Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2012, 08:30   #1

Boat: Westsail 28
Cost of Bottled Water ... ?

Does anybody know the cost of bottled water in the Bahamas.....I don't have a watermaker and don't drink from my water tank.....
thanks
svzosha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 08:53   #2

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Re: Cost of bottled water...?

Save yourself a lot of aggravation and expense. Give your water tank and lines a thorough cleaning and put a filter like the Brita or Pur on your galley faucet. You now have better water than the bottled stuff. Bottled water in the Bahamas is expensive IF YOU CAN FIND IT. Not to mention all of that room it is going to take up. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 10:46   #3

Location: wherever the boat is---from central amer to canada....so far...
Boat: defever trawler 41-nomad

great idea, waterwayguy...there's an even better reason NOT to buy bottled water---take a walk on any windward beach and see how many bottled water bottles are there...it'll disgust you..

i can't stand to see all the idiots (anywhere) sucking on their bottled water...the stuff you get from your tap is more likely purere and better for you..also, the cost of manufacturing/filling/shipping these enviornmental poison pills costs the enviornment in terms of carbon/greenhouse gasses/and depleting our oil reserves...

c'mon, folks, get with the program...the world will eventually drown in plastic...
defever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 10:50   #4

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

I totally agree, I just didn't want to get into a discussion on the environmental impact and change the subject. You can buy one bottle of water and refill it with your own tap water over and over if it makes you feel better. It's called recycling. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 10:59   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterwayguy View Post
Save yourself a lot of aggravation and expense. Give your water tank and lines a thorough cleaning and put a filter like the Brita or Pur on your galley faucet. You now have better water than the bottled stuff. Bottled water in the Bahamas is expensive IF YOU CAN FIND IT. Not to mention all of that room it is going to take up. Chuck
+1

IMHO bottled water has no place on a boat. A pain to lug and store and trash to deal with - for what? I would second the recommendation to get your tanks and water system in order - if you don't want to drink it, then do you really want to bathe in it or cook with it??!! Then put in a Seagull filter for drinking.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 11:16   #6

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

RO water is available at most all of the marinas for 25 to 50 cents a gallon. However, I agree with the others, it's a pain to lug and store water jugs.
Old 17-01-2012, 11:20   #7

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

Why do you not drink from your water tank? Bottled water in the Bahamas is going to be fairly pricey by comparison to bottled water in the US.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 11:41   #8

Boat: grampian 26

Bottled water? How did the world ever survive before its' introduction? Have we become a nation of overly coddled babies?
Are people dropping like flies from drinking the water in most of the developed world? I think we need to re-examine the propaganda we are being fed by the corporate shills who are telling us we are going to get sick or die if we don't buy/use their products. End of rant.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 11:43   #9

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Dockhead u van bathe in salt water but I wouldn't drink that either. I don't drink from any boat that has an aluminum water tank unless its an emergency situation. Aluminum sulfate contamination is nothing to take lightly. We use refillable 2.5 gallon jugs specially made for drinking water. Everyone preaches about plastics but drinking bottle plastics are easily recycled. Are great for freezing and u can drink or refreeze when done. How many of u buy your diesel oil in bulk and reuse yourboil container?
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 11:43   #10

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Meant oil container
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 12:40   #11

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

On the subject of bottled water it's amazing how the times and attitudes change.

Back in the early 80's I started my first "real" job as a sales rep for an industrial supplies company. My Sales manager's son was a rep for Coca Cola at the time, and they must have just started selling bottled water. My sales manager had got hold of a bottle of water and had a little plaque made up that read

"If you think your job is tough, just thank goodness you don't have to try and sell this"

and had it mounted to his wall. Of course at the time we all thought that statement to be undeniably true but now it saddens me to think that if his son is still in the business he is probably driving around in an upmarket Porsche paid for by bottled water sales commission!
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 13:00   #12

Boat: Cape Dory

To answer the question: $20 a case or more, where it is available at all. If you really can't use your water tanks, buy some portable water containers at Walmart. You can buy RO water in many places for .25-.75 / gal.
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 13:05   #13

That's why God invented tea, so you can drink from the water tanks. (I consider it OK if I boil it.)
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 13:11   #14

Boat: Cape Dory

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
That's why God invented tea, so you can drink from the water tanks. (I consider it OK if I boil it.)

And I thought that's why she invented GIN!

My bad.
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 13:28   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

This is a good product for cleaning fresh water systems on boats: Puriclean - MFG#UPCSTD - 14 oz. Tub

Tags
water