Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2012, 06:54   #1

Cruising Tobago

I've been cruising Tobago for years and it really is the jewel of the Caribbean. With its numerous anchorages, Tobago offers an idyllic and unspoilt cruising ground for anything from a week (if you are in a rush) or for a month or more if you are running on Tobago time. Secure, safe and quiet havens reminiscent of the Caribbean twenty years ago.
Reputedly the island of Robinson Crusoes, Tobago is host to the oldest protected rain forest in the Caribbean which in turn is host to over 400 species of birds, over 600 species of butterflies and around 100 species of mammal. A nature lovers paradise, the island is littered with beautiful waterfalls, stunning vistas and golden sandy beaches.
Tobago, like Trinidad, takes its annual carnival seriously to the point that preparations start in earnest in January. The festivities continue until Easter, with local harvest festivals and culminates with the Easter goat racing at Buccoo.
Other annual events include the Jazz Festival at Pigeon Point, the islandwide Heritage Festival, Sail week at Crown Point, the Blue Food Festival at Bloody Bay and the Dive Festival at Speyside and Crown Point.
Tobago is the drift diving capital of the eastern Caribbean with pristine coral and a wide ranging fish population. It is also home to one of the largest brain corals in the western hemisphere. I try and get back as much as possible to take part in the events.
There are services here if you need them too - Store Bay Marine Services is based at the main anchorage at Store Bay. Run by John and Katy Stickland, we found it a great place to get help and advice. They also have WIFI, laundry and engine mechanics - its worth checking them out - they even have a great book swap!
Tobago Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:07   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Cruising Tobago

Fascinating post

and two postings back to back of the same thing.........
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:21   #3

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Fascinating post

and two postings back to back of the same thing.........
Like Yogi said ... it's deja vu all over again.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:23   #4

thanks for the warm welcome! I am actually new to this - clearly if I wanted to be patronised by "vintage" posters like yourself I would go somewhere else
Old 11-03-2012, 07:24   #5
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

How is safety there, Ive hear rumblings that that area has a lot of crime??
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:26   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

i think "cruising tobago" might be an oxymoron,since apart from store bay (windy and poor holding),and man of war bay/charlotteville(rolly and deep) there is not really any where else to cruise!

though i must say it is a lovely place and well worth a visit!

plus,the locals are very mellow,which might be somthing to do with the size of the joints they chainsmoke in public!!!
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:30   #7

Crime is falling here according to the local figures from the police - what often happens is that Trinidad and Tobago get lumped together and they are two separate and very different islands so people's perception is skewed. Tobago is extremely safe compared to other Caribbean islands - yes no where is crime free - but here it is safe.
As for yachts and crime - it very rarely happens here - especially when you compare it to Grenada, St Lucia, St Vincent, Grenadines. It just pays to be sensible - for example we lock our boat when we leave it, just like we would lock our front door at home, we like mixing with locals but don't attempt to do business with the man who is running his business from a street bench - it is just common sense and I am often shocked how many yachties leave their brains at home.....and do some crazy things!
Old 11-03-2012, 07:43   #8

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobago Cruiser View Post
thanks for the warm welcome! I am actually new to this - clearly if I wanted to be patronised by "vintage" posters like yourself I would go somewhere else
Sorry, you post just came off like some sort of sales pitch for a tobago based resort.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:44   #9

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobago Cruiser View Post
Like where?

Tags
cruising, Tobago