Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2013, 13:41   #16

Send a message via Skype™ to CharlesFCook
Re: Snorkeling charter in the Keys Marathon?

Check out the Schooner Liberty Clipper. Great sailing, beaches, sun, food..... I work on this boat sometimes.

Windjammer Liberty Clipper
CharlesFCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 13:42   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by engine1218 View Post
BTW, no affiliation. I just have all these links saved for future bareboat charter vacations.

My family and I will be in Marathon the last week in March. No sailboat this time, condo and a motor boat.
Thanks I will check them out.
Old 14-02-2013, 13:55   #18

Boat: Truant Triad 37 Cutter-Alaska, Leopard 40 Cat, Bahamas

Hi- you'll have to check into the busineess side of this with respect to captain license., insurance and considerations about operating after sunset, alcohol use by yourself and the clients. Etc. There are different breakdowns for these things that may make it less feasible.

Whoever mentioned tortugas for day charters doesn't know that its too far for that even froem key west, let alone marathon. The reef has lots of good snorkeling all the way from key largo past key west so you'll have no trouble with that but what about dealing with the reef using an electric powered sailboat and anchoring restrictions, etc. Could be dangerous! Don't get me wrong I love your blog and the electric propulsion- you are one of my cf heroes for that. I'm just saying those winds could put you in a bad situation in the same place that historically took out hundreds of sailing ships!
seahag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 14:08   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahag View Post
Hi- you'll have to check into the busineess side of this with respect to captain license., insurance and considerations about operating after sunset, alcohol use by yourself and the clients. Etc. There are different breakdowns for these things that may make it less feasible.

Whoever mentioned tortugas for day charters doesn't know that its too far for that even froem key west, let alone marathon. The reef has lots of good snorkeling all the way from key largo past key west so you'll have no trouble with that but what about dealing with the reef using an electric powered sailboat and anchoring restrictions, etc. Could be dangerous! Don't get me wrong I love your blog and the electric propulsion- you are one of my cf heroes for that. I'm just saying those winds could put you in a bad situation in the same place that historically took out hundreds of sailing ships!
Not to worry we will be chartering a cat with crew. I'll make sure the Captain does not get into my grog. Been our to the Tortugas a few times and yes it is out of the question for this trip because of time constraints.
Old 14-02-2013, 14:12   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesFCook View Post
Check out the Schooner Liberty Clipper. Great sailing, beaches, sun, food..... I work on this boat sometimes.

Windjammer Liberty Clipper
Charles:

Thanks! Looks like a nice boat. I'd jump on it myself. Though my gal has really enjoyed the Cat charters and might get a little nervous with me sleeping in the bunk above her.
Old 14-02-2013, 14:14   #21

Boat: Truant Triad 37 Cutter-Alaska, Leopard 40 Cat, Bahamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
Not to worry we will be chartering a cat with crew. I'll make sure the Captain does not get into my grog. Been our to the Tortugas a few times and yes it is out of the question for this trip because of time constraints.
Ah. That is very different- cat and crew would be better for this for sure. I could see working for you doing this!
seahag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter