Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2021, 15:19   #1

Boat: Hunter Legend 35.5
Fort Lauderdale to Nassau

Hi,

Im new here and was just wondering if anyone could answer some questions about crossing from Fort Lauderdale to Nassau.

I have a Hunter legend 35. Shes my second boat, I dont have a ton of experience but I think enough to not kill myself.

Id love to chat on the phone with someone or meet up for a drink if anyone is in South Florida. If anyone has done this trip and would be willing to help me, Id be super grateful and will compensate with copious amounts of ale.

Thanks for any help
Chris
Av8er78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2021, 15:35   #2

Re: Fort Lauderdale to Nassau

Not local so cant help in person. More info would help. You mean non stop?

some random thoughts:
-I like to leave from Biscayne Bay as you are less against the Gulf Stream
-In the winter, or any time really other than summer, the common NE wind blows against the Gulf Stream creating rough water. People usually try to avoid that and wait for the wind to shift South then West. Leaving as soon as it shifts South.
-I left in the night and arrived at Bimini at 8 am once and went to Sail Rock then barreled on across the bank to Chub Cay instead of stopping.. This was a 47 foot boat and we moved well. However we arrived at Chub after dark using the radar to get in and checked in there the next am. Not sure if they still have check in there now though. It was at least 12 hours to get there from Bimini.

-Biscayne to Bimini about 60 miles
-Bimini to Chub about 92 miles
-Chub to Nassau about 40 miles.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2021, 15:51   #3

Boat: Hunter Legend 35.5

Yes non stop. Plan is to wait for a good weather window and head straight for Nassau. I'm curious about the mackie shoal area and the south side of New providence. Is crossing the mackie shoal at night feasible (are there coral heads we need to watch out for)?

The Marina were stopping at is on the south east side of New Providence, so Im wondering what the best approach is. South side of the island seems littered with coral heads and might be a nightmare to cross?
Av8er78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2021, 16:09   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8er78 View Post
Yes non stop. Plan is to wait for a good weather window and head straight for Nassau. I'm curious about the mackie shoal area and the south side of New providence. Is crossing the mackie shoal at night feasible (are there coral heads we need to watch out for)?

The Marina were stopping at is on the south east side of New Providence, so Im wondering what the best approach is. South side of the island seems littered with coral heads and might be a nightmare to cross?
It's been awhile for me. We essentially sailed from Sail Rock straight through to Chub (through the narrow cut before Chub of course) I dont remember it being too shallow as we drew 6' 5". But I'm the cautious type so probably steered a bit SouthWest of Mackie Shoal a bit. If you leave Fort L at night you can cross the banks in day light.
There seemed to be more coral heads near Sail Rock than out on the banks.

Maybe someone else will pitch in here soon. I've done it 3 times and it was uneventful each time, crossing the banks in daylight.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2021, 17:55   #5

Boat: Nauticat 33

We’ve crossed the banks numerous times at night and in daylight. Never had a problem. Keep an ear out for any recent wrecks that might pose a hazard, everyone uses the same rhumb lines, so that’s where they’ll be. There’s plenty of depth out there, not much else.

Never been to SE New Providence, but I would probably go through Nassau Harbour and then follow the route to Palm Cay Marine in the Explorer Charts.
cofc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2021, 01:19   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Chris.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2021, 02:23   #7

Boat: Boatless

I live in Miami and I have done the trip 4 times.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2021, 09:29   #8

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8er78 View Post
Hi,

Im new here and was just wondering if anyone could answer some questions about crossing from Fort Lauderdale to Nassau.

I have a Hunter legend 35. Shes my second boat, I dont have a ton of experience but I think enough to not kill myself.

Id love to chat on the phone with someone or meet up for a drink if anyone is in South Florida. If anyone has done this trip and would be willing to help me, Id be super grateful and will compensate with copious amounts of ale.

Thanks for any help
Chris
Hey Chris,

I'm in WPB, living aboard my Catalina 470. Happy to chat and share some ideas. I'll PM you with my number and email address.

Regards,
David
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2021, 05:40   #9

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

I sailed my previous Mason 44 from Ft. Lauderdale to Nassau in December of 2016. We left Ft. Lauderdale at dawn, and arrived in Nassau 27 hours later. We had light SE winds, so we motorsailed the entire way. Went onto the banks north of Bimini, went north of Mackie Shoal, then through NW Channel Passage. We went through NWCP around midnight, and that was the most stressful part of the entire trip. There are no navigational beacons there, and there were four or five other vessels coming and going through that channel at the time. From there it was an easy shot down to Nassau.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fort lauderdale, nassau