Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2011, 20:50   #1

Boat: Gulfstar Sail Master 47
At Lake Worth Inlet waiting to cross

My wife and I are new to sailing. We are in our mid 40's. We purchased our 37 Irwin sloop last year and spent every day working on it. She is finally complete. We have sailed her down from Jacksonville, Fl and sitting at peanut island hoping to meet some folks to travel with to the islands since this is our first time. We are in no hurry and can go anywhere. Any suggestions?
ASIMPLELIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2011, 20:52   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Re: At Lake Worth Inlet waiting to cross

Yup..... run south a ways down Biscayne Bay first and leave from Caesar Creek or even Key Largo.... save you a lot of crabbing in the Gulf Stream
Old 27-12-2011, 21:17   #3

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASIMPLELIFE View Post
My wife and I are new to sailing. We are in our mid 40's. We purchased our 37 Irwin sloop last year and spent every day working on it. She is finally complete. We have sailed her down from Jacksonville, Fl and sitting at peanut island hoping to meet some folks to travel with to the islands since this is our first time. We are in no hurry and can go anywhere. Any suggestions?
This would be a great time to start doing what will become second nature as your cruising adventure evolves. Look around the area, notably the north end of Lake Worth, for boats outfitted similar to yours, and dinghy over and say "hi, my names ----".
You'll be invited aboard to share ideas and concerns and after meeting a few boats you'll join with someone who has been there and done that to receive advice or to buddy boat.

This is what I did and it became one of the most enjoyable aspects of the whole cruising experience.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2011, 22:19   #4

Boat: csy 37

back up a few miles and hang out in north lake worth. after passing marker 28 on your port, look for marker 1 leading off towards the northeast and into old port cove. as you go deeper in you'll see a small fleet of sailboats hanging out waiting for weather to cross or still loading supplies. anchor at the north end of the lake and use your dinghy to go up the small stream that is crossed by a small bridge. you'll probably see dinghy's tied up there. tie up yourself and walk down the block to the shopping center (big publix supermarket). stop by to say hello to other boats in the anchorage waiting to cross. you'll meet them again in the abacos. last year we had ten cruisers around our salon table talking sailing and cruising. some even brought snacks.

as to crossing, it really is better going further south. if going to west end, fort lauderdale isn't a bad jumping off spot but there are precious few places to anchor there while waiting on weather. biscayne bay and that vicinity has many more waiting places, and is a better start if you're going to bimini. we crossed to the abacos from lake worth this summer but made our entry at memory rock; we didn't actually clear customs till we got to green turtle cay. and we had to do more motoring during the crossing than i had wanted to. but once you're at memory rock you're in shallow water the rest of the time you're in the abacos so you can literally anchor anywhere.

and whatever you do, don't go unless you're totally satisfied with the weather report.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 00:18   #5

if you use that dinghy landing by the bridge in north lake worth be sure and lock your dinghy to the fence or you may be forced to swim back to your boat Lock your outboard as well
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 00:27   #6

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
if you use that dinghy landing by the bridge in north lake worth be sure and lock your dinghy to the fence or you may be forced to swim back to your boat Lock your outboard as well
AAARRRGGGGGGGG there be petty pirates there these days
Old 28-12-2011, 02:55   #7

Boat: Island Packet 380 - Delta Blues

This time of year, just make sure you have a good weather window with plenty of room for error in making a crossing. It's too early for the Abacos, in my opinion. I concur with those who say head farther south and then cross to Bimini.

https://sailingdeltablues.com/
dennisjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 07:11   #8

Anglefish Creek just north of Key Largo worked well for our Irwin 43 Elsa Jane.Reef markers well lit for earely mourning departure so you can be on the bank by noon
jwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 07:17   #9
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

I have made the crossing from Lake Worth more times then I can remember, its about 58nm to West End-and an easy day sail or motor there- North of Peanut island as the others have said is a good place to meet folks, OR south of Peanut island as well you will see a lot of boats at anchor waiting- Ive lived in the area for 50 years and sometimes I hop in my dink and just motor up to the yachts and say hi! Watch out for the Manatees there hundreds of them in the area right now ! Down town has built a lot of dock space is FREE , for day use, so you can walk around there & its nice
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 16:45   #10

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

I've left for the Bahamas from Lake Worth more than any other departure point. I like that it has free anchoring, is a short crossing and has many restaurants, beaches, and marine stores within a reasonable walk.

My personal preferences it to leave early and make West End that afternoon without the need to stay awake all night. Personally, I find trying to travel with other boats to be more of a negative than positive. I'd rather leave when it's right for me to leave and travel in a way it's right for me to travel than based on what others prefer.

I like to check in at W.E. rather than points south so I can legally enjoy all the that the northern Abaco Cays have to offer. I usually pull up to the sea wall in front of custom's to check in, but rarely stay at the marina for the night due to cost considerations.

If there is a forecast of sustained, moderate to strong SE winds, then I like to head south to Fort Lauderdale so I have a better angle on the wind. I've also learned I much prefer a broad reach on a light NW wind to a sailing close hauled into SE winds.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 08:09   #11

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

Last time I went into the Bahamas, I also left from Lake Worth Inlet. Nothing wrong with crossing to West End from there. We left at night and arrived off of Old Bahama Bay after sunrise. The entrance to Old Bahama Bay is very straightforward and easy, and the customs office is a stone's throw away from the docks. Good luck, have fun and post pictures!
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 08:55   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

If you get a chance, stop by my West Palm store and say hello to Mike the manager. Tell him I sent you. If you need marine supplies the store is within walking distance of the West Palm City docks. If you give them a call, they will arrange to deliver to you at the docks and save you the walk. No charge for the delivery. They are at 207 Sixth Street in West Palm. The phone is 561.832.4206.
Old 29-12-2011, 09:09   #13

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Hop Car, Thats a really nice service for us old Gummmers !! I remember packing 30 ft of BBB chain 20 blocks in the rain down there once LOL. free delivery is somerthing others should think about Thanks in advance from a future customer!! Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 10:12   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Hi Bob and Connie, We offer free delivery in Miami as well. If you feel like a ride up the Miami River in your dinghy, you can tie up at our dock.
Old 29-12-2011, 10:22   #15

Boat: S2 9.2C
Good to know HopCar.
I'm not far from you either
WorldWind is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lake worth