Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2011, 14:40   #31

Re: Abacos to Daytona Beach - Best Way In ?

I have done that stretch about 10 years ago with 6'5" draft. Did a little plowing here and there... oh and ran aground going into the entrance to Harbortown although they said "no problem come on in"
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 13:05   #32

Boat: Ovni 345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
oh and ran aground going into the entrance to Harbortown although they said "no problem come on in"
Same history in Harborsquare where my baot is now waiting for me, my centerboard touch the bottom in the entrance of the marina. But with my centerboard up I have only 2 feet of draft so it was ok at the end.

Thanks a lot for you answer.

I have read that the thunderstorms was frequent in august. What do you do If one arrive with all your electronic like VHF do you unplug them ?

Thanks
fblc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 13:15   #33

I wasnt there in August (thank goodness!) It's hard to figure what to do about T'storms. Seems like they occur starting about 3pm many afternoons. I guess it's the luck of the draw really...unless you have an easy way of disconnecting everything every afternoon! I also hit a very hard solid object (directly accross the channel and a little North from the Harbortown entrance on the East edge) the next time I passed there. I was hanging to that side due to shallow water the previous time. Bang...very solid hit..not like most the ground in Florida! Maybe it's a sunken wreck or junk...??
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 13:53   #34

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag

During a real bad thunderstorm just hang on! The wind gusts can knock you down under bare poles. The rain can limit your visibility 50 to 100 feet. The last storm I was in, we kept the same channel marker in view at all times and yes, the wind gust knocked us down. You can see the storms coming but sometimes the storm stops once it hits the ocean. Many of the storms are formed over the hot inland areas and move Eastward.

Dot and John
scallywag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abaco