Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2009, 07:15   #1

Boat: 1980 Cape Dory 30' Cutter - Swift Ranger
Anyone Crossing the Gulf Stream in March?

Hey All,

Just wanted to see if anyone was planning on crossing over to the Bahamas during the month of March. We will be awaiting a weather window somewhere around Angelfish key and were hoping to meeting up with some other people to make the crossing "more comfortable". We've been reading up (VanSant's Passages South) on making the trip, but at the end of the day, this will be our first crossing and we wouldn't mind a little company.

Thanks!

-Patrick
PaddyoRiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2009, 18:36   #2

Boat: Pearson 323 Vision Quest
Hi Patrick,

We are planning a Gulf stream crossing in late March, exactly when depends on the weather. We are currently in Port Charlotte, plan to be in the Dry Tortugas around 3/20. This maybe a bit late for you but keep in touch, did I mention that this will also be our first crossing ????
We thought about making a long crossing with the help of the Stream and checking into West End, then onto the Abacos. Our plans are flexible and we have no time table to keep.
Keep us posted, if we dont cross together, we would like to know how you fair.
Bob & Deb
bob_deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 07:27   #3

Boat: Skye 51' Obelisk
padday and bob,
we will be crossing in mid march albeit a little farther north. we're planning on charleston>saba around march 15, weather permitting. weather should be inproving the longer you wait--i'm just worried about hatteras in a week!
Old 05-03-2009, 17:48   #4
Jam

Hi there
Well March is here. We are presently awaiting a weather window on the west side of Islamorada. It sounds like Sonday monday will be the time. Anyone waiting to go.?
Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 19:30   #5

Boat: Mariner 40 - Sea Trek
GG and I will be leaving Charleston (Folly Beach) during a good weather window soon after the weekend of March 14. We'll stop in Dawtaw Island, Beaufort, SC to pickup a friend.

Anyone headed south, let us know if you will be in the Charleston/Beaufort area anytime soon. We enjoy meeting other cruisers.

"Our sails are set with courage and determination to live our life as told by the heart." Not all adults are meant to be grown-ups. We are proof of that!!!
DAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 03:30   #6

Boat: R&C, Leopard Catermaran, 47', Rapture
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam View Post
Hi there
Well March is here. We are presently awaiting a weather window on the west side of Islamorada. It sounds like Sonday monday will be the time. Anyone waiting to go.?

I am already in Abaco and had a great cross in about the same winds and seas you will be in. Have a Great Trip!
shawnbush12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:53   #7
Jam

I just read a few horror stories about the GULF stream, (made me rename it GULP stream) is there anyone out there who has done the trip from Tavenier and if so what course did you plot. I am counting on 20 degrees to make up for the current but I am wondering as I have gotten so much south. We thought we could cross over at Anglefish but there seem to have been some shoaling and the ranger advised against it, so we went on to Channel 5 instead. Well it is my first crossing and I am a bit concerned about it as my wife cannot take the wheel at all and I have no self steering. Any advise. I am familiar with crosing large oceans, having done the Atlantic on a 30ft boat, but that seem like a pond compared to the mighty GULP stream. Any advise would be appreciated.
Regards John
Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 20:42   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Hey Jam,

If you have crossed the Atlantic I wouldn't worry too much about the Gulf Stream. It's only 50-60 miles, depending on where you cross. Hang out somewhere nice and wait for a weather window. This time of year the deal killers are cold fronts coming in from the north. Usually very predictable and are well tracked as they move south so you will have at least a couple of days warning before one arrives.

So, make sure no front is due for a couple of days, check out current conditions and if they are mild, go for it. I'm usually in too much hurry and too lazy to tack across so crank the engine and motor.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:51   #9

Boat: temporarily boatless...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam View Post
We thought we could cross over at Anglefish but there seem to have been some shoaling and the ranger advised against it
John: can you tell me where you got this information? I go through Angelfish pretty regularly (well, every 6 weeks or so), and would like to know if this is true. thanks, pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2009, 10:56   #10

Boat: 1980 Cape Dory 30' Cutter - Swift Ranger
I apologize for not replying earlier; we have been without internet for some time now. Right now we're sitting around Gilbert's in Key Largo waiting for weather. Looks like April 1st/2nd might be a good time to cross, anyone still planning on going?

Paddy
PaddyoRiley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc, gulf stream