Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2022, 04:56   #16

Boat: Chris Craft 38 Commander 1965
Re: Abaco Bahamas first time

I spent a month in the Abacos in June 2021 Spanish Cay, Green Turtke, Hopetown, Littke Harbour, Boat Harbour, Orchid Bay, West End. Had a great time but the Bahamas towns were nowhere ready for prime time. Enjoy the water and it’s activities associated with boating. There are very few stores or tourist shops open anywhere. A grocery and fuel sparsely available. One restaurant per island with a take-out or two maybe.

Pete’s Pub fully intact as always. Marsh Harbour except for Abaco Boat Harbour was still decimated As of last July. Hopefully starting back to normal. Same with Treasure Cay and Green Turtle.

Most rental contracts forbid going west of Whale Cay when the passage is closed due to Rage. Insurance cancelled for any hull or running gear damage. Including the Don’t Rock passage.
Squanderbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2022, 11:07   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squanderbucks View Post
I spent a month in the Abacos in June 2021 Spanish Cay, Green Turtke, Hopetown, Littke Harbour, Boat Harbour, Orchid Bay, West End. Had a great time but the Bahamas towns were nowhere ready for prime time. Enjoy the water and it’s activities associated with boating. There are very few stores or tourist shops open anywhere. A grocery and fuel sparsely available. One restaurant per island with a take-out or two maybe.

Pete’s Pub fully intact as always. Marsh Harbour except for Abaco Boat Harbour was still decimated As of last July. Hopefully starting back to normal. Same with Treasure Cay and Green Turtle.

Most rental contracts forbid going west of Whale Cay when the passage is closed due to Rage. Insurance cancelled for any hull or running gear damage. Including the Don’t Rock passage.
It's hit and miss for hurricane recovery. Green Turtle Cay now has more restaurants open than before the Dorian, 15 at last count, along with 3 grocery stores and gas and diesel at the Green Turtle Club. Just across the sound at Treasure Cay, on the other hand, there's just one restaurant open and Treasure Cay airport is still a mess.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	269704276_10165778147200507_5021368750077639166_n.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	255303   Click image for larger version

Name:	269692259_10165778147265507_5530391340735667096_n.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	255304  

redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2022, 12:51   #18

Boat: Jeanneau SO45.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdflyer View Post
My daughter would like to see the pigs at noname and I would like to see the art foundry at Little Harbor.

Tip: we saw the "swimming pigs" at Big Major's Spot in the Exumas, where it's suggested to stay in the dinghy - good advice (one almost climbed aboard, notwithstanding).

When we fed the iguanas at Allan's Cay, we had bamboo brochette skewers left over from the previous night's BBQ, and they were ideal for offering food well clear of fingers. Should work for pigs as well (although one iguana scurried off with the skewer as well as his chunk of meat).
Redline452 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 04:22   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline452 View Post
Tip: we saw the "swimming pigs" at Big Major's Spot in the Exumas, where it's suggested to stay in the dinghy - good advice (one almost climbed aboard, notwithstanding)...

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 08:31   #20

Old 01-04-2022, 10:03   #21

... aaand the picture didn't post. my first attempt. Ah well. Imagine you see a pig's snout close up with its forefeet on the side of the dinghy.

Old 02-04-2022, 09:51   #22

Boat: Leopard 45

I've done three charters in the Abacos and my favorite spot was Nunjack cay just past Greent Turtle Cay. There is picture perfect bay at the far North end with good holding and protection from wind and current. Try to drop anchor there in the late evening because by 9 AM the next morning there will be lots of commercial skifs bringing tourists in to feed the rays and nurse sharks that are so tame they will eat out of your hand. You can just join in the fun as they will have loads of cut up squid to feet the sharks and rays. The rays will cruise around your feet and ankles and you can reach down and pet them as they eat out of your hand. Much better than trying to feed a hungry 500 pound pig that may mistake your hand as part of the food. On the plus side the pigs will eat ANYTHING including any of the scraps of organic discard you would have to throw in the garbage. They will open their mouths wide like a big garbage disposal and take anything you dump in. Be careful as they can get a bit agressive in their desire to get fed. They have been known to try to hop in a dingy to get at your treats.
Have fun!
cheers,
jim
jim King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 07:52   #23

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the insight.

My understanding from what I’ve read, please correct me if I’m wrong,

Don’t drink the water from the tank unless you run it through an additional filter, but the water on the islands itself is fine

Pigs probably not worth it and as my crew is very inexperienced I don’t know that we want to risk getting stuck waiting on whale cay passage.
Jdflyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abaco, Bahamas