Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2023, 20:39   #1

Anyone been to Tobago Cays RECENTLY

Researching for a bareboat charter in August. I have never been there. Found this on a web site. Really? So, if I have a boat with 10 people I'm in for $15x10 plus $60 = $210/day to just be there? Where is the "marine park" vs everything else?

http://www.tobagocays.org/wp-content...-Fees-TCMP.pdf

Click image for larger version

Name:	tobago_cays.JPG
Views:	283
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	275397
RIglehart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2023, 02:50   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Re: Anyone been to Tobago Cays RECENTLY

I haven't been there, but St. Vincent and the Grenadines uses the ECU, which is pegged at 2.68 to the US dollar. So those are around $78 per day; but still quite high.
Old 15-05-2023, 15:23   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
I haven't been there, but St. Vincent and the Grenadines uses the ECU, which is pegged at 2.68 to the US dollar. So those are around $78 per day; but still quite high.
Thank you. That makes much more sense. I should have known that.
RIglehart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2023, 16:00   #4

We'll be there tomorrow. I assume it's EC, so about $20 US a day. I'll confirm.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2023, 17:00   #5

Was there 3 days ago. It's EC (was 90 EC per night for our boat... my wife and I)
mdelage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2023, 21:22   #6
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

So happy we were there before the fees and even before the moorings etc.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2023, 07:58   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

We went 35 years ago. And then again 6 months ago. SO disappointed. Be sure and bring food to eat aboard. The boat boys will take you to the cleaners. $55 US for chicken (3legs), $75 US for lobster. The boat boys have unionized. And they have universally adopted what THEY call, a “white tax”. My advice is to stick to Beqia, Mustique, and the Grenada Grenadines. Oh yeah, watch our in Clifton, Union Island. The boat boys have a little scheme where they run you over a mooring line just below the water, and then ping you for huge bucks to have it removed. It’s on Noonsite.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2023, 13:45   #8

Boat: Lagoon TPI

Was the highlight of our charters in the 90s. So sad it’s come to this ! We won’t be back.
old pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2023, 04:58   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I think the best place to be now is Carriacou. Always been nice, still the same today

Old 17-05-2023, 05:36   #10

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

Was there a year ago, and the year before that. Could all be different now. It was great, but I had only two people to pay for. Get outside the reef (dinghy thru a cut east of Baradal) and do a drift snorkel. Amazing. Saw a huge manta and sharks. Don't bother with snorkeling inside the reef. It was all bleached. Also good around the cliffs of the islands, but not like the outside of the reef.

Lobster dinner on the beach on Petit Rameau was fine, pricey, but okay for a one-time splurge, about $50 US per person. Lots of flies when the food comes out, but that is normal in these islands. Just knock down a few rum punches and you won't mind them so much.

Really liked Chatham Bay on Union Island. One of the best spots in the Grenadines. A couple of very cool beach restaurants. Try them all.

Clifton Harbour is a challenge, very tight, lots of current and breeze, one-way roundabout. Get a mooring or check your anchor very closely for drag before leaving for town. You can't use very much scope here without swinging into other boats. Very cool little town, and you have to go to clear out of SVG.

I can't love Tyrell Bay, Carriacou. You have to clear in there, so it's not an option unless you go on to Grenada. It is one of those end-of-the-line anchorages full of old boats (and boaters) that will never move again. Move on to Sandy Island, which is very nice, and Hillsborough. Then island hop to Grenada.

Fair Winds
derfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2023, 05:41   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by derfy View Post
Was there a year ago, and the year before that. Could all be different now. It was great, but I had only two people to pay for. Get outside the reef (dinghy thru a cut east of Baradal) and do a drift snorkel. Amazing. Saw a huge manta and sharks. Don't bother with snorkeling inside the reef. It was all bleached. Also good around the cliffs of the islands, but not like the outside of the reef.

Lobster dinner on the beach on Petit Rameau was fine, pricey, but okay for a one-time splurge, about $50 US per person. Lots of flies when the food comes out, but that is normal in these islands. Just knock down a few rum punches and you won't mind them so much.

Really liked Chatham Bay on Union Island. One of the best spots in the Grenadines. A couple of very cool beach restaurants. Try them all.

Clifton Harbour is a challenge, very tight, lots of current and breeze, one-way roundabout. Get a mooring or check your anchor very closely for drag before leaving for town. You can't use very much scope here without swinging into other boats. Very cool little town, and you have to go to clear out of SVG.

I can't love Tyrell Bay, Carriacou. You have to clear in there, so it's not an option unless you go on to Grenada. It is one of those end-of-the-line anchorages full of old boats (and boaters) that will never move again. Move on to Sandy Island, which is very nice, and Hillsborough. Then island hop to Grenada.

Fair Winds
We all used a trick years ago… I bet it still works: you can check into Grenada and St Vincent simultaneously and sail back and forth. IIRC St Vincent doesn’t stamp the passport?

Old 17-05-2023, 16:55   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

To follow up on my post about the St Vincent Grenadines. We liked Carriacou so much we flew up there for a week after our charter.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2023, 17:56   #13

Clifton isn't a problem to check into. We picked up a mooring with help from a local for $20 EC. Tobago Cays is lovely and is the same price as Sandy Islands in Cariacou. $20 US a night. Don't go to the beach barbecue if you don't want to, there is no pressure from the locals.

People down here are lovely and they work hard to make living. Are there problem people, sure, but they're problem people in Chicago too. Keep your eyes open and drive your boat properly. Don't do something you're uncomfortable with.
Old 17-05-2023, 18:02   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
We all used a trick years ago… I bet it still works: you can check into Grenada and St Vincent simultaneously and sail back and forth. IIRC St Vincent doesn’t stamp the passport?
Hmm,. Not today
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20230518_005912930.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	419.8 KB
ID:	275467  
Old 18-05-2023, 01:03   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
Hmm,. Not today
Hmmm… and Grenada? It’s too long ago to remember how exactly it was done, but I believe only one stamped the passports and the other used a piece of paper to be kept in the passport…

Tags
Tobago