Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2014, 14:04   #16

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Carribean or Gulf of Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
Via the Windward Passage or from Florida?
Well, it's your trip…

I somehow thought you were leaving from the Bahamas, so had the Windward Passage in mind, but now I reread it and see you are leaving from the Keys, which changes things a little bit.

If you decide to do North Cuba, then you are probably best to drop South through the Caymans from there and things will be a little bit tighter to the wind than if you were coming more from the East.

Or preferably you could go around to the South coast of Cuba and make your way more East in the protection of the land and drop south with the wind at a greater angle.

It doesn't make a lot of sense to go through the Windward Passage from the Keys.

But if you go the E Caribe route, you will be needing to make 3,000 miles in 4 months, with half of them upwind and the other half in strong winds/waves. The Western/Central passage will be less than half that distance in more favorable conditions.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 15:02   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Well, it's your trip…

I somehow thought you were leaving from the Bahamas, so had the Windward Passage in mind, but now I reread it and see you are leaving from the Keys, which changes things a little bit.

If you decide to do North Cuba, then you are probably best to drop South through the Caymans from there and things will be a little bit tighter to the wind than if you were coming more from the East.

Or preferably you could go around to the South coast of Cuba and make your way more East in the protection of the land and drop south with the wind at a greater angle.

It doesn't make a lot of sense to go through the Windward Passage from the Keys.

But if you go the E Caribe route, you will be needing to make 3,000 miles in 4 months, with half of them upwind and the other half in strong winds/waves. The Western/Central passage will be less than half that distance in more favorable conditions.

Mark
Thanks. I'm Chesapeake based now and thinking ahead to a likely November 2015 departure. It's looking like ICW to Moorhead, NC to Eastern Caribbean (or) ICW to Fla. Keys then to Western Carib.

As I said, we're looking for as much comfort and adventure as we can reasonably get without breaking the cruising kitty. Not having much opportunity to run up a bar/restaurant tab would be a plus.
sneuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 16:59   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Just my $0.02. We've been to most of the islands of the EC, via charter. After talking with friends who did both, we'll be doing the Mexico to Panama thing. No contest on the decision. And Isla Mujeras is delightful.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gulf of mexico, Mexico, rib