Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2008, 09:30   #1
cnj

Boat: Fontain Pejot Tobago 35 Cat Alee
Fl is at it again

Found this on the website if a Miami TV station

MIAMI -- Beginning next week, boaters coming back to South Florida or anywhere else in the United States should no longer expect to prove their identity with a verbal declaration.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection agents will start requiring proof of identity and citizenship beginning Jan. 31. Travelers who do not have the proper documentation may be delayed entry while agents check their identities.

A U.S. passport is the best single document option, but there are others, including a military identification card.

Persons without a passport can show a driver's license or other government-issued photo ID along with a U.S. birth certificate.

For a complete list of acceptable documents and more information on the changes that will take place Jan. 31, go to www.cbp.gov.

So, to all of you who pop to the Bahamas for a long weekend, make sure you bring an ID!!!
Old 24-01-2008, 09:42   #2

Send a message via AIM to sluissa
This isn't just florida, but the whole US and this is something that's been coming for a long time. the only surprise is that I thought they were going to require passports and weren't accepting just the driver's license and birth certificate anymore.
sluissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2008, 09:46   #3

Boat: Endeavour E40
That particular request is from the Federal Government, NOT Florida..........

It really doesn't surprise me that they want to know who's coming and going thru Florida considering the PORT of MIAMI is a PRIMARY TARGET (I was employed by Dept of Homeland Security!)......

As most of you know, that port is full of "high value" targets, meaning ships from all over the world... thousands of cruise passengers embarking/disembarking daily....
It's bad enough it's Number 1 for container ships and those containers are WOEFULLY "under-inspected" in my opinion.......

But blame it on Muslim RADICALS, not Florida..........
AUTHOR: My dear ole MOM
High Cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2008, 10:23   #4
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Cotton View Post
It really doesn't surprise me that they want to know who's coming and going thru Florida considering the PORT of MIAMI is a PRIMARY TARGET (I was employed by Dept of Homeland Security!)......

As most of you know, that port is full of "high value" targets, meaning ships from all over the world... thousands of cruise passengers embarking/disembarking daily....
It's bad enough it's Number 1 for container ships and those containers are WOEFULLY "under-inspected" in my opinion.......
In the latest list I can find ranking the world's busiest container ports (2005), Singapore is number one, as it has been for more than 25 years. The list contains nine United States ports.

Los Angeles and Long Beach are listed separately, and occupy spots 10 and 11, though they are, for all practical purposes, a single port. If they were combined, they would have risen to the fifth spot in the rankings.

Seattle (42) and Tacoma (44) are similarly separated, but New York/New Jersey (17) are listed together. The other American ports on the list are: Oakland (37), Charleston (45), Hampton Roads (46), and Savannah (49). Nowhere on the 2005 list of the world's 50 busiest container ports is the name Miami to be found.

It doesn't surprise me that someone who was employed by the Department of Homeland Security is unaware of this.

TaoJones
Old 24-01-2008, 12:30   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
Nowhere on the 2005 list of the world's 50 busiest container ports is the name Miami to be found.
TaoJones

But,
I’d definitely expect it to be near the top of the bicycle list.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2008, 12:36   #6
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Wow Tao - a strong (if typically clever) response. I'm glad someone does research! Sadly, while only a small percentage of cargo containers brought into the US commercially by air or sea are actually inspected, it is much easier (and less expensive to business) to harrass air travellers and pleasure boaters so that it SEEMS something is being done to 'secure' the borders. Anyway, I guess it is just another in an increasing series of impediments to free travel both to and within the United States.

If the primary purpose of terrorists is (virtually by definition) to engage in psychological warfare by 'terrorizing' the inhabitants of opposing countries/cultures in the course of their everyday lives, they are winning. I am not suggesting that some precautions and procedural changes weren't/aren't necessary, but the domestic passport/photo id requirement does sound rather Orwellian. They must view every reduction in the freedoms here as another victory and therewith, a justification for their tactics. Truly sad.

At least cruisers still have the opportunity to travel to some other locations where Big Brother is a little less pervasive. I just wonder how many terrorists have entered the United States, let alone travelled internally from one city to another, by yacht? It strikes me that it will be ultimately be far more effective to require all occupants of all motor vehicles (in fact, surely all pedestrians) to carry passports at all times as well. That'll show those terrorists!

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2008, 13:22   #7

Boat: Endeavour40 - MOBETAH
OK ..... So when I return to the Florida from the Bahamas ..... Who will check my passport? and where will they inspect my passport?

In the recent past I've had to call customs, check in then load myself and everyone from the boat into a cab (at great expense) and go to an immigration like the one at the Miami airport where an immigration officer checks our IDs.

Does ANYONE in this entire country think that a terrorist, drug smuggler or illegal alien will go to the trouble and expense of arriving in this country by yacht only to take a long and expensive taxi ride to the local immigration office and turn himself in?

The intelligence of this government (or lack of it) always amazes me!
mobetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2008, 13:57   #8

Boat: CAL 3-46
Send a message via AIM to Latitude9.5
I dunno what they are talking about, we were boarded upon our return to the us by the local yocal sherrif boat and he "required" our passports. the boarding took 3 hours.

Still had to call, then drive to the nearest customs office.

I do know there's been fl fish and game, city, county and coast guard wondering all over the intercoastal the last couple months. i've been stopped in my dinghy by the sherrif and told I need one all around light, then by fish and game and told i need an all around and a combo bow, then by sherrif again for going too fast in my dinghy, yea that was sweet. At least they no longer waste a sticker and put "to protect and serve" on the side.
Latitude9.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2008, 14:12   #9

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Fl is at it again

It's true up here in the PNW as well. A lot of us boaters move back a forth between Canada and the US and now we all have to carry our passports. It's is a US thing not just FL. Just one more piece of paper we have to carry..................._/)
Old 24-01-2008, 14:52   #10
jzk

Actually, if you look it up, the US Govt is actuall RELAXING the travel requirements. Before Jan 31 you had to have a passport period. Now you can have a birth certificate.
jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2008, 18:15   #11

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates
I work part time for one of the cruise lines in maimi and soon only a passport will be accepted -- and it is about time - at one time all you had to do was simply state that you were a us citizen and show a drivers license -
as for a high value target - he is correct - sometimes as many a 7 cruise ships are in at one time and if each holds 3,000 folks that is a lot of damage someone can do -
i just wish they would crack down harder - i do mind being a bit inconvinced for the sake of national security
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2008, 19:04   #12

Boat: Endeavour E40
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
In the latest list I can find ranking the world's busiest container ports (2005), Singapore is number one, as it has been for more than 25 years. The list contains nine United States ports.

Los Angeles and Long Beach are listed separately, and occupy spots 10 and 11, though they are, for all practical purposes, a single port. If they were combined, they would have risen to the fifth spot in the rankings.

Seattle (42) and Tacoma (44) are similarly separated, but New York/New Jersey (17) are listed together. The other American ports on the list are: Oakland (37), Charleston (45), Hampton Roads (46), and Savannah (49). Nowhere on the 2005 list of the world's 50 busiest container ports is the name Miami to be found.

It doesn't surprise me that someone who was employed by the Department of Homeland Security is unaware of this.

TaoJones
Calm down JONES, I meant to write "passenger ships" not container ships....
Miami IS Number 1..........................

and the container ships that are in the same port are woefully under-inspected.......

CRUISE SHIP PASSENGERS:
1.) Miami
2.) Cape Canaveral
3.) Port Everglades
7.) Tampa
AUTHOR: My dear ole MOM
High Cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2008, 19:19   #13

Boat: Southern Cross 39 - sv Kristali
Clearance Procedure

RE: clearance procedures. I don't recall seeing this posted before. We registered in the "Local Boaters Option" w/ the US Customer/ Border Protection and used it last year entering the US from the Bahamas (sorry US Citizens only). One phone call was all that was required... A simple, efficient process. No longer required docking and making two separate calls to customs + immigration. We were stopped by the Coasties about midnight offshore of Ft Pierce; they appeared out of know where... lights flashing. A few basic questions....no boarding. Don't know if the ID requirement will change this procedure..

Steve

CBP Announces Local Boater Option for Florida Boaters - CBP.gov

With the addition of the new Local Boater Option:
  • Boaters will be given the opportunity to register their biographical data and vessel information with CBP.
  • Registrants will also present themselves in person and present proof of citizenship or legal permanent residence at the time of the application. This option is available to U.S. citizens and legal permanent residents only.
  • Registration in the CBP system will result in the issuance of a pleasure boat registration number. Boaters will utilize the registration number when they notify CBP of future arrivals.
  • There is no fee for the Local Boater Option.
  • Boaters are encouraged to call their local CBP Port of Entry to schedule an appointment for enrollment in the Local Boater Option.
  • Time permitting, arriving boaters will be given the opportunity to register upon arrival during their face-to-face interview at CBP Private Aircraft Facilities and Ports of Entry.
Sailorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2008, 20:16   #14

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
A new option to the passport
U.S. PASSPORT CARD
beginning Feb. 1st

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2008, 21:51   #15
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorguy View Post
RE: clearance procedures. I don't recall seeing this posted before. We registered in the "Local Boaters Option" w/ the US Customer/ Border Protection and used it last year entering the US from the Bahamas (sorry US Citizens only). One phone call was all that was required... A simple, efficient process. No longer required docking and making two separate calls to customs + immigration. We were stopped by the Coasties about midnight offshore of Ft Pierce; they appeared out of know where... lights flashing. A few basic questions....no boarding. Don't know if the ID requirement will change this procedure..

Can I get this done at Port Canaveral?
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote