Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2010, 08:06   #1

Boat: 2006 Four Winns 348 Vista "Cruisin Home"
Cape Cod Destination for Kids ?

Wanna bring the boat there in August (north side of cape). anyone know of a good port to bring the kids (7, 12, 13)??? the like nature, adventure etc.

someone told me that Brewster is good.

we will also do boston Harbor Islands. any comments?
Cruisin Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2010, 10:17   #2

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
Ptown is great, lots of slips, moorings or just anchor out.
There's a whole pack of kids that hang out every day swimming off McMillon pier.
Wonderful beaches and parks and lots to do.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2010, 11:04   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzo b View Post
Ptown is great ... and lots to do.
Indeed:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ade-43636.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2010, 11:22   #4

Boat: Allures 44
The harbor islands are great. We anchored just outside Hull last summer, with easy access to Boston via ferry.

P'Town, of course. Lots of whales off Stellwagen and east of the Cape right now, whether you sail yourself or take one of the whalewatching boats.

If you need a place to duck in on the west side of Cape Cod Bay, Scituate is easy, with a movie theater, restaurants, etc, just across from the harbor master's office.

I'm don't know much about Wellfleet or Barnstable Harbors.
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2010, 14:48   #5

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"
I second Provincetown. We do a family cruise there every year. (We'll be there July 22-29 this year.) We park the boat off Long Point about a mile across the harbor from town. It's all preserved National Seashore on that side, very beautiful. My girls (ages 9 and 12) can spend hours out there running around on the sandflats and beaches, and digging and collecting shells and snorkeling. When we get tired of rampaging about like wild savages, we sail over to the town side and walk around checking out the art galleries and ice cream shops. We always take one day to sail out to Stellwagen and see the whales from our own boat -- an awesome experience. All in all, Provincetown is a good balance of nature and civilization.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2010, 14:56   #6

Boat: Bristol 38.8
There is no harbor in Brewster and it's shallow. Your boat can dry out a low tide.

If you want to stay on the North side of Cape Cod, the place to go is Wellfleet. Provincetown is fun, but only if your children enjoyed the tenderloin district in San Francisco or bike week in Laconia. Otherwise, I'd suggest Wellfleet. It is also more convenient to the great beaches at the National Seashore (e.g. Marconi).

The Boston Harbor islands are great, but afterwards I'd suggest a trip through the Cape Cod Canal to sail the Elizabeth Islands, the Vineyard and the South side of the Cape (Harwichport, Yarmouth etc.) There is more to do, and better sailing.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2010, 18:05   #7

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
I would second Wellfleet...it's my favorite town on the cape.....been going there for over 30 years...it's a great place
Old 14-07-2010, 18:36   #8

Boat: Morgan OI 30' Itinerant
lots to sea...see

We enjoy P town as an anchorage and sail often in Hingham Bay. The north/west side of Peddocks Island is a great anchorage and its a nice place to explore and find sea glass. If you do the canal then consider Bass Island, Cuttyhunk, or Onset. Cuttyhunk is very limited as far as transportation goes but its a beautifle anchorage and with a little effort $$ you can get someone to drive you around on a golf cart. Lots of wild flowers and spectacular views. In fact if you get near Woods Hole be sure and visit the Vinyard or Nantucket. The Vinyard has an easy anchorage while Nantucket may require booking a mooring ahead of time. We like to walk around and listen to the street musicians and eat ice cream....We'll be doing just that during Nantucket Race week....weekend of the 13th.

J.M.Synge, in The Aran Islands
Boomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2010, 03:26   #9

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
Wellfleet is also very good. You can anchor off Great Island in the outer harbor and spend days wandering around Great Island. The town itself has a lot less going on to entertain kids than Ptown You really need a car in Wellfleet and the traffic is murder.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 12:03   #10

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9
If you want to see some real action, take a sail along the east end of the cape where the seals are. There's been a 15' great white spotted a few times. The seals are very cool to see as well.

Unfortunately the only thing I have access to is a 12' jet ski and a 15' shark is NOT what I want to see while on it, although I'd love to see it from a boat

I will agree with other's that Wellfleet is a great place. I often Jet Ski there from Dennis for lunch. I'd visit P-Town too, but alas Jet Skis are not allowed.. makes no sense to me when you consider some of the loud oil buring boats I have seen there LOL

And please forgive me Jet Ski use - I'm saving up for a Catamaran
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cape cod, kids