Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2009, 16:41   #16

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Sometimes I wish my business would just up and fail, sometimes.

It is super slow right now but not "over".

Either option will work I suspect.

Best of luck.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 17:46   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
What's wrong with motoring...

What's wrong with a little motoring. Real Cruisers motor 60% of the time anyway.

Save the sails for when the wind is light and you don't really want to go anywhere.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:03   #18

Boat: Mainship 34, Flying Scot
I'm not sure time of the year matters much for crossing the stream, but to make it reasonably pleasant, you don't want to cross when the wind is out of one of the northern quadrants.
micksbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:29   #19

Boat: 1974 Sabre 28 Mk I - Icefire
What the heck, go for it.

Shoot, the Bumfuzzle couple bought a cat and sailed it around the world with pretty much no experience at all, and you've already got some salt on you (I assume that's not dandruff ). So you ought to be able to at least do your plan A without killing yourself.

Now before people start with the Bumfuzzle flame-spray again, I only bring them up to illustrate a point. That, and I think they're a cool couple who did a kick-ass thing that I envy.

Anyway, that's my $.02

-Alexei
Alexei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:54   #20

Boat: 82 Present, 13 ft dinghy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markhumphreys View Post
You can call me insane. You can call me stupid. But you can’t call me chicken.
The plan: My plan is to buy 36’ cat (w/survey) and commence to sailing around the Bahamas.
Background: I’ve never owned a sailboat nor have I ever sailed. I have owned power boats from 18’ to 34’ for most of my life life. I’m very familiar with getting around in marinas, securing, anchoring and mooring. I understand the need redundancy in equipment. I understand how weather can turn everything bad with a moment’s notice.
About me: My business (construction) is kaput. My youngest is going to college in the fall. My wife’s business is doing well and she says “do whatever”. I’m a very “hands on” guy and come equipped with more common sense than most. I am capable (and experienced) of understanding/repairing/maintaining almost anything. I have pursued many many adventures. Sailing is the next in the series.
The Crash Course: My plan for crash course training is to one of two plans: Plan #1 (wing it) - take a few sailing lessons in Florida and then hang out at the harbor in Nassau. See if I crew for free until I get my sea legs (or fins). Plan #2 – Hire an experienced skipper to pilot the boat for awhile.
What do you think? Feel free to call me whatever, just not chicken.
Wow MH,

You sound much like I do when I describe myself, electronics, plumbing, electrical, carpendery or whatever,I retired and have the same kitchen pass as you.

I am taking it a bit slower, I hope to live on a boat tied up for 2wks to a month to see if I can be happy in such a small space, my shower alone at home is 2x as large as most boat shower-lavatory-head space. My decadence knows few bounds,5 shower heads in that home shower for instance. Next is the sailing lessons (again), did the Colgate course, keelboat 101 some years back.

As you I have owned and been around power boats all my life. Chartered, and ran small boats (65ft landingcraft) in the Navy. I have 350,000 destroyer steaming miles bhind me. I should be able to figger out how to have motion with rags and wind, other than just passing same.

Good luck on your quest, I will be coming along behind you. If there is anything you need a nub (non useful body) for to help, pm me. I am in Fort Worth and am open to about anything on the Alantic-Gulf.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 16:19   #21

I see nothing wrong with your plan except the Nassau part! Head to bimini and the Exumas or cross from Lauderdale to the Abacos...both a hell of a lot nicer and just as easy!

camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:58   #22

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
The Gulfstream is not a problem so long as you are willing to wait until good conditions prevail. Winds west thru south to east - avoid anything with north in it. And waves 3 feet or less. This does occur at least once or twice each month. If you can do 6 kts or more then day crossing are really nice as you can see everything and reduce the "pucker factor" of night sailing. Also do "minimum time crossings" which is once you get into the Gulfstream proper head perpendicular to the axis of the stream and accept any northward drift until you get to the other side then turn north or south to your destination sailing/motoring close alone the coastline/beaches.
The Bahamas are quite tame for "newbees" and an excellent place to gain experience while have lots of fun.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:01   #23

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
My 2 cents - Just don't do it when there is a north wind, (or if ya do make it a calm day) not fun when the stream tries to stand up (more than it already does). I've crossed five times, one was with a north wind at night. But it has been ten years since my last crossing so that is all I can bring to mind. It is kind of wild to aim for Miami and end up in fort Peirce
Here is an article I found that might be helpful Crossing the Gulf Stream
Erika
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:36   #24

Yep, I got 8 heads in my master bath shower. It was a bear to plumb. The shower is done and I'm ready to go!
Markhumphreys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:43   #25

The boat is in Bimi on the hard. I plan to hang-out in Bimi for a month and do some retrofitting before I have it put in. The hurrican season scares me a little. I may leave it on the hard until December, althouth I would like try sailing before then. Do most cruisers leave the Bahamas from June until December?
Markhumphreys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 13:20   #26
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
the only time you are crazy is whenya do not do that which ya wishes to do....like--not go sailing.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 17:36   #27

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Certainly people have jumped into bigger ventures with less experience. Consider Tania Aebie's solo circumnavigation. The Bahamas is certainly a fine cruising destination in my opinion.

One thing I do recommend is take a little time to get to know the boat and make repairs and adjustments. Boats are complex things and most often not maintained to cruising standards. Even with a survey, there will probably be issues that are not apparent until you get out and use the boat and many of these will likely be easier to address at a home port than under way. Other issues will be apparent, but still easier to fix at home.

I recently purchased a use monohull. There are several issues I'm now addressing which were not apparent at purchase or survey: The holding tank doesn't pump overboard. This could not be tested at survey, because we were in a no discharge area. There's a short in one of the circuit boards. The sprit and anchoring system was really a headache. The transmission has an issue which isn't bad, but may have turned into a big issue untreated on a cruise. It will take some time to get fixed, but since I'm not on cruise time, there is not pressure. I'd be very frustrated if I was giving up cruising time waiting on repairs.

I know there have been many people who have just jumped off with good results, but I think it's worth considering the above.

All in all think you have a great plan. While I think it's worth dedicating a bit of time to assess the boat and getting it ready, I think there are also far too many people who feel they are never ready and never cut the dock lines.

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing" - Hellen Kellar

(That's what the t-shirt said anyways.)

All the best.

- Dave
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2009, 20:23   #28

Boat: Bristol 34
Yes, you are crazy

You want to talk crazy?Check out www.bumfuzzle.com.

A young couple decides over pizza and beer one night to buy a boat and sail the world. They were at sea six months before gaining enough experience to be called “novices”. However, those two kids truly know the meaning of the phrase “a life well lived”.

Every old salt here was once a novice. If you are smart enough to operate a computer then you are smart enough to learn and live your dream of sailing.

Ignore the nay Sayers (friends and family so neutered by modern life they believe “adventures” are had through a 52” flat panel tely).

Go for it with gusto and never look back.
rover88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2009, 21:06   #29
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover88 View Post
You want to talk crazy?Check out www.bumfuzzle.com.

A young couple decides over pizza and beer one night to buy a boat and sail the world. They were at sea six months before gaining enough experience to be called “novices”. However, those two kids truly know the meaning of the phrase “a life well lived”.
Those "two kids," now about 34, are happily expecting their first Little Bum ~January 1, 2010. If you want some real inspiration, read their Adventure Chronicles at the Bumfuzzle website.

Everyone should have the courage to live the adventures the Bums, Pat and Ali Shulte, have. They started out pretty much as rover88 stated, sailed their Wildcat 35 over 30,000 miles around the planet, completing their circumnavigation in less than four years, and are currently seeing the world via their '58 VW split-window microbus.

There's much more to their never-ending quest for an adventurous life, so check out their website. Great stuff!

TaoJones