Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-02-2020, 05:04   #226

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Belize Cruising

Whew...could you narrow it down a bit?

The barrier reef is ~130 miles long, if you take the rough linear distance of the 3 atolls thats another ~130 miles of reef (not including the thousands of corals heads and patch reefs inside the atolls), and to that all the inumerable reefs and coral heads inside main barrier reef...thats a lotta reef, with thousands of good snorkel/dive spots.

Are there specific areas in Belize that interest you?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2020, 09:27   #227

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

FWIW We are currently in US with boat in Roberts Grove Marina near Placencia. It looks like there are as many as 3 different charter operations in the same little basin. Sunsail is one I remember. You could call that Marina - they are very helpful. and they might tell you more. Looks like Moorings is next door.

Advantage of chartering out of B City is no need for expensive connecting flight or 4 hour hot bus ride down to Placencia. But if you do bus, they can drop you off right at Roberts Grove./ Moorings. And you see the country as well.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 06:43   #228

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
FWIW We are currently in US with boat in Roberts Grove Marina near Placencia. It looks like there are as many as 3 different charter operations in the same little basin. Sunsail is one I remember. You could call that Marina - they are very helpful. and they might tell you more. Looks like Moorings is next door.

Advantage of chartering out of B City is no need for expensive connecting flight or 4 hour hot bus ride down to Placencia. But if you do bus, they can drop you off right at Roberts Grove./ Moorings. And you see the country as well.
Sunsail/Moorings are colocated in Laura Beya marina. Dont know of a 3rd.
Old 25-03-2020, 13:23   #229

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Sunsail/Moorings are colocated in Laura Beya marina. Dont know of a 3rd.
Ah, there is a 3rd charter company in Placencia now. Dream Yacht Charters.
Old 25-03-2020, 21:22   #230
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Quote:
Ah, there is a 3rd charter company in Placencia now. Dream Yacht Charters.

So..., the other post is correct. There are only 2 charter companies (worth considering), Sunsail and The Moorings.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2020, 05:17   #231

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
So..., the other post is correct. There are only 2 charter companies (worth considering), Sunsail and The Moorings.
Much depends on the base manager. Ive no experience with their base in Placencia, but I have delivered a boat purchased out of charter from their Martinique base and I was impressed with their maintenance. The boat was in very good condition and their maintenance manager was really on top of things.
Old 27-11-2020, 09:19   #232

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatchcaye View Post
I live on an island in Belize that gets lots of cruisers in our`area. I can help with any questions people have about approaches, immigration check ins, and great places to see. I can also help with those going to Rio Dulce from Belize or with those leaving Rio Dulce and heading north.
Hi could you recomend someone to do a survey in belize
grobles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2020, 18:32   #233

Quote:
Originally Posted by grobles View Post
Hi could you recomend someone to do a survey in belize
Thatchcaye hasn't posted here in about a year.

Currently, all the good licensed surveyors in the area I know are based in Rio Dulce, Guatemala. For example, John Brandes at Rio Dulce Marine Surveyors | Serving the Western Caribbean areas of Central America including Guatemala, Honduras, Belize, and Southern Mexico.
Old 28-11-2020, 08:41   #234

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
"Sancturary Bay", the abomination of a development which has destroyed an extensive area of environmentally important fringe mangroves in Sapodilla Lagoon has other troubles as well in the form of FTC actions against them.

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/sanctuary-belize-f-a-q

Regardless of whether the marina is currently operating or not, my suggestion is dont support a bunch of environmentally irresponsible scum bags.

Well people are not getting that message. It is the favorite place to go from central Belize. Fuel and water from the dock, safe from the wx fronts. There is even a beach club.
It is obscene looking place, but the Mangroves are returning.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2020, 09:37   #235

Quote:
Originally Posted by model 10 View Post
Well people are not getting that message. It is the favorite place to go from central Belize. Fuel and water from the dock, safe from the wx fronts. There is even a beach club.

It is obscene looking place, but the Mangroves are returning.
My hope is that the FTC shuts them down and the mangroves can start reclaiming the land...unfortunately I doubt that will happen.

Developers just need to put the right $$s in the right politican's pockets and they can do whatever they want in Belize.
Old 05-01-2021, 13:03   #236

Is this thread still active? I've just arrived in Belize (by air) and will be cruising on a shallow draft (4') boat in the area for the next 3 months. Any suggestions on good places to visit with current covid restriction? I'm starting in Placencia and gradually making my way to Mexico.
shaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 18:17   #237

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaen View Post
Is this thread still active? I've just arrived in Belize (by air) and will be cruising on a shallow draft (4') boat in the area for the next 3 months. Any suggestions on good places to visit with current covid restriction? I'm starting in Placencia and gradually making my way to Mexico.

You are brave to travel by air. The last I read, Belize still would not let you leave an approved (for Covid) hotel unless you were in an approved (for Covid) tour so you could not just wander around as you need to. Our boat is in Placencia but I won't fly there until I get a vaccine.

Please update all of us on your experience as it happens.
Old 06-01-2021, 16:28   #238

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaen View Post
Man, thats a BROAD question...there are dozens of cayes, a couple of hundred miles of reef (and thats just the barrier reef), 3 atolls...can you narrow down what you are looking for a bit?

Do you have a copy of Freya Raucher's cruising guide?
Old 07-01-2021, 07:14   #239

Quote:
Man, thats a BROAD question...there are dozens of cayes, a couple of hundred miles of reef (and thats just the barrier reef), 3 atolls...can you narrow down what you are looking for a bit?

Do you have a copy of Freya Raucher's cruising guide?
I do have a copy of the guide, I'm based out of the moorings base in Placencia until jan 21, then would like to take another couple of months exploring the cays as long as we can extend our 30 day tourist visa. I've found lots of sand Flys and rain in this area (what we would call a no-see-um). I'd like to spend time somewhere that's drier and more bug free I'd possiblewith good snorkeling nearby.
shaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 08:37   #240

Boat: Seafarer36c

San Pedro has fewer bugs downtown than the others, but the anchorage sucks.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Belize