Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2023, 12:35   #1

Boat: Hylas 54
Radio Operators Certificate in EU

I am about to head off on a Transatlantic sail from USA to UK by way of Azores. Many of the entry requirements for EU countries including Portugal and UK state that a valid radio operators certificate is required to be shown when clearing in.

I have been trying all day to work my way through the USA’s FCCs website to get a certificate, and I think I may have completed the right forms…but there will be a delay before I get anything back.

My question: for those entering EU countries, particularly in the Azores and UK, how common is it for authorities to ask for proof and what happens if you might not have it!?
Hobiehobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2023, 14:48   #2

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Re: Radio Operators Certificate in EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobiehobie View Post
I am about to head off on a Transatlantic sail from USA to UK by way of Azores. Many of the entry requirements for EU countries including Portugal and UK state that a valid radio operators certificate is required to be shown when clearing in.

I have been trying all day to work my way through the USA’s FCCs website to get a certificate, and I think I may have completed the right forms…but there will be a delay before I get anything back.

My question: for those entering EU countries, particularly in the Azores and UK, how common is it for authorities to ask for proof and what happens if you might not have it!?
WE are europeans and have sailed through most of it. No one has ever asked for my VHF certificate. Not sure what would happen if they asked and you didn't have one.

By the by - the UK is no longer a part of the EU. The rules may be different there

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2023, 15:07   #3
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

You must have a station license and operator license in every country. Citizens of the US do not need to have one in the US but they do need it when leaving US waters. Luckily for them, they can get the certificate by throwing some dollars to the government and do not need to pass any exams.

You also need an official MMSI number, not the ones you can get from BoatUS.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2023, 15:08   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
WE are europeans and have sailed through most of it. No one has ever asked for my VHF certificate. Not sure what would happen if they asked and you didn't have one.

By the by - the UK is no longer a part of the EU. The rules may be different there
^^^+1

Over 35 years sailing, mostly in Med and NW Europe, and no one has ever asked for my VHF certificate. (But I have my LRC always with me)
Just boat certificate (always), insurance certificate (always), and some time (rarely) my sailing licence/certificate

Twice I landed in the Azores and nobody asked me for it (Many years ago)

But even I don't know what can happen if they ask for it and you don't have.
Old 27-05-2023, 15:21   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
You must have a station license and operator license in every country. Citizens of the US do not need to have one in the US but they do need it when leaving US waters. Luckily for them, they can get the certificate by throwing some dollars to the government and do not need to pass any exams.

You also need an official MMSI number, not the ones you can get from BoatUS.

The official MMSI number is mandatory "only" if he has a DSC VHF, or other radio equipment with automatic call (as EPIRB, etc.)...
...but as he's preparing to a Transatlantic sail from USA to UK, I realy hope he has both (VHF/DSC and EPIRB)
Old 27-05-2023, 16:05   #6

Boat: Hylas 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle ITA View Post
The official MMSI number is mandatory "only" if he has a DSC VHF, or other radio equipment with automatic call (as EPIRB, etc.)...
...but as he's preparing to a Transatlantic sail from USA to UK, I realy hope he has both (VHF/DSC and EPIRB)
Two EPIRBS, three PLBs. Official MMSI. All good.
Hobiehobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2023, 16:19   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Radio Operators Certificate in EU

Never been asked for a VHF certificate.. but I do carry one.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2023, 05:47   #8

Boat: Jeanneau 57

While the SRC and LRC are required, I've never been asked to show either one; even when being boarded and inspected.
It is most likely that, should an incident or accident occur that involves the use of VHF or SSB, the lack of a proper license would be a factor in the legal/civilian matters. The ITU delegates enforcement to the signatory states and as far as I know their enforcement division works in offices and regulates the frequencies and corporations from a desk rather than in the field

On a related note - in Germany there was a lot of back-and-forth several years ago about requiring a VHF license (the "SRC") for the captain of a vessel with one aboard, be it installed or portable. And the watchstanders were supposed to have a certificate as well. In the end they dropped those requirements, but just for watchstanders...
Old 28-05-2023, 05:57   #9
ejs

Boat: Leopard 48

Been in the Med a year and have had to show my radio license twice. Croatia and Albania. I know other boats checking in to Croatia who didn't. I think it depends on the officer.
ejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2023, 06:34   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

No requirement to possess a licence for a VHF in the UK, only to operate one, there is a subtle difference. I think you might find that you have to be a UK resident to have a UK VHF licence too, but that would need checking.

No one will ever ask for it in the UK. I have been asked to confirm my call sign once in 30 years. Thank fully the VHF is labelled with the letters and numbers.

If you have a US radio, does it have the option to switch to international channels? There is a slight variation on some frequencies I believe.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/manage-your...ensing-service

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2023, 09:51   #11

I am a pilot with a FCC Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit which is required when I fly outside the U.S.

Would this be permitted when I'm sailing outside of U.S. waters?
alshml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2023, 12:19   #12

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejs View Post
Been in the Med a year and have had to show my radio license twice. Croatia and Albania. I know other boats checking in to Croatia who didn't. I think it depends on the officer.

Both these countries are way down on the corruption perceptions index.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2023, 12:37   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by alshml View Post
I am a pilot with a FCC Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit which is required when I fly outside the U.S.

Would this be permitted when I'm sailing outside of U.S. waters?

Same permit RROP for air and sea
You also will need a ship’s station license
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2023, 14:14   #14

Boat: Jeanneau 57

@alshml - my unrestricted pilot's license ("AZF", for IFR-flights) did not allow me to operate a ship's VHF according to the German authorities.
Old 28-05-2023, 23:48   #15
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

You need a GMDSS license.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio