Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2020, 12:43   #16

Boat: CAL-2 30'
Re: Newport RI Regulations Report 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Those quarantine regulations make perfect sense if the public policy intent is to reduce non-essential travel and non-essential contacts so as to mitigate Covid-19.

Montana's official Pre-Covid Tourism Promotional Logo was: Get Lost in Montana.

The Covid tourist logo is now in essence, Get Lost! Don't Come to Montana. And it isn't that we don't love to have visitors enjoy The Last Best Place under The Big Sky; it is just not safe to have SARS-CoV-2 introduced and to cater towards having contact with potential vectors of the virus. A reality check: We might infect you and you could then infect others, we want you to be and remain safe and healthy. And the reciprocal as to ourselves remaining safe and healthy.

Same here in the Islands - tourists are not welcome here right now. Some tourists have even been confronted by very angry locals. We still have over a hundred idiot tourists arriving every day. Who goes to Hawaii to stay in a hotel room for 14 days when all the tourist attractions are closed anyway? They don't. They arrest tourists every day and send them back home for violating the quarantine. All the major hotels are closed except one Sheraton.

Everyone will be welcomed with Aloha after the threat subsides.
davenrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 13:10   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenrino View Post
Same here in the Islands - tourists are not welcome here right now. Some tourists have even been confronted by very angry locals. We still have over a hundred idiot tourists arriving every day. Who goes to Hawaii to stay in a hotel room for 14 days when all the tourist attractions are closed anyway? They don't. They arrest tourists every day and send them back home for violating the quarantine. All the major hotels are closed except one Sheraton.

Everyone will be welcomed with Aloha after the threat subsides.
To aid in enforcement of the rules, the airport security personnel review every passengers hotel reservation and they call the hotel to confirm before allowing the new arrival to depart the airport, there being only about 100 persons arriving in State each day, and a fair number of those are Hawaiians repatriating. Going anywhere at this time is stupidity, especially given the closures of all attractants and hospitalities.

And yes, the Mayor calls those persons Covidiots and he deports them back to their home state after arresting them and imposing the hefty fine. One can always spot a haole / he poe hele k?

Stay at Home, three simple words to say and to accomplish.

Unfortunately there are a fair number of Covidiots but a far more persons heeding the emergency orders.

We will be living under social distancing protocols for an extended period of time, projected to be through 2021 or early 2022.

Just get used to it. Essential travel and essential contacts only for the foreseeable future.

Heck even the airline flight attendants union has requested the US Federal Government to ban ALL leisure air travel for the duration of the pandemic and to allow for only essential travel only on airplanes. That of course would eliminate all the tourism in Hawaii as there are but a very few yachties arriving in Hawaii and Hawaii is not a yachtie friendly place. Of course requiring that all lodging businesses to close and the end of short term home or apartment rentals curtails leisure travel as no one has a place to reside. Did wonders for clearing out the State of FloriDUH so as to not allow an extension of Spring Breakers and an influx of persons trying to escape the pandemic of the New York region and New Orleans. Closing off the highway to the Florida Keys eliminated tourism from those isles.

There being no reasonable way to economically provide for effective social distancing onboard airplanes, that requires emptying about 80% of the occupancy. As it is for the very few flyers 5 - 15% of normal, still taking the very few flights, the boarding protocols have changed, now the economy class boards first in progression from the end of the plane forward and first class last so as to not have persons pass by or stand near each other, and everyone has to have a mask on upon arrival at the airport, on the plane and only can take the mask off after departing the airport. And only persons that are flying are allowed into the airport. Noone is allowed to see you off or to meet to pick you up in the terminals.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 14:32   #18

Boat: Hylas 54

Effective May 1st Out of State boat owners are now allowed to come into the state to work on their boats and then leave.

http://rimta.org/wp-content/uploads/...ance-43020.pdf

This is part of RI's phase one re-opening.

I just purchased a boat located in RI but until now (living in NH) have been unable to go to it without quarantining for 14 days. I plan to launch and keep it on a mooring if allowed to which I hope will happen soon.

I think the governor of RI understands what the boating industry means to it's economy and will find a way to return some normalcy to it as soon as possible. The boaters I know are generally good stewards of the environment and generally respectful of their host community.

Lord only knows what this "new reality" is going to mean for the future of cruising.
gconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 15:16   #19

Boat: CAL-2 30'

Quote:
To aid in enforcement of the rules, the airport security personnel review every passengers hotel reservation and they call the hotel to confirm before allowing the new arrival to depart the airport, there being only about 100 persons arriving in State each day, and a fair number of those are Hawaiians repatriating.

Actually, we have been averaging about 400 arrivals a day with about 100 of those being tourists. The residents are also subject to the quarantine even arriving from a Neighbor Island.

Going anywhere at this time is stupidity, especially given the closures of all attractants and hospitalities.

And yes, the Mayor calls those persons Covidiots and he deports them back to their home state after arresting them and imposing the hefty fine. One can always spot a haole / he poe hele k?

Ha...I am a haole but after living here for 30 years, I can spot a tourist a mile away.

BTW, I was born in Red Lodge, Montanna but left there long ago.
davenrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 17:05   #20

Boat: Columbia 50

I think the 14 day quarantine is silly, particularly given the high number of asymatics.
I’m social distancing. I wear a mask whenever I’m not in my car (heading to work on the boat). I basically buy gas and groceries when at home.
If I went to Newport, it would only be to buy groceries, get my laundry done, and tank up fuel and water. Normally I’d stay a couple of days, eat a couple of meals in a restaurant, but not now. All of which I would do with mask and gloves on.....just like all the folks who live there.

I don’t see what bobbing on the hook for 2 weeks gains anyone......

Matt
mlydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 17:56   #21

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Are the regulations Newport-specific or RI at large? Can you anchor at Point Judith and relocate?

I've been moving stuck boats around the East Coast with good result. The paperwork is awesome. *grin* Google and Boolean logic are my friends. Lots of working the phones. RI hasn't been on the radar yet. CT was a PITA. 14 day quarantines back home in Annapolis has been easy as it takes at least that long to organize the next trip. The rules are a moving target.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 20:10   #22

Is the quarantine mandatory for all boats or only those out of state? Out of the country? The whole thing looks wrong, if one sails along the shore hopping from one town to the other then at each port you have to quarantine for 14 days?
B_Hunter45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 04:00   #23

I still laugh at that Get Lost! Don't Come to Montana!, Montanan.

Did everyone see this one? I posted it on a couple of threads, but if you haven't seen it. Take time out for a laugh.What We Should All Be Doing Right Now: https://youtu.be/wVs5AyjzwRM

Auspicious, this one's for you!
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 06:11   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
That's hysterical. Very talented person.
Old 03-05-2020, 07:14   #25

Boat: Cape Dory 28 (Sold Nov 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Newport RI is not a viable destination in 2020 if you’d like to use the anchorage ...
There is no good method (or even good reason) to visit Newport. Period.

Jamestown is a separate matter.
Old 03-05-2020, 07:26   #26

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Hunter45 View Post
Is the quarantine mandatory for all boats or only those out of state? Out of the country? The whole thing looks wrong, if one sails along the shore hopping from one town to the other then at each port you have to quarantine for 14 days?

My thoughts exactly.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 08:33   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
I still laugh at that Get Lost! Don't Come to Montana!, Montanan.

Did everyone see this one? I posted it on a couple of threads, but if you haven't seen it. Take time out for a laugh.What We Should All Be Doing Right Now: https://youtu.be/wVs5AyjzwRM

LittleWing77

Thanks for sharing that video again. I laughed as hardily the second time as the first. I'm thinking of sharing it at the start of one of my corporate zoom sessions just so the employees are clear as to the rules.
Old 03-05-2020, 08:51   #28

The rules do two things, they provide for a period of quarantine so as to diminish the spread of the contagion through the process of cycling through the disease before making community contact, and it discourages non-essential travel of all types.

If the community desires to get the Rnaught well below one, and there aren't any effective pharmaceutical interventions then the only remaining practices that can be levered are non-pharmaceutical interventions.

Stay At Home.
Stay At a Hotel.
Stay aboard a boat, [except a cruise ship or aircraft carrier].

The operative word being STAY. As is what you teach your dog to do. Humans being much more difficult and obstinate than dogs as to reliably doing what they should be doing.

Recreational boating is a non-essential activity, one of a long, long list of what were ordinary activities. It can be pursued if proper social distancing protocols are imposed. Example, only onboarding members that are cohabitants, keeping occupied boats apart, not permitting movement to a new disembarkation point or land mooring. It is all just a piece of a much larger puzzle, wherein if each potential point of contact is minimized then the total number of points of contact are resolved.

If becomes much more difficult to minimize essential contacts, e.g., purchasing groceries, seeing a doctor, manufacturing essential products, transporting / delivering goods.

The fact that this virus seems to provide for contagious spread asymptomatically, or days before one develops symptoms makes for a very challenging situation; it is much easier to contain say Ebola, because by the time a person is contagious they are almost walking dead, only the care takers come into contact with the person, the sick don't go walking / sailing about. This is a truly unseen killer.

I would say Godspeed, but this is not the best of time to be speeding.
Old 03-05-2020, 10:04   #29

I'm going to get back to boats here. Bear with me.

Quote:
The rules do two things, they provide for a period of quarantine so as to diminish the spread of the contagion through the process of cycling through the disease before making community contact, and it discourages non-essential travel of all types.
Like many people I'm following the issue. Scholar.Google.com has been my best resource for primary sources. Too many political agendas in mainstream media for them to be a credible source.

There are still so many things we don't know yet or are just learning. We only recently confirmed aerosolized transmission (vice the earlier theory of large, heavy droplets). We don't know if those who have recovered actually get immunity; that is an assumption not proven. We do know some people have had it twice. We don't know if the virus goes into remission and can flare up like HIV or HSV. The list of symptoms keeps getting longer. The list of long term effects keeps getting longer. It's all very worrisome.

I go grocery shopping about every three weeks. My wife goes on walks, alone, in the neighborhood. That's it for us. Except that I'm still taking delivery work. It turns out I count as transportation infrastructure. I'll lay out my approach and CFers can throw stones or not as they choose.

I'm only taking work to get boats home to their owners. I'm only taking work I can drive to - no planes, trains, or buses (I don't like buses anyway). I'm provisioning at home and packing food in to avoid longer shopping trips in less well known locations. I'm running smaller than normal crews. I emphasize quarantine with crews before and after trips. At least two weeks of twice a day temperatures before departure to establish a baseline. Only local crews who can ride with me to and from the boat. Stops for fuel only. Regardless I still worry. I'm concerned I'm making excuses and rationalize that I'm more careful than my competition.

Most of my work has been local, moving boats from launch to slips. I've done Washington DC to Mystic CT with lockdowns established as we were underway. I'm leaving Friday for New Bern NC to Solomons MD.

I'm keeping track of various states and do a deeper dive into research as work emerges. I don't think I'd take a trip with an endpoint in New York.

I hope I'm being careful enough.
Old 03-05-2020, 10:19   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
I'm going to get back to boats here. Bear with me.

I hope I'm being careful enough.
Each of your individual actions of precaution aid in achieving the reduction of exposure, to self and to others.

Very commendable.

A lot of little appropriate choices, none of which are really challenging or life changing but can assure life.

"We isolate today so that when we do get back together again, no one is missing."

Sadly, there will be a lot of person's missing and many people missing those that have and will pass.

I was taken aback a bit when I realized that in just 2 months there were more deaths from Covid-19 in the USA then were American's killed in the two decades of the Vietnam War [1955 to 1975]. And that occurred while many of the Governor's instituted somewhat aggressive Stay At Home social distancing, non-pharmaceutical intervention protocols. The curve was flattened by such actions and literally hundreds of thousands of deaths have been avoided to date.

It ain't over by a long shot. We be at the end of the first inning.

Tags
newport, regulations