Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2016, 16:12   #16
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Marseilles - Canarie Islands * any tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
BTW What design is the boat pictured? I like it. I have not seen this design before, I think.

THX in advance!

Hugs,
b.
Aint got a clue.. took a while to find a picture of what I meant.. the name of the mast fitting fell into a black hole.
Think its American so maybe someone will offer an opinion/answer

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2016, 09:11   #17

Re: Marseilles - Canarie Islands * any tips

Methinks too late in the year for the Canaries. In any case these islands are a poor enough cruising grounds, long passages between islands, and fierce Venturi effect acceleration zones between islands also! Winters are not so severe in southern Spain.There is a great inlet Cala Addaya in Minorca,a hurricane hole if one should occur!Marineros can be persuaded to keep an eye on your boat if you need a break.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
paulclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2016, 10:28   #18
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Marseilles - Canarie Islands * any tips

I'd head further S than the Ballearics.. having wintered there a couple of times I can tell you it gets cold at night.. down to 4-8c.. much better head for Almerimar and swing of the hook between there and Mazaron where you have half a dozen anchorages all within a daysail..
In Almerimar marina I doubt a 27ftr will break the bank.. I berthed a Lagoon380 there off season for 19euro/night short stay.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2016, 10:30   #19

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulclan View Post
Methinks too late in the year for the Canaries. In any case these islands are a poor enough cruising grounds, long passages between islands, and fierce Venturi effect acceleration zones between islands also! Winters are not so severe in southern Spain.There is a great inlet Cala Addaya in Minorca,a hurricane hole if one should occur!Marineros can be persuaded to keep an eye on your boat if you need a break.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
It is a qualified Yes and No.

Distances between islands are from 5 to 50 miles - a daysail is all it takes for any passage.

Every island has at least one, many have a handful of ports and every island has at least one marina. Facilities vary from present to excellent.

There are many anchorages and these vary from paradise style crystal water and flat sleeping to rolly 'lunch only' ones.

Weather is very moderate all year round. Acceleration zones are part of the image but nothing dangerous or unpredictable.

Winter storms are one off events, two off at worst. ;-)

Food is inexpensive and good quality. Flights are frequent and cheap.

Local wine is excellent, local rum .. skip it.

Winter sports are great: ultrarunning, surfing, kiting, gliding, biking, trekking, diving and snorkeling are done year round and at world top level. Competitive basking is also doing great and beaches are full of beautifully tanned people all year round. It is a pleasure just to sit on the sand, in the ever present sun and take in the atmosphere of good fortune.

Canary people are among the nicest on planet Earth. Adopted foreigners vary from just domesticated to super nice.

So, as you said, it is not quite Med style cruising but it is still a great year round destination for any yachtsman hailing from the North.

For the more adventurous ones there are Marocco, Sahara, Cabo Verde and Senegal near by to explore.

Big hug from our sunny outpost,

barnakiel
Las Palmas
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2016, 04:09   #20

Boat: Hallberg Rassy

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
It is a qualified Yes and No.

Distances between islands are from 5 to 50 miles - a daysail is all it takes for any passage.

Every island has at least one, many have a handful of ports and every island has at least one marina. Facilities vary from present to excellent.

There are many anchorages and these vary from paradise style crystal water and flat sleeping to rolly 'lunch only' ones.

Weather is very moderate all year round. Acceleration zones are part of the image but nothing dangerous or unpredictable.

Winter storms are one off events, two off at worst. ;-)

Food is inexpensive and good quality. Flights are frequent and cheap.

Local wine is excellent, local rum .. skip it.

Winter sports are great: ultrarunning, surfing, kiting, gliding, biking, trekking, diving and snorkeling are done year round and at world top level. Competitive basking is also doing great and beaches are full of beautifully tanned people all year round. It is a pleasure just to sit on the sand, in the ever present sun and take in the atmosphere of good fortune.

Canary people are among the nicest on planet Earth. Adopted foreigners vary from just domesticated to super nice.

So, as you said, it is not quite Med style cruising but it is still a great year round destination for any yachtsman hailing from the North.

For the more adventurous ones there are Marocco, Sahara, Cabo Verde and Senegal near by to explore.

Big hug from our sunny outpost,

barnakiel
Las Palmas
Hey Barnakiel!

Thanks for your response. Do you have any specific anchorages or suggestions ranging from Free-cheap??
Cpt. Black SOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2016, 06:59   #21

Boat: a sailing boat

Pick up a volume of RCC / Imray : 'Atlantic Islands' from any boat in a Med marina. Copy relevant pages. The descriptions are full and I found them accurate. Their chartlets are good too. You can often grab a copy of the book on book swaps at marina office or launderette.

Anchoring is free except for Las Palmas harbour.

Marina prices vary from inexpensive to mid Med level. Govt owned harbours and marinas are less expensive than private ones.

How inexpensive it will be may depend on how far you anchor from the facilities and joys that you want to get to.

Normal circulation is winds and swell from the N quadrant. Pick up your anchorages accordingly.

Should a Low be forecast for the Atlantic and tracking N or NE this may bring a short period of instability. These are not common but will happen in the winter.

If you do not like one place you simply roll on to another island and taste the wine there. Benefits of an island sate.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote