Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2024, 07:16   #1

Boat: Hallberg Rassy Monsun 31
VAT question- Norwegian registered boat, UK/Irish citizen

Hi,

I worked in Norway last summer, and am doing the same this summer. I work from March to October. I bought a Halberg Rassy Monsun 31 last year (built in 1979), which is registered here in Norway (the boat has never left Norway).

Next year I won't be working in Norway, and after putting the boat back in the water in April 25, I intend to leave Norway. I'm trying to weigh up my options regarding VAT rules and requirements as to where I should go- the UK, or somewhere in Europe. I'm hoping someone may be able to make it clearer for me.

So, Norway registered boat, and I am a UK national, but also have Irish citizenship.

If I go to the UK, I think I have to pay VAT no matter what, unless I am intending to then export the boat. But to be eligible I must be resident outside of the UK (this is hard to prove as I have two jobs so pay Norwegian tax and also UK tax). If I take it somewhere in Europe, I imagine they will assume I am just visiting as it's Norwegian registered- I understand that I don't need to clear out if traveling from Norway to Denmark or Sweden.

I'd love to find a home for the boat somewhere in the EU, and am not averse to paying EU VAT if I absolutely have to, I just wonder if anyone has experience of something similar to the above and knows what the options are regarding avoiding VAT or not? I searched all the forums and couldn't found anything that relates to my circumstances in terms of country of boat registration and my nationality.

Any advice greatly appreciated
RichNjord is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat