Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2010, 11:18   #31

Boat: Islander Freeport 41' Ketch
Thank you

If 15% to 20% off the asking price-- not much different from buying from a private owner/seller... though I guess the private seller's asking price starts out higher than a Charter Co. type seller's asking price...
ty.gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2010, 12:21   #32

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9
I'm just speaking from my very limited experience. How much can one really expect a price to drop? The starting prices (at least from the moorings brokerage) are pretty good prices to being with when compared to private sales.

If they started at the same price a private seller might start, then clearly I would think a much larger percentage drop would be in line. But when they are already starting significantly lower, how much more can you drop the price?

And regardless of how much the price is lowered, isn't the important part how much the final price is and how good a deal it may be? Perhaps in some cases 5% off still makes the sale a good deal?
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2010, 12:43   #33
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Beneteau Oceanis 331, 2001. Advertised for $65K in 2006.... paid $60K.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2010, 12:53   #34

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9
So I guess we have 15% and 8%. As the asking price gets lower, I imagine the discount would drop as well.

As I said, in the end, get a deal you feel is good and are happy with.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 11:44   #35

rates

I have a 2007 38 Hunter I charter in Ontario Canada from Mayto Nov.. Im considering a 51 ft in the B V I's but would like to keep it on the hard from April till Nov... Can someone please tell me the cost per month to do this somewhere in the B.v.I;s
Phil Pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 15:22   #36

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Charges for storage in the BVI on the hard is going to be 12-15$ per foot per month, plus haulout/splashing on the travelift. I think I pay about $13 per foot at Nanny Cay, the yard on Virgin Gorda is a bit cheaper (but tougher to get to). You can store for about $600 per month at a dock but that isn't a good idea during the hurricane season.
Old 14-01-2011, 15:41   #37
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
.... You can store for about $600 per month at a dock but that isn't a good idea during the hurricane season.
Depends where you are. My boat was at Johnny's dock in Nanny Cay for eleven years, during which we had FIVE...count 'em....FIVE major hurricanes with over 100 knots in the marina. NO significant damage (just a scrape on the stern when the boat backed into the dock during one of the storms).

But, then, Johnny is/was an absolute tiger when it comes to securing boats in hurricane conditions. The network of 3/4" nylon lines and anchor lines and such would make even an energetic spider envious :-)

BTW, the only boats suffering significant damage in Nanny Cay during those years were those which blew over in the yard.

Bill
S/V Born Free
42' Perry sloop
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011, 16:03   #38

Bill - you are correct about the Nanny Cay dock, I heard about Miles running around in 70 knot winds during Earl securing boats. I made my post while thinking about the damage to Leverick, the missing docks at the BEYC and damaged boats at Hodges Creek. I assume that Moorings/Sunsail put all their boats in the hurricane hole and didn't leave anything at the docks - I can imagine that Road Town can get hit by surge.
Old 15-01-2011, 16:53   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
, I heard about Miles running around in 70 knot winds during Earl securing boats.
Yo Zan - Is that the same Miles that worked for Conch?

Mark Twain
knotnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 05:41   #40

knotnow - I don't know if he ever worked for Conch, but he is a younger British expat and is one of the managers for the Nanny Cay docks (the other expat is Keith).
Old 22-01-2011, 15:55   #41

Boat: Bavaria, 12.3m
Send a message via Skype™ to Otia
Check out Horizon Yacht Charters (HYC) in the BVIs or Grenada. You should be able to find a nice Bavaria there. I got mine from HYC-Grenada and I keep it there under their care. IMHO, HYC not only takes better care of their fleet, they also are more demanding when qualifying customers. For having been a charter customer, I find that the more popular (bigger) charter companies are not serious when it comes to qualifying customers. It matters when you are going to own a boat that was chartered... Also, HYC is doing a great job at caring for my s/v while I'm away.
Old 22-01-2011, 18:22   #42

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft
mooring prices/locations

Exploring the idea of sailing my boat down for a winter, could only do if affordable moorings available. Anyone know of any affordable long-term moorings? Other islands to recommend? St. John sounds appealing, is it easy enough to get there and do they have some moorings?

c.s.
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2011, 12:13   #43

Boat: Bavaria, 12.3m
Send a message via Skype™ to Otia
I don't know St John, nor the BVI, I hear they've carpeted the anchorages whit moorings, charter business dictating the rules. But in the Windwards, where I hang out, you can always anchor for free. There are people who will even "park" their boats at anchor while away, it does not get cheaper than that if you're willing to risk it...
Old 23-01-2011, 16:10   #44

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot
Quote:
Originally Posted by knotnow View Post
Yo Zan - Is that the same Miles that worked for Conch?
No - its Miles Sutherland-Pilch who has been at Nanny Cay for a good few years now. The Miles you are thinking of left Conch a few months ago and moved to Thailand with his wife (who is Thai) and kids. Tony
bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
British Virgin Islands