Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2008, 18:34   #1

Chartering in the BVI from Tortola

I am planning to charter for my first time out of Tortola and was wondering what company people would recomend using. I have received quotes from the Moorings, Horizons, and Bareboats BVI. I currently sail on a Jenneau 42 and would prefer to sail either a Jenneau or Beneteau since I am comfortable with the boat and know where all the system controls are.

any recomendations on charter companies and also books or websites you would recomended me use to plan my trip would be appreciated

Thanks

Seth G
True North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2008, 18:51   #2

Boat: De Kleer Fraser 30
Seth, we used Footloose which is a subsidiary of Moorings. They use older, refurbished Moorings boats at a cheaper price. Worked very well for us.

Patrick
psteele235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2008, 19:27   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Try www.bviyachtcharters.com They are great folks, and the business has grown well over the years. They have a Jeanneau 43, a 2004 model. They also have quite a few new(er) boats in their fleet.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2008, 19:53   #4

Bill

Is BVI easy to get ahold of if something goes wrong with the boat during use? What boat did you charter from BVI?
True North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2008, 19:59   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The owner/manager used to have the mooring concession in the Bight at Norman Island - don't know if he still does. We had NO problems with the boat we chartered from them - and in 9 charters in the BVI with others, that's never been the case. But, in an emergency, they are available via cell phone or radio. They have a high speed - go most anywhere chase boat.

We chartered a 50 from them. My brother JUST went with them a couple of months ago, and chartered "Jasper", with A/C & a generator. They also had a problem-free charter.

We've recommended them to many, many folks, and very few have had any problems. We really like the personal service.
Old 26-08-2008, 16:08   #6

Boat: Ensenada 20
We chartered in the BVI with Sunsail many times and have always been very pleased. The one time we had a boat problem we called them on the radio, and they had a repair person there in less than an hour, and had us one our way in less than another hour.

Our son also chartered there from Conch Charters a couple of times and was pleased both times.
Lightfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2008, 17:45   #7

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Whichever company you go with you'll have a great time. Most of the companies give very good service so there's not much between them. Of course, you'll hear individual horror stories but, these are the exceptions. The question then becomes whether you want to go with a first or second tier company. I like Conch Charters for a second tier company. For first tier you've got Sunsail and Moorings, both owned by the same outfit.
Old 26-08-2008, 18:03   #8

Boat: Island Packet 380
Hi there,

Another place to consider in Tortola is TMM Yacht Charters. We just chartered with them in June. We had a 42 Jenneau DS 2007. Great boat. I actually found the owner of the boat on another forum and contacted him and we ended up chartering the boat directly from him rather through TMM. That means we got all the same service and attention as anyone else who charters from TMM, but at a reduced price because we went directly through the owner.
sweetsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2008, 07:32   #9

Hi, Like Bill said. Try bviyachtcharters.com. I'v been with them 4 times in the last 10 years. Last times with Delphinus a Beneteau 393 then new and Shiraz a Beneteau 40 1 year old. You can choose the ship you like and know the age. Owner is involved in the business. Everybody is very helpfull. Good Luck
Pierremundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2008, 17:03   #10

Not to veer of course... but, We just got back from a Moorings charter. I loved it, the wife however missed AC. With that said, does anyone know where I can get a smaller boat with AC and generator??? The smallest thing at the Moorings, I believe is 51'. Not condusive for just 2 people. Anyone??
Floyd94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2008, 08:48   #11

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
The problem with smaller boats with AC and generators is that they often sink......

Usually the result of a torpedo run from adjacent boats who hate the noise and smells....

Smaller boat and some larger boats have very poor sound reduction for the gens which are typically run all night. If you have to use one, you may want to stick to the larger touristy type locations to avoid more seclusion seeking boaters who may be more vocal in their feeling about the noise and odors of having generators running day and night in close proximity to them.

Back on Topic... I've also use BVI Yacht Charters and found them to be a good company... but I'll also agree with the prior post which said you will probably be very satisfied with almost any 1st or 2nd tier charter service you select and has been mentioned here already. I spend a good bit of time in the area and have seen most of these operations and they are very competitive and generally have excellent support services well established... obviously the larger ones such as Mooring have more but you also pay a price for that. These boat are generally maintained better than many non charter owner operated boats... you should not have any problems so select based on what amenities you want/ need on a boat.
Old 31-08-2008, 15:47   #12

another positive vote for Conch Charters
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2008, 16:26   #13

Boat: Dolphin 460 Catamaran WONDERLAND
I used Horizen in the BVI once. They did a fine job. No problems. I would use them again.
Old 01-09-2008, 20:26   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

www.bviyachtcharters has several A/C - generator boats. My brother chartered "Jasper" a couple of months ago, and loved it. And, he's REALLY picky (and rich).
Old 08-09-2008, 18:18   #15

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5
BVI charter with Moorings

I chartered from Tortola using the Moorings. I chartered a 47' Leopard. My wife and three children were on board. We also had two ocean kyaks on board. In terms of service, I have a story. I decided to go into the Caribbean Ocean in the deep water and catch big wind. I had a great sail, but during the sailing, the outboard came off the dinghy. Luckily, I recovered the outboard because it was attached to the dink by a safety cord. I raidoed the Moorings base, and they were out within 20 minutes of anchoring with a brand new outboard and gas tank, no questions asked. Without a dink in the BVI, the trip is seriously hampered. I am planning a trip to sail Greece with the Moorings, as well. They are very helpful. Also, the provisioning for groceries is a snap!
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
British Virgin Islands