Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2016, 12:26   #1

Quick SXM trip - Need advice

Only 6 day charter - I'm young and broke. But life-long sailor with mucho experience in carribbean + USCG 50 ton.

Want to do this itinerary to maximize sailing time. Seeking opinions...

Day 1: Oyster Pond > Gustavia
Day 2: Gustavia > Charlestown
Day 3: Charlestown > Bassterre
Day 4: Bassterre > Statia
Day 5: Statia > Long Bay, Anguilla
Day 6 early am: return boat from Anguilla > Oyster Pond before noon.

Thinking probably will have to dump Anguilla since I'm coming out of Oyster Pond instead of Marigot. Last day may end up being another stop in St. Barths, which is OK w/ me. So Statia to Anse de Columbier or Shell Beach @ Gustavia. Then early AM quick sail to Oyster Pond.

Too much?
rtteter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 23:57   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Re: Quick SXM trip - Need advice

That is a lot of sailing (and we don't know what sort of boat/speed you have; plus what time of year since if you do it now you might see the Christmas winds which will affect your itinerary).

Gustavia to Charlestown can be a long haul, but despite the map it is always a protected anchorage and they've continued maintenance on the mandatory moorings. Clearing in/out is also easier since you no longer have to trek to the police station but can do everything right by the dock. I'd skip Basseterre for an overnight stay, but you can anchor there during daytime trips to Fort Brimstone and other destinations. If you want to anchor on St. Kitts then White Bay is a good option and you can sneak through the Narrows if heading back to St. Barths.
Not many people go to Statia but I like it. The hike up the to crater rim is a couple of hours but well worth it.
If conditions are settled then go to Saba rather than Anguilla, but if you've got winds or swell then head back to St. Martin for the last night - either at Tintamarre (if settled) or Ile Fourchue or perhaps in Grand Case for a good dinner ashore.
Old 13-12-2016, 03:35   #3

Anguilla is nice. But it is mostly about hanging out on quiet beaches and burgers and beers in beach bars.

Depending on what you are looking for, you may be disappointed with anguilla. When I was there, I had just finished bashing overnight upwind from the VIs, so a quiet spot was just what I wanted for a day or two. But if you're looking for a whirlwind leewards tour, I would suggest you skip it.

Also, some of those stretches might be too much. Unless your charter allows night sailing, it seems unlikely you'll make some of those passages in daylight only, unless you have perfect winds.

For example, Gustavia to Charleston is 55nm straight line, you'll end up with 70nm likely in actual distance. Depending on the boat, wind, and seas, you may or may not make that during daylight.

I stopped at St kitts when I did that last month. My philosophy is I would rather island hop than sail overnight if possible. As a full time cruisers I have the luxury of time though.

If you do make long stretches like that, I suggest leaving in the dark, to avoid arriving in the dark. It is always better to leave a harbour in the dark, since you have already seen it in the light than to enter a new harbour in the dark.

Enjoy your charter! And please be smart in your anchoring. Maybe you already know all this, but from the number of charters I see here who can't anchor, it bears repeating: minimum 5:1 scope (more if possible), back down at 2000+ rpms, snorkel over it to make sure it isn't just caught on a rock or coral, and be sure you aren't on top of another boat.
jrau18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 03:55   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post

Gustavia to Charlestown can be a long haul, but despite the map it is always a protected anchorage and they've continued maintenance on the mandatory moorings.
Strongly recommend you dive your moorings here. I was shocked at the state of mine. Looked great from above, but 4 feet under the float, the three strand rope was cut through on two of the strands and the third was partially severed.

If you can't dive your mooring for some reason, back down on it just like you would an anchor.

I switched to another mooring and it was solid.

I would echo everything you said, just thought I would add that.
Old 14-12-2016, 09:18   #5

Boat: Jeanneau 54 DS

I recently anchored off Leverick Bay in Virgin Gorda in 20 knot winds and was grateful for having downloaded Drag Queen onto my iPhone. It worked perfectly (read the instructions) and I was able to sleep hours at a time confident when DQ showed I was still in the same place as the hour before. Might help make your evenings a bit more enjoyable. A totally unsolicited testimonial. Have a great, safe time!!!
bjymd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2016, 12:02   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjymd View Post
I recently anchored off Leverick Bay in Virgin Gorda in 20 knot winds and was grateful for having downloaded Drag Queen onto my iPhone. It worked perfectly (read the instructions) and I was able to sleep hours at a time confident when DQ showed I was still in the same place as the hour before. Might help make your evenings a bit more enjoyable. A totally unsolicited testimonial. Have a great, safe time!!!
Absolutely agree. I use "my anchor watch," which I prefer over dq because it is basically impossible to accidentally turn off.

I also will leave my phone on the boat while we go ashore, because it is set to text my wife if we drift. Realistically I won't be back in time to keep it off the rocks, but it is better than nothing. It barely touches my battery.
Old 20-12-2016, 18:00   #7

OK - Here's what I'm hoping to do. We sail. That's the point. So time sailing is a good thing for me.

Day 1 Oyster to Gustavia
Day 2 (here's where I need help): Nevins. I have one night, where should it be?
Day 3: Kitts, one night - what should it be?
Day 4: Statia
Day 5: Statia to Gustavia
Day 6: Gustavia to Oyster Pond

Also - how many of these places to I have to "check out" from. All of them? I know I'll be checking in, but do I have to make another visit upon departure?
rtteter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 08:59   #8

Boat: Island Packet 460

We sailed to most of those spots this summer. All of them want you to clear out, but if you're only there one night you can clear in & out at the same visit to C&I.
FLJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 09:35   #9

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

I would much prefer Anguilla over Statia. I'm in Sandy Ground (Road Bay) Anguilla at the moment and it's a really nice spot, lots of beachfront restaurants, music, nightlife. I also live in Anguilla so I may be biased but I think it's one of the nicer spots.
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote