Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2009, 15:14   #1

Abacos in April

Hello, I'm going on a Moorings Catamaran Charter April 20-28 and I've heard conflicting things about the weather. Some people have plain out clenched their teeth telling me it's cold and others say it's gorgeous. I am very nervous about not being able to be on the boat in my bathing suit and swimming...it's my first time and I thought I was picking a good time of year. The average temp looks to be 80. Can someone give me the real skinny on this if you've been there this time of year? Are people exaggerating on the cold? I am not looking to be cold on my vacation....help and thanks!
jerseygrl73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2009, 16:29   #2

Abacos in April

The weather should be warm but the wind can blow hard during the spring and make sailing in deep water difficult. Your chances of having good weather are better in April than Jan., Feb. and March. Winter and Spring have cold fronts and high pressures that you have to deal with, Summer and Fall give you hurricanes and tropical waves. Expect perfect weather but prepare for a day or two in the cabin if the weather turns bad. Have fun.
OldDrunkenSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2009, 16:34   #3

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
jerseygrl73,
It would help knowing where you reside. If you were from New England, I would say you would find it hot. If you are from New Jersey and you have a cold spell the first week of April you will find it comfortable. Living in Northern Florida, I would take a bathing suit but if it was windy, I would problably find it cool. In 90 degree weather, I go into 88 degree water and am confortable. After an hour I start to freeze because of the ocean breeze. I come out of the pool and sit in the shade to warm up before I go into an airconditioned house of 80 degrees. If I go into the house right from the pool I freeze. Whether you freeze or are comfortable at 80 degrees depends on what your body is accustomed. I wore a hooded sweatshirt and a leather jacket in Nova Scotia while the residents wore a tee shirt and shorts. They thought it was hot because they had a brutal winter.
John
scallywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2009, 20:28   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Are people exaggerating on the cold?
If you think you are cold you probably are. My wife is always cold. I'll agree April is better than now or next month. It beats staying home! May would be warmer and June would be hurricane season. About this time we go much farther south for a sure thing. January can be better than New Jersey though you might not be in a bathing suit swimming. For Bahamas I think you picked well. We start sailing here in April. We don't swim though.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2009, 07:38   #5

Thanks

Thanks for the replies everyone. I grew up in New England, so I'm sure I'll find it warm, I am a little disappointed we may not be able to swim in the Abacos end of April. From what I'm hearing, the water is very cold. I probably would have picked May, but I heard April was very pretty....I feel like I did some good research, but heard different things after I booked.
jerseygrl73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2009, 08:29   #6

Boat: Caliber 35
I have been cruising with stops in the Abacos in April and you can be sure the weather is usually warm enough to go swimming and snorkeling. Cold fronts can make it very windy but the sun can be intense on untanned skin. Use sunscreen. You will want to go again.
roundabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2009, 09:42   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
jerseygrl73, 'sounds like you'll be sailing out of the Conch Inn in Marsh Harbor. Even during the most harsh weather at that time of year, you will have easy, protected water, sailing to Guana Cay, Man-O-War, Hope Town, and Little Harbor. We swim there in february and march on sunny days and late april should be beautiful. It's no different from the weather in Ft. Lauderdale or Miami. By june and july the water will be warmer, but afternoon squalls and thunderstorms are more frequent. Any later, the chance of a hurricane could destroy your plans. From someone who's been sailing the Abacos since 1975, I'd say april and may are the best choice. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2009, 10:34   #8

Boat: searching
After February

Lived 15 years in Miami and never saw cold weather after February. All t-shirts from then on. The Abacos should be about the same. Maybe a light jacket at night?

Never could figure why the boat show">Miami boat show was not moved to March. Spent many a boat show in the 50's with the wind making it much colder.

And never take a January vacation in the Keys, I did it once and spent 2 days in the sack, 30 something and the wind was up about 30 kts.
Old 21-02-2009, 11:02   #9

greetings jerseygrl73,chartered there late April last year (2008) and all six of us found the water plenty warm for swimming, even me (I'm fussy about cold water), even east of the islands open water snorkelling. it can get cooler for a day or two, in May even, but I agree with OldDrunkenSailor - my bet is, the weather will be gorgeous and you'll have a great time.

Seajayer
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2009, 16:36   #10

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
I usually swim and snorkel in the Abacos in January which is typically colder than March. I've only had a few times when it was too cold for more than a couple days.

When, it's windy and cool, find a nice sheltered beach somewhere, even during the coldest times, if the sun is out, it's usually nice once you are out of the wind.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2009, 18:15   #11

Boat: CSY 44' Grace
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygrl73 View Post
Hello, I'm going on a Moorings Catamaran Charter April 20-28 and I've heard conflicting things about the weather. Some people have plain out clenched their teeth telling me it's cold and others say it's gorgeous. I am very nervous about not being able to be on the boat in my bathing suit and swimming...it's my first time and I thought I was picking a good time of year. The average temp looks to be 80. Can someone give me the real skinny on this if you've been there this time of year? Are people exaggerating on the cold? I am not looking to be cold on my vacation....help and thanks!
April is one of the best times to be in the Abacos. Enjoy yourself. It is warm but might be a little nippy at night. Fleece cover up works great.
Old 21-02-2009, 18:36   #12

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
I am currently there (Abacos) as we speak (so to speak). I swim on sunny days with no issues. A shorty wetsuit is nice but I find it a pain. April is a good time but you may get a bad week. If you extended to 10 days you would be sure to have 5-8 good ones. There is much to do and a few days of partly cloudy will not bum you out.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abaco