Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2018, 12:04   #1

Need advice on planning first real trip

We have about a year's experience. We bought a well setup Allied Mistress last year, and have been bringing the systems and gear up to speed, as well as learning how to sail and learning this boat - all in the St John's River in Florida. We will likely do a few short coastal trips over the next few months.

In the winter we would like to do a Bahamas trip, likely 2 weeks.

ANY advice is welcome, but specifically where to and not go in the Bahamas as we learn. I have 15 years in the water, but most in power boats. Been reading, listening and asking millions of questions. My wife is pretty new to all of it.

Thank you
Trackskinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 20:22   #2

Boat: Cal 2-30
Re: Need advice on planning first real trip

I hope you were able to find some sort of support. How is it going?
Old 08-06-2018, 20:38   #3

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Now I don't know the FLA area but if your wife is new to it I'd say to take a short offshore trip out of sight of land and then return and see how she likes it, if she hasn't done that before. Take it slow and easy, step by step, for her sake, to get her confidence up in you and the boat. If that goes well then a little longer and a little farther. And make sure she is successful and having fun in the role of skipper too.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 13:52   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Don really gave you some excellent advice there. Jim used to say a guy should treat his wife as he would his best friend's, meaning make sure she will be comfortable (good foul weather gear), and don't take her out, get her soaking wet and scream at her.

Women generally prefer it to be pleasant on the water--as do many men-- and many like to learn as they go.

Ann
Old 09-06-2018, 14:25   #5

Take a trip down the coast from Ft L to Biscayne maybe. That's a day trip. Usually fun. The Exumas are great for the Bahamas , but a bit too far probably for a 2 week excursion. the Allied is not shallow draft so just watch your charts etc. I did much of the B'mas with 6-6 draft though.
the B'mas are a bit cold in the winter. Dont cross the Gulf Stream is a NE or E wind of any strength at all. Start in the dark and give yourself plenty of time to get across before dark again.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote