Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2009, 04:08   #16

Boat: Boatless
Quote:
Cruising News: For some time now I see that the Dinner Key Mooring Field is installed but no boats on moorings so I asked at the Dock Masters office and they tell me that the field is complete but that the city is short on funds for the dingy dock and the portable (trailer) bathrooms and showers.
Having lived on the Miami waterfront for 6 years, why would this surprise me, 220 mooring balls and no toilets or dinghy dock! Three years go the City spent $7,000,000 or so renovating a large dock downtown. They cleaned it up and got rid of some unsightly metal things, unfortunately when the USCG Eagle visited they discovered the unsightly metal things were mooring bollards...nowhere to tie up!! We were told by the City Waterfront Manager that the USCG shipped in two 8 ton mooring blocks from Baltimore to tie up to.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 04:41   #17
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
On a tight budget can't beat key west dinghy dock $26 a week for secure dinghy dock, water, trash and place to lock bike. Can get closer to dock anchoring than at mooring balls. Last time I was there there were only a small percentage of balls occupied. Tortugas is a must visit place short hop from there. Closest thing to the carribean in US mainland waters.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 04:59   #18
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
WOMEN? you want to find WOMEN? Try sailing into South Beach, and you will find plenty of single women. Melanie, and I use to go to Lincoln Road just to people watch. Get some t-shirts made that say single sailor on it with a pic of the boat. Don't forget to carry a club to fight them off with........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 06:54   #19

Boat: Allegro 33
Id wear a t-shirt where it says "Nobody does it better". Had a T shirt like that once, got commented upon by every other female old or young./Harry
Hurricane Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 07:24   #20

Boat: North Pacific Yachts Trawler 42'
South Florida

"you can actually wear stiletto heels on a power boat. Not sure where trawlers fit into all this."

Trawlers-soft soles only . Remember, old sailors never die, they just go trawlering.
Cloud IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 08:10   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinLA View Post
I've always found that, for the most part and present company excepted, the hot girls are always at the power boat show compared to the "hearty" girls who attend sailboat shows. Maybe because less strength is required and you can actually wear stiletto heels on a power boat. Not sure where trawlers fit into all this.

Mike
I know why the hot woman go after the power boat guys..it is the vugar display of $$ Us poor guys have to bring our own girls. I am not sure where a trawler fits in myself
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 20:08   #22

Boat: All kinds of 'em, from 9' dinks to 100+' motoryachts, power or sail...
Send a message via Yahoo to robw_fl
OK, as a previous trawler owner, well, a previously single one anyway who is now married, I can only say...high heels get left at the companionway just like any other shoes...trust me That sounds really bad, but realistically, that's not what it's about...as long as you're having fun and gettin gwhere you want to without stressing TOO much...that's all that counts! Trawler, blowboat, powerboat/stinkpot...whatever...

Good luck...with everything ...

Rob
Old 30-09-2009, 20:23   #23
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
this female would rather sail than power anyday lol......and stilleto heels are only for going up masts lol....oops!!LOL
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 20:33   #24
cruiser

Boat: Dufour 34, 1975
Send a message via Yahoo to canucksailor Send a message via Skype™ to canucksailor
Ok - as a long time single sailor, I'm gonna give you the goods. First of all, Hollywood is one of the best spots to meet women on the entire Florida ICW - I can see why you stayed there. I did too for a couple of years, but gentlemen never kiss and tell.
So....go back and anchor out by the bridge just north of the Hollywood Municipal marina - you can go either side, depending on the weather. Dress nice, talk nice to the people living there, you'll be able to bring your dinghy to shore without much problem.
Lauderdale - now that the anchorage laws are changed, you can anchor in Lake Sylvia and dinghy out, or even back to the municipal marina. But since Hollywood is so close, might as well take the bus.
Gilberts, in Key Largo - I hate to recommend them, they scammed over $200 off my credit card over a docking dispute - but Sundays, the band is good, and you can anchor off the dock. If you stay long term, you can get a pass for showers and pool use pretty cheaply. Just don't stay in the rooms, they are filthy and insect ridden. See tripadvisor.com for details.
Further down, you can anchor off some of the hotels on Key Largo, although getting to shore can be a challenge. Might be better though, it's closer to town and all the other good pubs in Largo - Gilbert's is only any good on Sundays.
Fernandina Beach, the old bar just up the street from the dock - funky spot, tons of friendly ladies, good anchorage, cheap dinghy dock. Great little town, no one really knows about it.
Melbourne - anchor out, try Ichabods for starters, plus there's a good Irish pub downtown. I go there with Finnbar, so I can never remember the name of the place. If you know Finn, you'll understand why. Some good pubs on the beach as well.
Hope this helps!
canucksailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 21:37   #25

Boat: s2 11.0C
Hey Mike

I was just wondering if you were comming down this year.

Sammi still needs a boat bitch ha ha ha i have been filling in for you while you have been gone. By the way this is Mike the guy with the sailboat on D dock.

Royal palm bason on the dania cut is supose to be a little cheeper. there is a guy who just bought a sailboat on D dock and he said he found a place in Ft Lauderdale that will allow a liveaboard and is less then hollywood. He is getting the information for me tomorrow.

You cold head down to boot key harbor in Marthon they have a big liveaboard comunity there.

I will still be in hollywood untill March unless i find something cheeper.

When are you planning to come down?
02buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 22:00   #26
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksailor View Post
Ok - as a long time single sailor, I'm gonna give you the goods. First of all, Hollywood is one of the best spots to meet women on the entire Florida ICW - I can see why you stayed there. I did too for a couple of years, but gentlemen never kiss and tell.
So....go back and anchor out by the bridge just north of the Hollywood Municipal marina - you can go either side, depending on the weather. Dress nice, talk nice to the people living there, you'll be able to bring your dinghy to shore without much problem.
Lauderdale - now that the anchorage laws are changed, you can anchor in Lake Sylvia and dinghy out, or even back to the municipal marina. But since Hollywood is so close, might as well take the bus.
Gilberts, in Key Largo - I hate to recommend them, they scammed over $200 off my credit card over a docking dispute - but Sundays, the band is good, and you can anchor off the dock. If you stay long term, you can get a pass for showers and pool use pretty cheaply. Just don't stay in the rooms, they are filthy and insect ridden. See tripadvisor.com for details.
Further down, you can anchor off some of the hotels on Key Largo, although getting to shore can be a challenge. Might be better though, it's closer to town and all the other good pubs in Largo - Gilbert's is only any good on Sundays.
Fernandina Beach, the old bar just up the street from the dock - funky spot, tons of friendly ladies, good anchorage, cheap dinghy dock. Great little town, no one really knows about it.
Melbourne - anchor out, try Ichabods for starters, plus there's a good Irish pub downtown. I go there with Finnbar, so I can never remember the name of the place. If you know Finn, you'll understand why. Some good pubs on the beach as well.
Hope this helps!
Ha ha, it takes a Canucksailor to recommend Hollywood beach to meet women. Ya gotta speak French Canadian though. We just had our first cool front come through tonight so I guess it's time for the southern migration of snow birds. See ya on the boardwalk.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 07:19   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02buster View Post
I was just wondering if you were comming down this year.

Sammi still needs a boat bitch ha ha ha i have been filling in for you while you have been gone. By the way this is Mike the guy with the sailboat on D dock.

Royal palm bason on the dania cut is supose to be a little cheeper. there is a guy who just bought a sailboat on D dock and he said he found a place in Ft Lauderdale that will allow a liveaboard and is less then hollywood. He is getting the information for me tomorrow.

You cold head down to boot key harbor in Marthon they have a big liveaboard comunity there.

I will still be in hollywood untill March unless i find something cheeper.

When are you planning to come down?
Hey Mike great to hear from you, Hows things. I was planning not to go south this year but... it is getting cool here and man, I really want to get on the boat and head south Is the marina full? Stay in touch and I hope to see you soon, here is my email mwwalters@earthlink.net
Old 01-10-2009, 07:20   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksailor View Post
Hope this helps!
Thanks that is great info Where is your favorite spot?

Tags
florida