Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2008, 10:48   #16

Boat: Cal 34 & Pearson 424
You might want to get a chart of the Gulf Stream and chose a place to cross where it is narrower rather than broader. I recall it varies quite a bit in width all along the East Coast.
s/v Breakaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 12:45   #17

Sono...re: Sandy Hook
I just was responding to what I thought was your original question...where to go to wait for weather and be ready to immediately make the jump across without going too far south and wasting too much time. Sandy Hook has plenty of marina facilities in the Atlantic Highlands area...and is convenient for a quick exit on a good forcast. I would not expect much temperature difference as it is quite near NYC. Here is a pretty good view of the area and the protection offered by "the hook"...bay on one side and ocean on the other. Marinas.com | Sandy Hook Bay - New Jersey, United States
Atlantic Highlands Muni Marina had slips and moorings. Marinas.com | Atlantic Highlands Municipal Harbor - New Jersey, United States
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 12:47   #18

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
We jumped from Norfolk last year on Nov 10, and the weather was nice till the week before we left, then got pretty cold. However, we hit the gulf stream about 16 hours out, and its been warm ever since.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2008, 17:46   #19
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: MaineCat Catamaran 41'
Send a message via Skype™ to TabbyCat
Sono sailor,

Have you left yet? The conventional wisdom is, as you stated, to get to someplace like the mouth of the Chesapeake or even better to Beaufort, NC and jump off from there. That way you can get across the Gulf Stream as quickly as possible since you want to avoid any northern component to the wind while crossing the Stream. You should also engage a weather router so you know where the warm and cold Gulf Stream eddies are. Playing the eddies properly can propel you to your destination. Playing them poorly can make the entire trip not only longer, but a real bummer!
Old 22-09-2008, 18:00   #20

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader
I would wait either at Block Island, Rhode Island or Montauk, NY

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 07:42   #21

Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada in the summer and fall; Caribbean in winter and spring aboard Cat Tales.
Boat: FP Tobago 35 (and a H-21 SE)
Hi guys. I of course have made the trip by now, and ultimately went back to the East Greenwich Yacht Club, which served us well. I'd also like to put in a plug for the West Marine store that is in a nearby mall on the highway. They assisted us with material, and also provided a drive back to the boat after we had picked up a few weeks provisions at the grocery store in the same mall.

Thanks for your suggestions, though.
Sonosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bermuda