Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2019, 17:08   #31

Boat: Hans Christian 33
Re: Schengen Visa

Thank you for the clarification.
I’d be interested to know what “too boring” might mean...not worth dealing with over-regulation?
I’ve never been to the Med side of Europe and looking forward to cruising on our own merit.
Looks like it’s going to be tricky managing Schengen but hopefully worth it.
I’m anticipating being ready to settle back into a tradewinds crossing for Grenada.
RobMinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 18:34   #32

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMinton View Post
Thank you for the clarification.
I’d be interested to know what “too boring” might mean...not worth dealing with over-regulation?
I’ve never been to the Med side of Europe and looking forward to cruising on our own merit.
Looks like it’s going to be tricky managing Schengen but hopefully worth it.
I’m anticipating being ready to settle back into a tradewinds crossing for Grenada.
Every 90 days you have to leave, wait 90 days to re-enter, so from the west med you have to race to the east in 90 days to get out, then back into the zone for 90 days and so forth......if all of North Africa was ok it might be easier and more interesting....but the run from Italy to Gibraltar to get out then Moroco before having only several days in the Canaries doesn't sound fun. A good friend did his year+ in the Med several years ago was forced to do this run to get out.........YES I KNOW you can leave your boat and leave for 90 days but if it's your home, how do you do that?
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 18:46   #33
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdiver View Post
Every 90 days you have to leave, wait 90 days to re-enter, so from the west med you have to race to the east in 90 days to get out, then back into the zone for 90 days and so forth......if all of North Africa was ok it might be easier and more interesting....but the run from Italy to Gibraltar to get out then Moroco before having only several days in the Canaries doesn't sound fun. A good friend did his year+ in the Med several years ago was forced to do this run to get out.........YES I KNOW you can leave your boat and leave for 90 days but if it's your home, how do you do that?
I’m guessing that your friend didn’t know that Croatia, Montenegro, Albania and Tunisia aren’t part of Schengen. He should have turned east instead of west. Then of course there’s Egypt, Israel and Turkey to name a few more spots ouside of Schengen and the EU.

Schengen can be easily managed if one knows what their doing.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 18:51   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I’m guessing that your friend didn’t know that Croatia, Montenegro, Albania and Tunisia aren’t part of Schengen. He should have turned east instead of west.
He spent 90 days in Croatia, then 90 days rounding Italy that was not really planned, he expected to be further west as his 90 days ended, thus the run for the pillars......
Old 07-03-2019, 18:52   #35
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Schengen Visa

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdiver View Post
He spent 90 days in Croatia, then 90 days rounding Italy that was not really planned, he expected to be further west as his 90 days ended, thus the run for the pillars......
Ahah.. sucked into the pasta huh..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 19:19   #36

Boat: Outbound 44

Looks like USA visitors will now require a non-visa for Schengen countries

Quote:
Americans who want to travel to 26 European nations will have to register and receive a travel authorization before visiting, the European Commission announced today.

Beginning Jan. 1, 2021, Americans who want to visit a large swath of Europe — including nations from Portugal and Greece to Iceland and Norway — will have to register through a system called the European Travel Information and Authorization System no matter how long they plan to stay.

Story Continued Below

Once issued, the permit — which the commission insists is not a visa — will be good for three years. The commission had considered instituting a visa requirement for Americans, but ultimately decided against it in 2017.

The new requirements cover a zone known as the "Schengen" area where countries have abolished most of their mutual border controls as part an effort to foster European unity
https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...europe-1214607
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 19:32   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post

Couple years back there was an EU "commission" said something similar...turns out they are not the group in charge of issuing visas.

Anyone know if this is the same commission spouting off? Then again, sounds like it's just a registration with no real ability to allow or disallow entry...they already have pretty much the same info electronically when you arrive at customs & immigration.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 15:14   #38

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post

It will be required by everyone that can enter EU visa free. It is similar to the US ESTA.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 17:43   #39

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Couple years back there was an EU "commission" said something similar...turns out they are not the group in charge of issuing visas.

Anyone know if this is the same commission spouting off? Then again, sounds like it's just a registration with no real ability to allow or disallow entry...they already have pretty much the same info electronically when you arrive at customs & immigration.
Not sure who, but it looks like it is a done deal for most countries now
https://www.etiasvisa.com/
https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/etias/

They are promising 24 hour approval and a nominal fee and I think I read it will be good for 3 years. I guess we will have to wait and see if it works they way they want it to.
Old 11-03-2019, 17:57   #40
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Schengen Visa

I think this will be the same as the USA ESTA which is valid for just two years.. good for 90days stay at a time when arriving by air..
Entering by private pleasure vessel will remain as it is currently.. unless they go for the B1/B2 style US visa.. also valid for just 90 days at a time..
Sorry to dash your hopes guys..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 00:05   #41

Canadians get 180 days in the US and UK, like we are thier little brothers eh!
Old 21-03-2019, 04:11   #42

Boat: Jenneau 45.2

Well as th OP thank you for your comments.
Unfortunately I am still not any wiser.
This could turn into a major problem and needs to be addressed.
There are thousands of British yachts permanently moored in or cruising the Mediterranean. To limit them to 90 days is going to cause mass confusion and also a possible mass exit.
Hopefully individual governments may make favourable decisions, but at the moment with all the uncertainty re Brexit I doubt anybody has even thought about it.
In the meantime I return to Greece tomorrow to launch my boat and cross my fingers��
Jenneau Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2019, 10:40   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenneau Owner View Post
Well as th OP thank you for your comments.
Unfortunately I am still not any wiser.
This could turn into a major problem and needs to be addressed.
There are thousands of British yachts permanently moored in or cruising the Mediterranean. To limit them to 90 days is going to cause mass confusion and also a possible mass exit.
Hopefully individual governments may make favourable decisions, but at the moment with all the uncertainty re Brexit I doubt anybody has even thought about it.
In the meantime I return to Greece tomorrow to launch my boat and cross my fingers��
VAT paid boat, the flag doesn't matter......it's the body driving it that has 90 days for us new worlders.......a friend keeps his Canadaian flagged, EU purchased, VAT paid boat in Spain and flies in for 90 days every spring, some of his friends (me) use it with him when he returns in the fall......
Old 29-03-2019, 17:54   #44

Location: house is in melbourne australia and Muscade currently in Med.
Boat: fontaine pajot Marquises 56

Dont overstay schegen time in greece, they will fine you and can block you from commi g back, even if your boat is there. They will count the days in your passport.
Its fairly easy to apply for a long stay visa in portugal.
karabil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2019, 18:01   #45

Location: house is in melbourne australia and Muscade currently in Med.
Boat: fontaine pajot Marquises 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMinton View Post
Back to Schengen...

Our upcoming itinerary looks something like: US > Bermuda > AZORES > Portugal > Med for the summer. Turning around this November for the CANARY ISL. > Cape Verde then crossing back to the Caribbean.

Help me understand something... When we check in to Azores (Portuguese territory) this summer, do we have 180 days to cruise the Med, turn around and be gone from the Canaries (Spanish territory)?

The book ends of the Schengen for us are "territories" of other nations but aren't Schengen Nations. Do these territories apply to the "180 days, 90 days in, 90 days out" rule?
They counted our time as starting when we arrived at the azores, and did not discount the transit time between azores and mainland portugal. Tneir reasoning was that we were in portuguese waters.
karabil is offline   Reply With Quote