Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 15:56   #16

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"
Re: Bahamas entry fee

Note that there is no fee at all mentioned for boats that are 30'6"!
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 16:00   #17

Boat: Cape Dory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
Here's the current Bahamas gov't page:
Customs & Immigration - Vacation Planning | The Bahamas

Boats:

If entering The Bahamas by boat, there is a flat fee to clear Customs and Immigration, which is $150.00 for boats 30 feet and under and $300.00 for boats 31 feet and over. This covers a vessel with three persons or less. Also included is a cruising permit, a fishing permit, Customs and Immigration charges and the $25.00 Departure Tax is waived for up to three persons. Each additional person above three will be charged $25.00 Departure Tax. In Grand Bahama the Departure Tax is $28.00. If you plan to stay longer than 12 months, special arrangement must be made with Bahamas Customs and Immigration.
Wow. It says they are taxing all beer too at $18 a case! Guess they are going back to their plundering roots, eh?
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 16:00   #18

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Damn -- I just Googled a bit more and found another Bahamas gov't page that has contradictory info. So we're right back where we started. Sorry.

By Private Boat - Vacation Planning | The Bahamas

Entry Fees:
Vessels up to 35 feet: $150.00*
Valid for two entries during a 90-day period.

Vessels over 35 feet: $300.00*
Valid for two entries during a 90-day period.

*Listed entry fees apply to vessels with four persons or less. The fee covers a cruising permit, a fishing permit, Customs and Immigration charges, and the $15.00 per person departure tax for up to four persons. Each additional person above four will be charged a $15.00 departure tax. If you plan to stay longer than 12 months, special arrangements must be made with Bahamas Customs and Immigration. Regular hours for Bahamas Customs and Immigration Officers are 9:00 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays. Officers are on-call during holidays and weekends. There is no overtime charge.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 16:04   #19

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

They just changed the break point from 35 to 30 feet. Affects very few. But if it's you I guess it's tough. I remember when they changed it from about $10 to $100. What a hue and cry. Boycott the Bahamas!! Now it's $300 for most of the cruisers. It's beautiful cruising grounds. Well worth it. Remember the fishing license is included.

Rum Cay
Old 04-02-2013, 16:24   #20

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

We sorta figure if ya think it's to much money, Then don't go !! It's there country, they can charge what they want !! It seems high to us to but it's real close and real nice !! way better then stayin at home LOL
Old 04-02-2013, 16:38   #21

It's really too bad they dont offer something cheaper for people who just want to stop by or stay a week or less. I would think they are losing alot of money from the sportfishers....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 16:41   #22

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Regardless of some of the website showing the old fees, the current fees are $300.00 for boats over 30 feet and $150.00 for boats 30 feet and under. That's the current fees today and that's what your going to be charged. We have not had one report from any cruiser that has gone over since the fee change that was charged based on the old fees. We hope to cross to Bimini on Friday and the fees there are based on the new size perimeters. So there shouldn't be any confusion. We know for a fact that some of the official Bahamas websites have not been updated but the original posting by Cormorant is correct. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 16:43   #23

Maybe they don't want the sportfishers... More fish for the cruisers.

It seems like a 29'11" boat is the way to go. Do many people go to the Bahamas in boats under 30' for two-three months this time of year?

I wish I were down there right now.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 16:57   #24

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
It's really too bad they dont offer something cheaper for people who just want to stop by or stay a week or less. I would think they are losing alot of money from the sportfishers....
Keep in mind that $US300 buys you a year in the Bahamas if you get extensions which are easy to get. You can also leave and come back. For lots of sports fishermen out of Miami it amounts to a very small charge.

Not to mention that lots of the boats used to fish from will burn $US1,500 of gas a day which puts a $US300 fee in a different perspective.

Not to say it does not happen but I have to wonder just how many folks who visit the Bahamas for a week or less.

Don't take this to mean I am happy with the fee, just that when gas costs five dollars a gallon or more at the marina 300 does not look so bad.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 17:00   #25

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman
It's 300 if you are over 30.! That's the way it be! Good sailing

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 17:00   #26

Boat: Mac 26X
Mine is 32'...sucks to be me lol.

Honestly $300 isn't a significant amount of money versus the costs of a trip BUT if you're passing through I can see avoiding it. I have a sailboat, so I'd never go for less than a few Weeks anyway. But if you're a power boat guy who can cross the stream in a few hrs, I can see this being an issue.
Old 04-02-2013, 17:30   #27

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

For sportfish it's nothing. A very small one burns over 20 gallons per hour. That's $80 right now. For one about 60 feet (and there's lots out there) about 85 gph - about $340 every hour cruising. And they all go into marinas that cost $3 to $4 per foot. For sailboat cruisers that spend a few months in the Bahamas it's not exorbitant. For three month a year, $100 a month. The longer you stay the better it gets. If you're passing through, go around. But you'll miss some beautiful waters.

Old 04-02-2013, 18:37   #28

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
For sportfish it's nothing. A very small one burns over 20 gallons per hour. That's $80 right now. For one about 60 feet (and there's lots out there) about 85 gph - about $340 every hour cruising. And they all go into marinas that cost $3 to $4 per foot. For sailboat cruisers that spend a few months in the Bahamas it's not exorbitant. For three month a year, $100 a month. The longer you stay the better it gets. If you're passing through, go around. But you'll miss some beautiful waters.

+1

There isn't any place closer to the U.S. with better sailing waters. Just my 2 cents.

(Would that be 5 cents in Canada now?)
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 19:21   #29
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Hmm, that is new: I checked in at Bimini the 14th of January 2013 and paid $150.00
Last year in May it was $300.00 but they changed it back to $150.00 after a few weeks and promised money back to us who paid the temporary $300.00. Never got any money back and don't expect I will.

If they are trying the $300.00 again, raise hell with the Ministry of Tourism in Nassau. Send emails, etc, I sure will, or start cruising to Key West and the Dry Tortugas more..
Old 05-02-2013, 09:44   #30

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 31 - Cielo Azul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterwayguy View Post
Regardless of some of the website showing the old fees, the current fees are $300.00 for boats over 30 feet and $150.00 for boats 30 feet and under.
I'm 30.5 and was charged $150, ditto for another sub 31 boat I talked to.
Tom
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas