liveaboard and need to go to a boatyard, the obvious question to ask is whether you can stay on board. In the vast majority of cases in Florida, the answer is no because of code regulations.

I presume you are at SSMR Rigging in Salt Creek. You can't live aboard because there's no pump out, among other things, that would keep you from fouling the small body of water.

Also, the boatyard does not want strangers wandering around its property for security and insurance reasons. All reasonable for an urban area, in my opinion.

When my boat was there being rerigged a few years ago, it sat for several days with the cabin unlocked. No problems because the boatyard has the place secured.

Trying to live aboard on a budget requires being flexible. You can ride a free bus from downtown to 34th Street and check into a cheap motel, then spend your time enjoying the area.

Florida is just not the place for a cruiser to seek out special accommodations. You're just one among tens of thousands of boaters here, many sporting big bucks. If you don't have the money, they just shrug.
I guess this is kind of where I’m really confused.

I’m not a live aboard. I’m somebody traveling in Florida. I don’t think that matters though. Right?

You would think after all the years I have come down here, I would understand this. Apparently not.

When it comes to anchorages, the cops that come around and check you out know the difference. When it comes to marinas, like municipal marinas, they know the difference. But it when it comes to a boat yard, which I am only now kind of getting a feel for what that is, there is no distinction between somebody brewing up a mess on their boat that is sinking and someone traveling through the state? Is that right? So anyone that has a problem with their boat that is traveling is required to get off the boat and get a hotel? Is that right?

A lot of you are from here. So you take it for granted. But I have never seen this really sharp distinction before between boat yard and marina. And the incredibly different policies each have.

Even the place I built the boat. That would qualify as a boat yard. They did all of the work. But they had docks. They were also a marina.

This is my first experience with something called a boat yard that is not a marina.

I’m not sure why you guys keep taking swipes at me about not having any money? Apparently I am paying for this whole project and a rigging company. Why does money always come up in these posts?

PS: good news about no pump out. I don’t have any through hulls below the waterline. So it doesn’t matter. But I can see why that would be the case for others.
Old 20-12-2022, 06:17   #58

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

It depends on the yard. Some are fine with people staying aboard while work is being done, others don't want anyone staying aboard overnight (sometimes for insurance reasons). Sometimes it depends on whether they're just a yard or a yard and marina. But usually that information is made available up front, so it wouldn't be a surprise at the last minute like this turned out to be.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2022, 06:25   #59

And guys. I’m sorry if I went a little bit bonkers. The stress level was so high that I was shaking almost all night last night.

I was making posts in the middle of that.

I had just completed somewhere between six and eight weeks of work without a single day off. 12 hour days every day. All boat work. This was in preparation to come here and get the rigging done. I had an appointment. I made it. That’s pretty rare when you’re installing steering systems and electrical systems and whatever else. But I did it. Through not stopping for a month and a half or two months. I don’t even remember. It’s been so long.

Then I had a full week delivery in some pretty crappy conditions over the last week.

That delivery was also a shake down. Not financially. Like a shakedown cruise. Things went wrong. I had to figure them out. Adjust them fine-tune them.

Then when I got here, I was ready to collapse. Keep in mind I’m working with heart failure and a fairly recent heart attack during all of this. That’s not helping me.

In any case, I was ready to collapse when I pulled in here. Exhausted. I made it but exhausted.

To have some guy screaming at me to leave two hours after I got here and after everyone else already left the marina?

That was really stressful. On top of the exhaustion. So I apologize if I sounded like a drama queen or something. And you can call me a queen. I can take it. Ha ha. You don’t have to say drama king.

That’s what happened. So again I apologize if I was a little bit bonkers in the way I was posting. But that’s why. Utter and complete exhaustion. Coupled with the stress of someone stepping onto your boat and yelling at you when you just arrived and you have nowhere else to go and don’t really even know where you are.
Old 20-12-2022, 06:28   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
It depends on the yard. Some are fine with people staying aboard while work is being done, others don't want anyone staying aboard overnight (sometimes for insurance reasons). Sometimes it depends on whether they're just a yard or a yard and marina. But usually that information is made available up front, so it wouldn't be a surprise at the last minute like this turned out to be.
Yeah. I guess so. It varies is probably the best rule. Call ahead. Ask about every little detail. That’s the take away here I think.

Never assume when you are traveling that you can stay on your boat while it is being worked on. A new concept to me. But, it is what it is. All the more reason to use marinas as little as possible.

Still have no idea what I’m going to do about my bottom paint because it’s about a three month wait in this area. And I tried them all. Snead Island, everybody around here. Anybody that can haul 25 foot beam. They don’t have any availability for bottom paint.

I sure wish I was in my home sailing region. I kind of don’t like Florida that much anymore. It’s OK to pass through. To anchor. Even to use the municipal marinas on occasion. But when it comes to dealing with the marinas here, I’m done.

I don’t think the city life is for me anymore.

Tags
boat