Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2018, 13:21   #31

Re: Newfoundland worth the Trip?

I've been to Newfoundland and think it's among the last truely unique places on earth. It's on my short list to visit again.

As an aside, I recommend reading The Day The World Came to Town. It's the story of Gander Newfoundland the day of 9/11 and the weeks following. Fascinating insight into a culture that most of us will never see.
Near2KR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2018, 14:16   #32

Boat: C&C 37

Yes! Yes! Yes!. Went to Nfld with long time sailing Friend for visit. It was terrific. Great People, sailed to small coastal towns/ports, visited abandoned coastal towns (Govt docks still there). Had such a great time and met some wonderful people, that the boat was left in Nfld for 2 winters, and we revisited in summers before returning to mainland. Want to go back! Great skiing in Winter, too. Hint - load up on snacks, pop and other non-perishables before crossing as there can be pricier there. And stop at St Pierre-Miquelon on the way - hot croissants for breakfast.
RobertoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2018, 15:14   #33

Boat: Heritage 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Yes … I’ve learned this as well. My father was a Newfoundlander. He proudly called himself a ‘Newfie.' But terms change and I’ve learned not to use it anymore.

BTW, I’m currently at the Bay of Islands Yacht Club in Corner Brook. If anyone is looking for a place on the west coast, give it a look-see.

Offical Web Site of the Bay of Islands Yacht Club - Newfoundland & Labrador
Hi Mike is the flag pole still standing? We refurbished it in 2000 when we were there with the flotilla. When your season starts head over to Labrador to Red Bay, Henly harbour(abandoned) great anchorage. Black bears around and Battle Harbour. Blanc Sablon is also nice and if you walk the beach out to the stream running from the North there is an Island in the middle formed around a whale skeleton We found this in 2001 No one new it was there!
Kalinka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2018, 16:30   #34

Boat: Tanzer 8.5 #51

Drake Paragon were in Newfoundland. Based on their vlogs, I say yes.

Old 20-05-2018, 17:40   #35

Boat: Tom Colvin Gazelle 42ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Lewisporte has, IMHO, the best ever yacht club.

https://lewisporteyachtclub.com

https://m.facebook.com/LewisporteYC/

Very good cruising guides here.

https://www.pilot-press.com

And if you have never read it, you. MUST read “The Boat that Wouldn't Float” by Farley Mowat. Don’t ask, indescribable.
Yes a must read but also ask some of the native Newfoundlanders what they think of 'Hardly know it'.

We were there many years ago on our Nova Scotia built wooden sloop REVA and fell in love with the people and the island.

Still tell stories from that voyage down the St Lawrence and back up.

Not sure any more but think August has the least fog. Will be easier now with GPS.

Enjoy

Jim sv GAIA
Gaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 05:02   #36

Boat: Union cutter 33

We sailed to Newfoundland 3yrs ago it was the best place we have visited the people are the friendliest in the world and the sights are breathtaking if u got a chance to vist do not pass it up cheers
rosatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 14:07   #37

Boat: Catalina 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalinka1 View Post
Hi Mike is the flag pole still standing? We refurbished it in 2000 when we were there with the flotilla. When your season starts head over to Labrador to Red Bay, Henly harbour(abandoned) great anchorage. Black bears around and Battle Harbour. Blanc Sablon is also nice and if you walk the beach out to the stream running from the North there is an Island in the middle formed around a whale skeleton We found this in 2001 No one new it was there!

Yes the flag pole is still standing, I believe you need return, the pole is again in need of refurbishing, can't believe we can only get 18 years out of a paint job.

The Marina in Corner Brook is open for all visitors, it is also the best place to provision for anyone planning to go further north.

Byron
Marinetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 14:10   #38

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalinka1 View Post
I see Byron beat me to it. Pole is still there, and the club seems great. I’m planning to spend at least the next few seasons based here. After that, who knows...
Old 23-05-2018, 16:05   #39

Boat: Albin Vega 27

Newfie is a derogatory term? I'm a Newfie (Newfoundlander) and I tell everybody so. I've met few up here in Alaska and we get on fancy like. I guess Im just a man....er.... human...errr, hu-person,,,errrr.... a non-descript, non- gender, non-binary, non-definable entity being a summation of my experiences. Thanks Trudeau! I'm a NEWFIE! Dont like it? K.M.Arse
alaskaflyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2018, 17:57   #40

Boat: Seawind 1190 sport

I did the south coast year before last. Isle aux Morte, Ramea, La poile, Burgeo, and Grey River (a spectacular fiord). Scenery and people are amazing. A truly unique experience.
DougM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2018, 19:07   #41

Boat: Beneteau

If you are indeed a Newfoundlander then reread the original post that I submitted and rethink the kissing. I live in a town that experienced the American presence and see it as questionable at best.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2018, 23:29   #42

Boat: Albin Vega 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonscove View Post
If you are indeed a Newfoundlander then reread the original post that I submitted and rethink the kissing. I live in a town that experienced the American presence and see it as questionable at best.
NAS Argentia? The American sailors that I met who were stationed there had nothing but praise for the locals, some even married local women. The people who "get their backs up" are the trouble makers, easily offended, who like conflict and need something to complain about. Every person who identified me as a Newfie said it with reminiscing affection.
alaskaflyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 04:30   #43

Boat: CS36T

I spent 60 days doing a circumnavigation of Newfoundland in 2013. I had only one day of fog and the weather was not cold. I did about half the trip with friends aboard, and half of it solo. It was the trip of a lifetime. Breathtaking scenery, friendly and generous people, lots of fresh fish.

Don't try to buy fish from local fishermen, but be prepared to barter for it with something of value - say, a bottle of rum.

Take everything you need with you. Supplies of any kind are scarce. Fill up with fuel and water whenever you get the chance, as you don't know when you will be able to do it again.
fguptill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 04:54   #44

Boat: Valiant 40

When I spent some time growing up in Quebec the term "Newfie" was pretty pejorative. It saw most use in jokes about Newfoundlanders and sheep. I definitely came away from that experience thinking of it as a slur and I do not use the word. If Newfoundlanders use it amongst themselves, that's fine but I think the rest of us risk being insulting using it.

I have a friend in St. John's who keep needling me to get up there. Probably already too late this year to make a try for it without rushing.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 05:40   #45
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fguptill View Post
I spent 60 days doing a circumnavigation of Newfoundland in 2013. I had only one day of fog and the weather was not cold. I did about half the trip with friends aboard, and half of it solo. It was the trip of a lifetime. Breathtaking scenery, friendly and generous people, lots of fresh fish.

Don't try to buy fish from local fishermen, but be prepared to barter for it with something of value - say, a bottle of rum.

Take everything you need with you. Supplies of any kind are scarce. Fill up with fuel and water whenever you get the chance, as you don't know when you will be able to do it again.
Very cool! Bravo!

While I was sailing in Newfoundland (mostly Trinity Arm) for three weeks, I met a Newfoundlander who had done the island circumnavigation under sail only (no motor) and the idea of circumnavigating Newfoundland sounded very appealing to me, because so much of what I had seen was appealing and there was so much more left to see.

In short, I think what you did is cool, and would be a nice personal accomplishment.

It is also remarkable that you did not see fog. We sailed in some thick fog a few days (July 2017). But we also enjoyed good, clear sunny weather too, with surprisingly warm temps.

I had a wonderful time seeing the island from the water.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newfoundland