Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2010, 08:37   #16
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
We love anchoring out far from the madding crowd so it sounds like we have missed those glory days in Cuba.
yeah... by about 54 years...

I just recently used up the last bottle of creme de banana from my grandfathers stash... man were the labels cool...*sigh*

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:54   #17

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
This site has quite a bit of information.

Home

Steve
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:06   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Indeed Steve, the Cuba Cruising net is a good resource
Home

www . cubacruising . net/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cuba_Existing_Marinas.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	367.1 KB
ID:	17527  

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:05   #19

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanssouci View Post
I have been provisioned and waiting since 1991, if change does not happen soon I may be to old to realized the benefits of visiting my neighbors. (90 miles away)
Maybe I am one up on you - 10+ years ago I splurged for over US$400 bought the official Cuban Marine chart sets, both paper and digital, anticipating the "imminent" opening to visits by US citizens. I forget where the paper charts went to but the digital charts I look at now and then - dreaming and also still waiting.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:45   #20

Boat: KP 44
Re: Cruising Cuba

Are there any recommendations for cruising guides or maps for Cuba? Where would you go? We are a family of 4, with two teenage boys. The men in the family dive, and we all snorkel.
cfg7587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:02   #21

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg7587 View Post
Are there any recommendations for cruising guides or maps for Cuba? Where would you go? We are a family of 4, with two teenage boys. The men in the family dive, and we all snorkel.
Nigel Calder's cruising guide is about the most detailed but even it is a bit out of date. Bluewater Books in Fort Lauderdale used to sell copies of excellent Cuba Charts. I don't know if they still do. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 13:15   #22

Boat: DUFOUR 12000 CT - 45' - SANS SOUCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
Maybe I am one up on you - 10+ years ago I splurged for over US$400 bought the official Cuban Marine chart sets, both paper and digital, anticipating the "imminent" opening to visits by US citizens. I forget where the paper charts went to but the digital charts I look at now and then - dreaming and also still waiting.
I think we may have been sailing the same boat. I still have the paper cuban charts and digital charts but I now think GoogleEarth with GPS tracker would be better. dreaming and also still waiting and I'm only 90 miles away.
sanssouci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 16:04   #23

Also Simon Charles has a Cuba Cruising guide that is available on Amazon.
- - Being in Canada your local nautical chart stores or the one on the eastern side of the country most probably sell the authentic Cuban Government Nautical Charts. They are also available on DVD.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Corel010.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	31263  
Old 07-09-2011, 05:27   #24
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

I seem to recall someone involved with this site posting here on CF in the past:
Cruise Cuba, current planning and advice for sailing to Cuba

Quote:
In 2011, cruisers can look for Volume 1 of Yacht Pilot's Cruising Guide to Cuba. Written by Capt. Cheryl Barr, this guide provides detailed information for the western regions of the island. For more information visit our Cruising Guides page.
I wonder if the guide has actually been published.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:43   #25
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Wow given all the pent up demand from you guys in the US. I'd recommend everyone else go there soon. You know what happens when the yanks arrive 
Old 07-09-2011, 06:07   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Wow given all the pent up demand from you guys in the US. I'd recommend everyone else go there soon. You know what happens when the yanks arrive 
there allready there.........guantanamo........
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:39   #27

Boat: Hunter 430

For all you Yanks out there....

I had two nice discussions today....one with a friend of mine who has been in the Coast Guard out of Miami for 31 years, and one with a U.S. Customs supervisor. Here's what they said about traveling to and from Cuba.

The Coastie said that they don't care whether you came from Cuba, the Bahamas, etc. It's not in their charter to "catch" Americans visiting Cuba illegally. They are looking for drug runners, and not slow boats with an ounce of weed on them...they are interested in disrupting the supply line into the U.S. In summary, you stand no more probability of being boarded by the Coast Guard coming back from Cuba as you do from the Bahamas. If you are boarded, be courteous; you may ask them to put on "boat shoes", and they will oblige.

The Customs Supervisor discussion was a little humorous. He stated that, as an American, I cannot visit Cuba. I responded that nowhere in the U.S. Constitution does it say that the federal government can regulate where I go....only where I may spend U.S. currency. He flat stated that I cannot visit Cuba (unless on a permit for certain exemptions, already covered in another thread here). He stated that it's a $10,000 fine.

But then he lightened up, and said, "you need to ask better questions". He then said, there's no chance I would actually be fined the $10,000 unless I had lots of cargo from Cuba on board (live or otherwise). He stated that they would just search the boat, tell me to not go again, and leave. He further said that everyone at the Customs department thinks that the rule is completely stupid and that they have better things to do than badger sailors about whether or not they should have gone to Cuba.

He DID state that the worst thing you could do is lie about where you've been....that will surely wind up with you in prison.

So, I learned that (a) the Coast Guard couldn't care less if you went to Cuba, (b) arguing Federalism with a Customs agent is pointless, (c) you may visit Cuba; just pay cash for everything while you are there, bring NOTHING back, and ask forgiveness from the Customs agent when you return. If you are rebellious in nature, I wish you fair winds and following seas.
hogfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:46   #28

Boat: Hunter 42

Thanks for that tidbit of information. Who knows where the winds will blow us next time out. Our current plan is to sail to Isla from the Dry Tortugas but you never know what will come up. We might need to stop and fix something or other...
wahoo40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:56   #29

I suspect that the officials Hogfighter talked with make up the vast majority of USCG and US Customs officials, but - if you happen to encounter the rare - but definitely out there - "crusader" or "newbie" who is out to enforce his interpretation of the regulations you can be in for a world of hassles and legal problems.
- - I have run into these types maybe 3 times in 10 years in the Caribbean and there is nothing you can do but pray the problem won't pass further up the chain than their supervisor. Still too much risk for my tastes . . . There are other places to go that are great and without risk of adding unnecessary complications or hassles.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:57   #30

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
Also Simon Charles has a Cuba Cruising guide that is available on Amazon.
- - Being in Canada your local nautical chart stores or the one on the eastern side of the country most probably sell the authentic Cuban Government Nautical Charts. They are also available on DVD.

We used this guide on our cruise of the south coast of Cuba and often wondered of the guy had ever actually been there. Calder's guide is much, much better. Both are out of date. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Cuba