Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2022, 05:44   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Kaufman 47, Cutter
Marsh Harbour Bahamas

As I write, we are docked at the Conch Inn Marina in Marsh Harbour, Abaco Bahamas. As you know, this community was devastated by Hurricane Dorian in 2019. None of the marinas survived the fury. Rebuilding continues. To the North is the Jib Room Marina. Docks are in place. Shore facilities are under construction, but it appears that it will be weeks, maybe months, before it is in full operation. On this side of the harbour, two of the three previous marinas are near completion: Harbour View and Conch Inn. Mangoes has not yet started any reconstruction. Its previous marina is nothing more than pilings. Shore facilities are scraped clean. There are only two restaurants open along the waterfront: "Colors" and "Wally's".

Here at the Conch Inn Marina, we have electricity and water at the slips. Only diesel is available at a separate dock. Gasoline is not available anywhere around the harbor; nor is propane.

The Conch Inn Marina was rebuilt using PVC pilings and plastic lumber. Docks are fixed and primarily designed for boats with 20+ foot beams. The finger piers are way too short, and IMHO way too high to easily disembark. In our case, stern to docking was not an option, so the "ladder" cannot be reached. We had to position a five gallon bucket near the aft shrouds as an aid to get to/from the dock. Low tide only exacerbates the situation. Be sure that your sandals don't slip on the plastic deck planks. I go barefoot.

Speaking of barefoot and shoes, I just realized that I haven't worn any real shoes or sneakers since January. Maybe that's why I'm hobling around with a probably broken little toe. [emoji16]

The marina here has one washer and one dryer. Both are new. It's five dollars to wash or dry. Yes, $10 per load. Two unisex bathrooms and one open air shower pretty much rounds out the amenities at this time. Water pressure is minimal; barely adequate to rinse the shampoo from my nearly bald head. Ice: $5 per bag, maybe 10 lbs, but not sure.

By 0700 the construction crew are busy with completing an 18 room hotel. Snappa's is nearly ready to open. The front office foundation is about done. Once completed, a swimming pool will be installed.

The staff and dock workers are friendly and helpful. Michael Albury runs this operation.

We'll be here for a couple nights until we reprovision. Our next crew was delayed due to weather, but we may pick up another group by the end of the week. In the meantime, Brenda and I are looking to head south towards Little Harbor to visit the foundry and Pete's Pub.
michaeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 05:58   #2

Boat: Tartan 4100
Re: Marsh Harbour Bahamas

Thanks for the update
Tortuga's Lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 13:23   #3

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

Bubbles laundromat is up and running with all new machines beside the old Price Right.

Gasoline is available at the Shell station .

Marsh Harbour Boatyard Boatyards is open.

Maxwell's has a hardware department.

National Marine is open

There are two pharmacies in town.
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 14:18   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I walked to Maxwell's earlier today. It's quite a shopping experience. Almost like a Super Walmart. On the way back to the marina, I stopped by S&V for an icy cold Kalik and picked up a quart of conch salad from Fatty's next to Colors.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220606_114128066.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	259075
Old 06-06-2022, 14:22   #5

Boat: Catalina 42

Thanks for the update! We're heading up there in a few days....
Off Trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 15:19   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

We'll be here in the Abacos till mid August. Look us up if you can. Say hello. We're based out of Marsh Harbour with the Boy Scouts of America High Adventure program. In general, we'll be somewhere between Great Guana and Tahiti Beach. You can spot us on AIS and reach us on VHF 78.
Old 06-06-2022, 15:25   #7
CLOD

Boat: none

Where is S&V?
Old 06-06-2022, 16:01   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It's on Nathan Key Drive about halfway between Maxwell's and Queen Elizabeth Drive.
Old 19-08-2022, 09:36   #9

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

Thank you for the update.
Old 29-08-2022, 14:15   #10

This is great! Thanks for the updated info.

Amanda
AbacoSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2022, 17:31   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

We are now back in Florida. I'll be happy to provide any updates. Anything particular???
Old 29-08-2022, 17:56   #12

Though I haven't had a chance to get to Marsh Harbour to check it out myself, I understand Snappas is now reopened.

Since things are changing so quickly in Abaco, here's a recently updated business directory and visitor's guide.

If anyone has edits or additions to these pages, please don't hesitate to get in touch!

Amanda
AbacoSun.com
AbacoSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2022, 18:10   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Amanda, yes Snappa's has reopened. It's now located at the Conch Inn Marina. It's quite nice. It's very American. It reminds me of a south Florida pub with typical bar food and 90's Rock and Roll music playing. Close your eyes and you'd think you are at a Fort Lauderdale beach bar.

If you get there, I recommend Colors for a more Bahamian atmosphere. Have a great trip. We hope to visit the Abacos again early next year.... or maybe the Exumas.
Old 30-08-2022, 12:43   #14

Boat: 1978 Tartan 34C

Thanks for the update. We were there in May the year that Dorian decided to destroy that little slice of heaven. It is nice to here about the progress being made.
Old 06-09-2022, 19:49   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjrider View Post
Thanks for the update. We were there in May the year that Dorian decided to destroy that little slice of heaven. It is nice to here about the progress being made.

You're very welcome! Glad you got to see Abaco pre-Dorian... we took a brutal hit, but Abaco is coming back! Looking forward to a great 2022/23 season.

Amanda

Tags
Bahamas