Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2023, 03:07   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Annapolis to the Keys in January

Our Discovery 67 is in Annapolis (brought there by the owner without me; I was too busy with my work in Europe). We want to have her in the keys and/or Caribbean over the winter. I might bring her down around Christmas time. I believe this may be a challenging passage that time of year -- against the prevailing winds, right? With an almost 100 foot mast, the intercoastal is not an option. Any tips? Might it be better to sail to Bermuda and then back across?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 03:35   #2

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Annapolis to the Keys in January

Winds are usually out of the North in Winter up this way since we have front after front coming through or nearby.

Prevailing winds usually SW which in a normal years is Spring and Summer much of the time. This year however we had lots of Northerly winds throughout that period.

Most years the really cold weather starts in January so if you can get far enough South you'll be in good shape.

The problem with the Northerly winds will be the Gulf Stream and Hatteras so you would probably sail East of the Stream picking a nice day to cross it with Southerly winds.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 03:48   #3

I don t know what your plans are for “the keys” but you will find a 2.6m draft extremely limiting. We have a 2m draft and we just don’t go there.

We do this passage frequently, usually from the Chesapeake to Florida. In fact as I write this we are off Cape Lookout headed south. Winter in the North Atlantic is not to be trifled with. It’s true that the prevailing winds are contrary. The normal strategy is to wait for the passage of a cold front and ride the NW flow on the back side. Cold front. January. You getting it? Right now we are on a fast sleigh ride with 25 to 35 knots straight out of the north. Fast. Cold. I’d not want to be doing this in January.

Weather forecasts can get dicey too. It is not unusual that “bomb” cyclones develop right off the coast in the winter, and sometimes with very little notice. A boat of that size will have very limited places to duck in and hide.

But… the right weather window can work. One of my memorable passages was a delivery from Charleston to Antigua leaving on Dec 26. We did have to motor for 4 days to start, but it was overall a delightful trip.

In short, it’s all about waiting as long as it takes for a good weather window. Weeks, maybe. If you leave when you “have to” instead of when you should, you will be sorry. If you are not comfortable with doing your own weather in this part of the world, hiring a professional weather router would be an excellent investment.
SailingHarmonie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 03:59   #4

Somebody has already said it, more or less. “Hatteras, Gulf Stream, North wind! You’re going to die!”

Baloney. There is a simple solution. Do not go into the Gulf Stream. It’s a tight turn right around Hatteras, but if you stay in less than 200 feet of water it’s not a big deal, assuming you are avoiding a full blown NE gale. Once you get 30 miles south of Hatteras, the GS is no longer a factor at all for a coastal passage, if you pay attention to your course. By the time you get to cape lookout it’s 40 or 50 miles off shore.
SailingHarmonie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 04:27   #5

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

couldn't have said it better than SailingHarmonie.

That's exactly what I was going to post.

Just be ready fir the cold - although with El Nino, maybe not
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 04:35   #6

Boat: Bristol 27

18 year old Tania Aebi on her Contessa 26 sailed out of New York straight to Bermuda first.

Then after a break to rest, relax, and do boat repairs she sailed to St. Thomas.

It appears though she did leave in May. (1985)
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 04:45   #7

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

It is going to be cold, I would take it down to Norfolk, VA and wait for a 2 day weather window to Beaufort, then wait (if required) for another 2 day window to Charleston. It will be warmer , but again day hop weather windows hugging the coast to Florida. It might take a month, don't be in a hurry.
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 05:32   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Winds are usually out of the North in Winter up this way since we have front after front coming through or nearby.

Prevailing winds usually SW which in a normal years is Spring and Summer much of the time. This year however we had lots of Northerly winds throughout that period.

Most years the really cold weather starts in January so if you can get far enough South you'll be in good shape.

The problem with the Northerly winds will be the Gulf Stream and Hatteras so you would probably sail East of the Stream picking a nice day to cross it with Southerly winds.

Extremely useful; thanks!!
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 01-11-2023, 05:36   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingHarmonie View Post
I don t know what your plans are for “the keys” but you will find a 2.6m draft extremely limiting. We have a 2m draft and we just don’t go there.

We do this passage frequently, usually from the Chesapeake to Florida. In fact as I write this we are off Cape Lookout headed south. Winter in the North Atlantic is not to be trifled with. It’s true that the prevailing winds are contrary. The normal strategy is to wait for the passage of a cold front and ride the NW flow on the back side. Cold front. January. You getting it? Right now we are on a fast sleigh ride with 25 to 35 knots straight out of the north. Fast. Cold. I’d not want to be doing this in January.

Weather forecasts can get dicey too. It is not unusual that “bomb” cyclones develop right off the coast in the winter, and sometimes with very little notice. A boat of that size will have very limited places to duck in and hide.

But… the right weather window can work. One of my memorable passages was a delivery from Charleston to Antigua leaving on Dec 26. We did have to motor for 4 days to start, but it was overall a delightful trip.

In short, it’s all about waiting as long as it takes for a good weather window. Weeks, maybe. If you leave when you “have to” instead of when you should, you will be sorry. If you are not comfortable with doing your own weather in this part of the world, hiring a professional weather router would be an excellent investment.

Thanks. The keys are not my idea! I think the Bahamas would also be problematic.

Cold weather doesn't bother me too much -- I have an Arctic Ocean crossing under my belt, plus at least a dozen North Sea crossings. This boat (like mine) has central heating.

We have satellite comms so we'll be able to keep a close watch on the weather.
Walt Whitman
Old 01-11-2023, 05:41   #10

Boat: Finnsailer 38

As someone else pointed out there aren't too many places in the Keys you can even approach with a draft of over 8 feet. Key West is about it.
Old 01-11-2023, 05:42   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Tin View Post
It is going to be cold, I would take it down to Norfolk, VA and wait for a 2 day weather window to Beaufort, then wait (if required) for another 2 day window to Charleston. It will be warmer , but again day hop weather windows hugging the coast to Florida. It might take a month, don't be in a hurry.

I don't have a month! I would like to do it nonstop if possible, at least to, say, Miami. Norfolk to Miami is only about 750 miles, a bit over 4 days at our typical 180mi/day in this boat, and could be less with a good wind.

That assumes, however, a 4 day weather window, which may be a big assumption.
Walt Whitman
Old 01-11-2023, 05:42   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
As someone else pointed out there aren't too many places in the Keys you can even approach with a draft of over 8 feet. Key West is about it.

Thanks; that's useful.
Walt Whitman
Old 01-11-2023, 05:53   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I guess, however, getting around the Stream is going to add some miles to that.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-11-01 145219.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	452.5 KB
ID:	282904
Walt Whitman
Old 01-11-2023, 06:25   #14

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Needless to say, Cape Hatteras is a problem at any time of year, but in January can be particularly nasty. To get around Diamond Shoals and Cape Lookout Shoals you have to go out close to the edge of the Gulf Stream, and in a northeaster you have a nasty lee shore with no safe harbors close to your west. This makes it imperative to not leave the Chesapeake without a great forecast no matter what the schedule. Once south of Cape Lookout things will warm up considerably and you begin to have options in case of an approaching front that looks particularly nasty. There are several major inlets and harbors you could potentially duck into if needed: Beaufort, Cape Fear, Charleston, Savannah, Fernandina, St. Johns River. I've blasted down this coast in November with the wind offshore (from the NW), staying in as close as I could in relatively moderate seas. Once you get south of Cape Canveral you have to hug the coast to stay out of the Gulf Stream, which is right at the sea buoy by the time you get to Fort Lauderdale.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2023-11-01_09-18-27.png
Views:	133
Size:	284.8 KB
ID:	282905  
Old 01-11-2023, 07:43   #15

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Dockhead We've made this trip (in January) from Charleston down to Ft Lauderdale. Your tough part will be rounding Hatteras.

Get down to Norfolk and wait for your weather window to round. Then get close to the coast and you'll not have any issue with the Gulf Stream. But it will be cold - pack your long underwear.

Your boat is big enough that you can ride a bit rougher weather than our 40 footer.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annapolis