Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2021, 06:06   #1

Has anyone checked into Sint Maartin recently

Good morning all. I want to visit Sint Maartin for a couple of days to resupply at Budget Marine. I think I can easily comply with their Covid protocols but Noonsite mentions, but does not elaborate on an insurance requirement. When I approach insurance companies about covering my 52 year-old ketch which I single-hand, year round in the Caribbean, they just laugh. Can anyone offer any recent info on the current situation reference this requirement? Thanks
Chris Cringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 06:26   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Has anyone checked into Sint Maartin recently

I think they're referring to [Covid] Health Insurance, not Boat insurance.

Sint Maarten TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS (January 16, 2021)
As of January 11, 2021 the government of Sint Maarten has implemented a mandatory COVID-19 insurance for all travelers visiting Sint Maarten with the exception of residents, transit passengers (checkbox), flight crews (checkbox), transiting cruise ship crews (checkbox), French nationals, AUC faculty and students (special procedure) and BES-ZVK medical referrals (checkbox). The insurance purchasing process is an integrated step in the EHAS application. Travelers requiring the COVID-19 insurance must complete this process timely.
Morehttps://stmaartenehas.com/travel-requirements/

EHAS Form ➥ https://stmaartenehas.com/application-form/
https://www.sxmprotectionplan.com/
Customer support Email: info@sxmprotectionplan.com

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 07:06   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cringle View Post
Good morning all. I want to visit Sint Maartin for a couple of days to resupply at Budget Marine. I think I can easily comply with their Covid protocols but Noonsite mentions, but does not elaborate on an insurance requirement. When I approach insurance companies about covering my 52 year-old ketch which I single-hand, year round in the Caribbean, they just laugh. Can anyone offer any recent info on the current situation reference this requirement? Thanks
As a Caribbean vet, I am sure this has occured to you, but for others... An option to consider if you get locked out of SM is Antigua. I know the Budget Marine prices there are a bit less "budget" then in SM, but stock is good.

We were just in and out of Antigua and the process was easy and clean. Just follow the guidance and rules. https://visitantiguabarbuda.com/travel-advisory/ Other than wanting a test before we left our originating port, it was not really much more of an chore than a "normal" clearance. (Remember those???)
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 07:20   #4
cruiser

Another option is St Lucia. The island water world is good and check in is a breeze. Submit pcr test and other paperwork before travel. Receive thumbs up email. Travel. Check in complete in less than 40 mins.

This is at Rodney Bay. And the staff at the marina have been fantastic.
Knot Safety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 10:26   #5

Boat: Leopard 45

It seems that the cruising grounds of St Martin are divided into two sections, French and Dutch. The Dutch areas are open and easy but the French areas including Anguilla are closed.
jim King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 12:05   #6

Boat: Hanse 445 44’

What GordMay posted is correct. We are flying there this weekend and picking up a boat on the French side that is being delivered. You need a nasal swab negative rt-PCR test not more than 120 hours old, or an antigen test not more than 48 hours old. You upload that to a portal, pay $30 in protection money... I mean health insurance, and they pre approve you.

They may require you to test upon arrival for $125 and self quarantine until results are ready.
stulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 12:26   #7

Boat: Jeanneau SO409

I did a bareboat charter there in November 2020. Had to have a negative COVID test in hand within 5 days of arrival. Flew into SXM from EWR (Newark, NJ).
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 13:18   #8

Thanks for the advice guys. I know about the $30 Covid insurance. That is not the issue. All Budget Marines are equal, but some are more equal than others. Sint Maartin, being the main store, stocks items the others do not. Cheers!😎
Old 22-01-2021, 13:41   #9

Boat: Jeanneau SO409

Quote:
Thanks for the advice guys. I know about the $30 Covid insurance. That is not the issue. All Budget Marines are equal, but some are more equal than others. Sint Maartin, being the main store, stocks items the others do not. Cheers!😎
That's good to know... thank you for the heads up
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2021, 09:05   #10

Boat: Cal-40

Stoped at Saint Martin for a week one month ago. Checked into the French side then just took zodiac dingy over to the Dutch side where you find Buget Marine. Supper easy for me a US citizen at that time to clear customs. You do so at the small marine fuel dock store on their computer set up right next to cash register. No fees are charged. Once checked through the French side your free to travel all the island ( I rented a car). But you cannot take your vessel from one side to the other without clearing in and out, just your dingy. No covid test was required nor quarantine.
Siberian Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2021, 09:33   #11

Boat: Northwind 50

We checked into Sint Maarten last week. Needed PCR test and to complete the EHAS form prior to departure to get authorisation to travel.

I had previously contacted CrossAG in Fort-de-France in an attempt to get permission to enter the French side but was told entry was forbidden unless I had a “compelling reason”. I asked if repairs & parts were a compelling reason & was asked to provide evidence of my needs.
Paramotorgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2021, 16:35   #12

Paramotorgreg, did they require proof of boat insurance when you checked in to Sint Maartin?
Old 25-01-2021, 06:39   #13

Boat: Leopard 48' Cat

The only thing required besides swab ( less then 120 hours old) was a form ( get from the Sint Maarten website) submitted with the results of the swab. They send you approval that day or early the next. Otherwise no problem for my BVI registered boat in beginning of this year.
Starblossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 09:58   #14

Boat: Northwind 50

Quote:
Paramotorgreg, did they require proof of boat insurance when you checked in to Sint Maartin?
We had to take out their $30 COVID-19 insurance, that is part of the process of completing the EHAS Form, but nothing else was required.
Paramotorgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 10:12   #15

Paramotorgreg, thank you sir. Fair winds