Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2021, 08:01   #1

Boat: Hunter 36 timeshare
BVI and USVI

I don’t sail much, but I have sailed the BVI’s twice. I’m thinking of chartering a monohull in the BVI’s for 10 days and adding a three night cruise around St John. I’ve never cleared customs, so that will be a first. Four people on board. All US citizens. All advice/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Jack Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2021, 10:52   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Re: BVI and USVI

I just managed to leave the BVI last week, and this was by far my most painful experience in over 15 years of owning boats in the BVI and clearing out of there for both the USVI and other ports many, many times.
At the current time you need to apply for a "pre-clearance" via e-mail in order to even be allowed to show up at Customs & Immigration. The application needs to have your boat paperwork, scans of passport ID pages, entrance papers, cruising permit or temporary import. I applied on July 3rd for exit on the 13th. On the 13th I hadn't heard back and despite calling and e-mail got no answer and thus could not leave. I've spoken with professional crew, Moorings representatives and others who confirmed that this is typical. I was suddenly in limbo - my stay period was over and I was neither allowed to leave nor to stay. After lots of e-mails back and forth I finally got my clearance 2 WEEKS later! I wasn't sweating it too much, since I wasn't on a tight schedule but anyone such as yourself might have issues. At the same time, the exit PCR test results for returning to the USVI needed to be for a test less than 72 old. But the BVI tests results weren't coming until after 72 hours! Hence the test was essentially useless.

The big outbreak in the BVI is now over, but I would caution against exiting and re-entering on a charter boat and on a schedule as the BVI authorities will almost certainly make holding to a schedule impossible.

Entering and leaving the USVI is not going to be an issue - just the BVI.
Old 30-07-2021, 11:07   #3

Jack,

In 1986 we took our first bareboat charter in the USVI and went to the BVIs.

Even back then, it wasted most of a day both coming and going.

Now with covid, why would you even bother?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2021, 11:09   #4

Thanks so much. I will probably wait until next year.
Old 30-07-2021, 11:17   #5

But the BVI are really nice to cruise now - there's lots to do without going to the USVI. As long as your travel arrangements to and from the BVI are secure, the charter should be awesome. I had several nights all alone in anchorages that are normally full.
You didn't state when you were thinking of going. This current chaos is so bad that I am sure that big money will complain and things will go back to the old ways (which weren't good, but tolerable). But unfortunately due to the outbreak they are having, all the bars are currently closed and restaurants are doing takeout only. Since going ashore and partying is a big thing for many charterers it means that a trip there now would be a disappointment from that point of view.
Old 30-07-2021, 11:31   #6

My preference is early during low season, so I’m already late for this year. Hopefully, next year will be back to normal.
Old 31-07-2021, 13:55   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Flash View Post
Hopefully, next year will be back to normal.
I'm hoping for that, too... But I'm sure not going to hold my breath!
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 20:01   #8

I have a trip scheduled for this September in the BVIs. Going through the current rules is making my head spin. There seems to be several ways to get screwed in the process. Thinking we will push the trip back one more year, maybe if the company survives?

Any more words of wisdom? Are things changing anytime soon?!? Who has a crystal ball out there?
JC Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 08:38   #9

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

JC Reefer, go to the USVI instead. Personally I prefer the BVI, I think the snorkeling is better but we were just in the USVI last week and had a great time. Going in and out of the USVI was not a big deal. BVI seems like a much bigger risk.

Otherwise, I'd always go BVI first under normal cirucmstances. I think popping over the USVI is fine on longer trips. It only takes the morning to check out and into the USVI and less time coming back since there's no checking out if US Citizens.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 14:06   #10

From my contacts on-island in the BVI nothing has changed for the better. I'm happy to be in St. Lucia right now, having luckily chosen not to head to St. Martin, which also went into a higher risk category. I think it might be worth think about your options should nothing in the BVI change in the next 2-3 weeks.

I believe you now need to pre-clear in order to sail out of the USVI to the BVI; at least all those clearing in from the USVI at the West End while I was clearing out had to supply all sorts of paperwork before they were allowed to clear in.

I would not contemplate any charter trip that included both the USVI and BVI at the moment. One or the other, but not both.
Old 06-08-2021, 14:35   #11

The world is still very much in the depths of a pandemic so travel should be for essential purposes only which recreational boating is definitely not.

As to entry and departure to the BVI:

Yachting Protocols:

https://www.noonsite.com/place/briti...curity-section

July 2021

The BVIs announced they were opening their maritime borders on 1 July – however – exact protocols for arriving yachts were not officially confirmed until mid-July.
See https://bvi.gov.vg/media-centre/smal...ocols-approved (13 July, 2021) and Small Vessels Entry Protocols.
For the moment – the only ports of entry are Road Town and West End on Tortola.
The BVIs are not open to charter yachts from outside the BVI.
The requirements below have been confirmed by Nanny Cay Marina:

All adults aboard must be fully vaccinated (see notes on children below).
All crew must also have proof of a certified (negative) RT-PCR Test, or
an approved rapid antigen test, taken 3-5 days before arrival in the
BVI.
The BVI Gateway Travel Application must be completed by everyone prior to arrival: http://bvigateway.bviaa.com/ (Traveller Authorisation Certificate costs approx. $35.00 and proof of vaccination and negative test results must be uploaded before paying the fee). You should be able to select “private vessel” as a means of entry.
The following documents and details listed below should then be submitted to these two email addresses 72 hours ahead of desired entry date: immigrationinfo@gov.vg and gromney@gov.vg.
– Vaccination cards for each person
– Crew List
– Intended arrival date and desired port of entry
– Maritime Health Declaration
– Boat Registration
– Portal Approval PDF from the site for each person on board
At this point, you would be waiting for a response email giving you permission to enter the BVI waters to your intended port of call. If your email is not answered and your time of the COVID test expiry is nearing, then you should start inquiring directly.
At the port of entry have copies of and be prepared to present again:
– Standard BVI Customs and Immigration entrance papers (can be obtained on arrival)
– Vaccination cards of each person
– COVID test results taken within 5 days of arrival
– Boat registration
– Maritime Declaration of Health
– Portal approval PDF copies
– [Possible letter of confirmation of summer storage or work contract with BVI provider would help].
A further COVID RAPID test will be done on arrival for every person over 5 years of age.
It is understood that unvaccinated children aged 5-17 will be tested on arrival and on the 4th day, at an approx. cost of $175. Re-tests cost $70.
Children will be released from quarantine together with their
parents/guardians once the test results for the entire group are
negative, but must remain within their family bubble.
Note: obviously this procedure does not work for long distance voyages. This would not stop one attempting to travel from further destinations, but the legislation is not in place for it to happen.
Travelers arriving to charter yachts in the BVI can find all the latest protocols and restrictions at https://www.bvitourism.com/reopening.
Private vessels can be collected from St Thomas using one of the approved delivery companies, but not with any passengers on board. Nanny Cay is offering to cover the cost of the delivery to the BVI from St Thomas if a vessel signs up to a month in Nanny Cay boatyard or marina. Contact justin@nannycay.com.

Vessels wishing to leave the BVI must get permission from the Minister of Health and copy in Betty Chalwell who handles all requests [bechalwell@gov.vg, Telephone: 468-3073]. You do not need a PCR to leave but if your next port requires one testing is available on all major islands, and they email the results to you in 48 hours. Cost $70.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 15:20   #12

Montanan - the posted information on Noonsite is outdated. The actual rules are, unfortunately, even more stringent. I would recommend contacting the BVI authorities directly prior to a trip to confirm, in writing/e-mail, what the requirements are.

especially the last part is absolutely incorrect. A PCR test is needed to get pre-clearance regardless of whether the destination country needs one or not. I can confirm this from personal experience no older than 2 weeks. The results might be returned in 48 hours, but the last official announcement by the BVI government was 72 hours before results are returned.

Charter Yachts from outside the BVI may enter, but need to use special (and expensive) agents in order to enter the territory.

In addition, specific proof of COVID insurance that covers all costs, including repatriation, is required for the duration of the stay. There are several approved local insurance providers listed.
Old 06-08-2021, 17:25   #13

Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 12:28   #14

Nota bene regarding the Virgin Islands.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	islands.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	243410