Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2011, 22:36   #1
JJB

Boat: Warwick 72 custom
Caribbean Countries, and 3g Internet Connections

Hello!
I haven't sailed in the Caribbean in more than 10 years, I'm just looking for a little updated advice on the region regarding a couple of things, firstly, 3g Internet, I'm looking to curtail the use of our Inmarsat broadband service when we can. In the Caribbean region, is there a single phone company that provides 3g Internet without having to change carrier for every island you visit or obtain new Sim cards etc that provide a decent 3g Internet connection? If there is it would just make sense to me to install a high gain 3g/UMTS Antenna on the boat.

Next off I have heard some fairly recent what I would call rumors about piracy in the area becoming a bit of a problem, is there any truth to this, and or any strategy to avoid the problem?
I've also been doing a bit of a search round the net for customs issues between all the islands, as I remember it was a bit of a nightmare with the amount of paperwork I had to fill out last time, is there any one single unified resource private or government that has updated info on all the procedures regarding this now?
Lastly, I'm what races are sailed in the Caribbean now, as we would be very interested in sailing in a few in perhaps 2012.
Any info anyone could provide would be great.
JJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 22:44   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
have you checked noonsite.com?? they have excellent info on checking in and out of countries in caribean. also lots of other info. very good site for cruising info.
there is wifi in many places in caribean--i was able to use my sprint service in usvi, and bvi had wifi.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 22:57   #3
JJB

Boat: Warwick 72 custom
Thanks for that Zeehag, I haven't seen that site before.
JJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 04:00   #4
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
You'll never escape the C & I paperwork, but some of the islands have attempted to make it a bit easier. eSeaClear offers the ability to put all your info into an electronic system, which can then be accessed when you arrive at one of the participating countries. These are the countries currently participating:
  • Anguilla
  • Aruba
  • British Virgin Islands
  • Dominica
  • Netherlands Antilles
  • Saint Kitts and Nevis
  • Saint Lucia
  • Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
The French islands have added clearance kiosks at convenient locations where you can "do it yourself".

"Piracy" is a bit too strong a term for the petty thievery that happens here and there in the eastern Caribbean, although there have been a few isolated cases of armed boardings at the southern end of the Lesser Antilles. You can have a look for yourself on the Caribbean Safety and Security Net. They collect and report incidents. Noonsite also reports some of the more sensational cases. As Zee noted, it's a very good source of a lot of info, as are Chris Doyle's cruising guides.

Caribbean Compass and All at Sea provide pretty good coverage of the racing scene. Look at their archived issues. St Thomas, St Maarten and Antigua hold the bulk of them.

Sorry, can't help you with the 3G internet access. Cable & Wireless serves the bulk of the islands in the eastern Caribbean, so you might want to contact them about it.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:11   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
The Cable & Wireless Communications Group has been rebranded as Landline, Internet, Mobile, Entertainment, or LIME.
LIME provides telecom services to the communities of 13 Caribbean islands: Anguilla, Antigua & Barbuda, Barbados, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Dominica, Grenada, Jamaica, Montserrat, St Kitts & Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines and Turks & Caicos.
Cable & Wireless Communications | Caribbean

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean